Old 07-08-2001, 12:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: back to the post??

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Guys, back to the original post -- What do you think of my idea about having a primary page infront before we hit the forum? Is is a good idea? bad idea? Admins? Randy?

Lwin
OK Lwin

Direct answer. If I read your question right, you are asking whether we should have a "Home" page in front of the current Forum page, which at present has all the navigation links. My view, yes, do it.

I personally like the business-like approach we have at the moment, but recognise that it is not in any way dressed up, nor does it offer any hint of the visual drama that is the SVX to visitors.

It adds colour, excitement, verve. Do it!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-08-2001, 12:42 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Idiot, lite

Yes Eddy

I know where you are coming from with this. My brother works as Workshop Manager for a major Renault dealership, and I have heard numerous stories of people, usually women, but not exclusively, coming in to have funny smells investigated after several days of a red light. "Oh, is that what that is for??"

Also, the warning light philosopy comes from a "You don't have to worry about that" marketing approach, the assumption is the systems put in place to protect the mechanicals insure it against disaster from all sides except perhaps against absolute "toopidity"

I still think the early cars have a serious inbuilt defect attributable to the design engineers, and not admitted by the company. Unlike you, I do not believe that the original design will always be the best, or that the company or the engineers can do no wrong. Like you, I have a very healthy respect for their knowledge, and the fact that they design in a holistic fashion that allows the car and all of its systems to work optimally together.

This does imply that to effectively improve on the design, you need to have more than a little of this same holistic approach to see what other effects your changes may drive.

The gist of all this rambling, I am hoping to put in an ATF temp gauge when I fix the box next month. In conjunction with the 19.000 lbs cooler, I will be able to thrash it with peace of mind!!

Heh, Heh, Heh.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-08-2001, 08:08 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Tint

Oh well....the car aint coffee but the transmission is chocolate.

Plain to see I aint one of them Gore-mays.... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-09-2001, 08:25 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Idiot, lite

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Yes Eddy

I know where you are coming from with this. My brother works as Workshop Manager for a major Renault dealership, and I have heard numerous stories of people, usually women, but not exclusively, coming in to have funny smells investigated after several days of a red light. "Oh, is that what that is for??"

Not only women Joe. How about the guy that came in with a knock in his engine, no oil on the dipstick. Pull the drain plug, (found no leaks whatsoever), and a small amout of sludge dribbles out. Pull the pan, oil so thick it was like gelatin. Ask the customer when was the last time you changed your oil? He replies "Nobody told me I had to change the oil!"

Or the fella from the south that got stationed at the base in Montana. Seems he was concerned about winterizing his car. His buddies convinced him to drain his coolant and put in some water from giant springs, "because that water never freezes all winter long." First cold snap that winter his block cracked.

Fotunately for both of these idiots, they were still under warranty and the manufacturer took care of the problem, even though they were clear cases of owner toopidity.
Old 07-14-2001, 03:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tint

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Oh well....the car aint coffee but the transmission is chocolate.

Plain to see I aint one of them Gore-mays.... Don
Don't ferget the Gore-may wheel bearings made from genn-yoo-wine rock solid garden peas!!!

PS:
Who is Stephen Wright?? Does he not realise research has shown your toast will always land butter-side up if you eat from a table more than 9 feet tall?? Unless of course you put jam on it, which changes the aerodynamics.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Tint

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Don't ferget the Gore-may wheel bearings made from genn-yoo-wine rock solid garden peas!!!

PS:
Who is Stephen Wright?? Does he not realise research has shown your toast will always land butter-side up if you eat from a table more than 9 feet tall?? Unless of course you put jam on it, which changes the aerodynamics.

Joe
Joe, Stephen Wright is a rather popular, "dead pan" American comedian. He delivers lines, such as the one Don used, totally expressionless. Sometimes the lines aren't that funny, it's their delivery. One of my favorites is, "One of my goals is to live forever. So far, I've got a good start."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-14-2001, 08:22 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
This end up...

<Unless of course you put jam on it, which changes the aerodynamics>

Here we get into some "fast" physics...breakfast to be exact. You have the relative masses of the butter (Btr) vs. the jam (Jm) to consider, and whether any rotational energy has been imparted to the falling slice as it was dislodged from the tabletop. Acoustic energy (A) imparted to the descending bread (B), such as a shouted expletive, may also add to the equation.

And less we forget, in this example we have included the countering "cat" factor; "C" being always greater in mass than "B" (even including the variables of Btr and Jm) the predicted outcome should be "B" over "C" unless "C" is distracted by "A" to some extreme degree, or the coefficient of paw friction against floor material in not sufficient enough to maintain "C" in the upright position relative to "B". So relatively speaking...

....the cat will always nip the bread no matter how you slice it ... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-15-2001, 08:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: This end up...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<Unless of course you put jam on it, which changes the aerodynamics>

Here we get into some "fast" physics...breakfast to be exact. You have the relative masses of the butter (Btr) vs. the jam (Jm) to consider, and whether any rotational energy has been imparted to the falling slice as it was dislodged from the tabletop. Acoustic energy (A) imparted to the descending bread (B), such as a shouted expletive, may also add to the equation.

And less we forget, in this example we have included the countering "cat" factor; "C" being always greater in mass than "B" (even including the variables of Btr and Jm) the predicted outcome should be "B" over "C" unless "C" is distracted by "A" to some extreme degree, or the coefficient of paw friction against floor material in not sufficient enough to maintain "C" in the upright position relative to "B". So relatively speaking...

....the cat will always nip the bread no matter how you slice it ... Don
Don,

I can't argue with your logic here.

This statement does not mean that your logic is so reasoned as to be beyond dispute, more that it is so far beyond reason, I can't dispute it.

BTW, I hope you brought the cat into this pussy physics to please Eddy. No other reason is acceptable. Schroedinger notwithstanding.

And anyone straps their toast to a cat to avoid it falling butter-side down, needs a hair of the dog.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl