Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-08-2003, 03:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Yes. I believe the European spec SVXes had the powermode button and manual switch. Manual switch is on the array of buttons and powerswith is where our (US Specs) manual switch is located.

L
The UK spec cars have an 'econ' button on the gear lever. This seems to disable the power mode, lower the rev limit and make things generally sluggish. Does not seem to have a great effect on fuel economy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 02-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I think the ZOOM is controled by the inductor valve between the two halves of the intake manifold. Sometimes it does its thing and other times it doesn't.

There is a write up on this in the SM that explains this valve but I have not found the section that talks about how to trouble shoot it.
I think it would fairly easy to hook up a volt meter to the ECU pin that works this. Then it would be easy to tell when it comes on. It would be the major factor for increasing the HP along with some extra GAS cause it puts more air in the engine.
also a somewhat common problem with 928's - a sticky "flappy" valve that selected between the dual induction paths. is the SVX's valve electrically, or vacuum actuated?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 02-08-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:59 PM
alacrity024

i think that i can settle this "32 extra hp in power mode" quarrel. as is clearly indicated in the following totally legit dyno chart, power mode affords the svx driver an additional boost of high-end horsepower. note that at lower rpms, power mode suffers a minor loss of power. torque graph was not avaliable because the dyno blew up when we tried to run power mode.

oh, this is with the FWD fuse in, so assume a 5% loss of horsepower when AWD is implimented.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynochart.jpg (28.7 KB, 354 views)
Old 02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
What is the peak HP? and at what RPM?

I'll try to drive in that range all the time.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-08-2003, 06:06 PM
alacrity024

Sorry lwin, the scan of my totally legit dyno chart must've clipped the numbers off. in normal mode, peak HP (~170-180 at the wheels) generally comes on at about 5400rpms. The interesting thing is that in power mode, the peak power (~380hp) doesn't start to come on until about 6k rpms..

-adam

(totally legit here)
Old 02-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

also a somewhat common problem with 928's - a sticky "flappy" valve that selected between the dual induction paths. is the SVX's valve electrically, or vacuum actuated?
That is a vacuum actuated valve. It has a reservoir with a check on the inlet and the solenoid valve is between the res and diaphragm for the inductor valve.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
The interesting thing is that in power mode, the peak power (~380hp) doesn't start to come on until about 6k rpms..

-adam

(totally legit here)
Lol...What???

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:54 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
So does the dyno chart truly confirm it? Or is it just the cause of the rumor? Im confused
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

read what it says at the top of the "dyno" sheet
Old 02-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
read what it says at the top of the "dyno" sheet
I am suprisied that you did not get the torque figures, as that is what the dyno actually measures. Can't you just do a redraw and call it torque Use a different colour, paint box has plenty

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
an old trick for 928's (which came mostly automatic, to the U.S. anyway) was to put in a parallel kickdown switch. i put a momentary switch on my deadpedal in parallel with the kickdown switch under the gas pedal. i could hold it down with the left foot if i anticipated a "takeoff." it would kinda trick the computer into inducing kickdown more readily, but other factors were involved (speed at which you hit the gas pedal, current speed, etc.) very far.
I got a White 89 Eagle Premier ES Limited from a tuner that worked for state police in IL near Chicago. It had something under the hood that looked like 2 cables for the trottle but one didn't go to the throttle body. Somewhere near the floor, the pedal would "click". Do it twice holding it the second time and suddenly I would get an extra 30-40mph.. very nice on onramps. I was able to get some noise out of the tire at most every speed I could hear out the window. never really understood it. It was also my first car, I wish I still had it today.

But anyway... 92 LSL - one of the reasons I got it was for the mysteriously faster stock track times. I think the answer to this little "mystery" exists in the computer. Or maybe oil pressure... You know how you lose power when you lose your rings. I haven't had this problem with losing power on a second "mash" but maybe it seems faster the first time because during the first "mash" the engine is just perfect and happy and all that. The second "mash" there has been a bit of friction and you are losing ponies in the mix, maybe you are loosing your compression.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-10-2003, 02:09 AM

Registered SVX
A dynamometer can and will directly measure HP with a high degree of accuracy dependent only on the measurement of the electrical output of the driven dynamo. Also torque if the dynamo is as is usual arranged free to rotate against a lever and weight or calibrated spring.

But the Ò dyno Ò you pay to put your car on is usually based on a water brake and is not a dynamometer even though the title given it indicates otherwise. As Harvey has pointed out these machines can only measure torque with any degree of accuracy.

The HP readings which they produce are very much subjective and calibration is always in doubt as is repetitive accuracy. On top of this all the factors and limitations in respect of a road wheel driven device further reduce the prospect of accurate readings.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
92 with POWERMAD button.

My late '91 car has the POWER button on the console. Last year, I drove the car with it on all the time, and I will give you my impressions of it.

First, a little debunking. Most of you are talking about what "feels" faster, the whoaaaa factor, not measured in any meaningful way. Top gear [D4] is a ridiculously high overdrive, so talking about lockup has no relevance. The gear is for cruising in, not accelerating, and in my unhumble opinion, top gear does not "feel" fast at any time.

The 4EAT box tends to learn your habits, and give you a smooth ride all the time. I hate this. I like to think I am a smooth driver. When I want speed NOW in D, the box thinks I want to go a little faster, and tries to speed up in D, not possible, or at least not too satisfying or safe. If I mash the pedal to the carpet it drops about two gears and puts on POWER mode. However, I don't actually want to be blasting off into the sunset at full roar, I merely want to accelerate past quickly and without drama. NORMAL mode does not give you this.

With POWER button pressed, the car is more responsive, and does about 2 to 4 MPG less. It is also more nervous, will hunt more for the appropriate gear. NORMAL mode assumes that D4 as quickly as possible and held for a long as possible is the appropriate gear for all occasions. In the words of our esteemed Chairman,

Bleeccchhhhh.

Regards the extra 30 odd horses, they don't exist. However, with POWER mode on all the time, the car feels about 50 hp better, and this is logical. It will shift down quicker to a low gear, and hold it longer. What you are getting is power to the road when you want it from the meaty part of the rev range, i.e. between 3 and 5 thou in 3 range or 2 range. The car feels lots lots faster. One other thing the permanent POWER mode did, it allowed me to preselect 3 by dabbing the pedal when about to overtake. In NORMAL mode with the present tranny I have, nothing short of carpet bashing will produce a lower gear.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
Does a pedal mash induce power mode for you guys? I never could seem to get the light to come on when i mash the gas, but it does downshift and go up to like 5000 rpm.

The only way I could seem to get the power light to come on is by tapping the gas twice and holding the gas down on the second tap.

Anyone experience the same thing?
A swift "wellie" to the floor induces power mode in my car, without fail. Though, I've heard of varying effectiveness of this method. "Blondeman" used the "tiptoe" method. Others have reported a slower pedal to the floor activating power mode. I'm guessing that "regular" driving habits may have an effect on how the mode is activated, since the TCU adjusts to "lowest common denominator" driving. Just a theory.

John, are you talking about the "IRIS," as seen in this cutaway?

(Iris is the large gold "disc" at front of top of engine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx h-6 cutaway.jpg (93.1 KB, 192 views)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yeah that's the baby, the inductor valve. They SM also referes to it as the 'Supercharging Valve". Section 2-7 of the manual has a description of how it improves the volumetric efficiency of the engine, how more air gets into the engine. It's a pretty neat feature on the SVX. I am thinking that it doesn't always do it's thing in the low rpm zone but hey no proof. There isn't any detail on when it opens and closes relative to throttle position. It is very interesting.