How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 PM
scottswaaley

Squeaky Brakes

My brakes are really loud. I checked them otu and the rotors and pads are both in good shape. WHY ARE THEY SQUEAKING!?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Squeaky Brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by scottswaaley
My brakes are really loud. I checked them otu and the rotors and pads are both in good shape. WHY ARE THEY SQUEAKING!?
Ah...the infamous brake squeal. Which one do you have? Is it the one that happens when you press the brakes lightly or the one where you aren't even touching the brakes?

I get a little of both but I've grown to live with them and learned how to use the brakes to minimize squeal.

Use the search button to find out how other members dealt with this problem.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Check for worn pads, loose or missing shims, or binding calipers. I too was told by the dealers that brake squeal on the SVX was normal because of the metallic pads, but I think I now know how to tell the difference between normal and excessive. A brief squeal when the brakes are first applied could be normal. A continuous squeal under normal braking that goes away when the pedal pressure changes, either lighter or heavier, is probably indicative of something to be checked. In my case, both front calipers were severely binding. New pads with noise silencing shims all around and some Silglide to work the calipers free and they're now as quiet as ever. I could probably do with new glides too. Guess I'll call subaruparts Monday and add them to my already bulging order for $500 of miscellaneous parts.

KuoH