IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 10:48 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Exclamation Sorta OT: What a week!!!

Just a little bit of venting for all who know me... my automotive week has not exactly been stellar!!!

First of all, my Fiero started having problems. People following various threads around here know I bought it as a beater for driving at work, keep the miles off the SVX. Well, at the weekend I started having cranking problems... battery kept dying for no good reason. Well, I jumped it using the rental car (don't tell Enterprise) and all was good until Wednesday night when I drove it... the bugger stalled going into the garage and hasn't started since. Click... click... clickity... click. Hmm... bugger. And Eddy... before you say it... I know!!!

Ah well, got the call yesterday at 4pm that my SVX was ready after being in the shop for 4 weeks solid for body work (it was crunched in a minor fender-bender while I was in New York... some lady in a pickup reversed into it in a gas station and crunched the front-left fender. What is it with my car, pickups and gas stations???? Those who remember well may recall that somebody reversed into my SVX in a pickup in a gas station back in November as well!!! Do I have a "reverse into me!" sign on my windshield?? Well, different pickup, different gas station... thankfully this time the lady admitted fault (mostly because my wife was inside the station paying for the gas at the time).

Anyhoo, I go to pick up my car this morning... he looks awesome (yes, my car's male... don't ask!). Perfectly matched paintjob, the only way you can tell the fender's new is to pop the hood and see that it's cleaner where it bolts on than the surrounding area... I really need to clean out my engine compartment. I get in, settle in and turn the key. Click. I stare at the key and turn it again... click. Beat my head on the steering wheel once then get out and have one of the shop guys give me a jump-start.

Well, suffice to say that I had hoped it would charge good driving to work this morning... it didn't. So I've just had to ask one of my co-workers for a jump-start, then go around to Autozone and get a new battery... for which I was $5 short!!!! ACK! Well, at the end of the day the guy at Autozone was cool and fronted me the $5 until next week (I don't carry credit cards, as those who've met me will attest), and now I've got a new battery, I've got a WONDERFUL looking SVX (that needs a wheel bearing... that's in next month's budget!), and a dead Fiero! So far this week's not looking great... so please everyone wish me luck as I spend the weekend cleaning my SVX out completely (it's a mess) and tearing my Fiero apart to find out what the hell's gotten stuck (I suspect the starter's frozen).

Thanks for listening to the rant, my friends... nice to always know I've got a place to let off some steam!

So when's the next nearby meet? I REALLY wanna meet Aredub
Old 06-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Venting

<Thanks for listening to the rant, my friends... nice to always know I've got a place to let off some steam!
So when's the next nearby meet? I REALLY wanna meet Aredub>

Rant away my friend! This site comes complete with a vent stack on the side to allow excess pressure to escape. Sorry to hear of all your problems (what IS it with left front fenders lately?); maybe the Pontiac's problem is not too serious.

Meet Aredub? Hey, we'd like to meet YOU! I am sure the fall season will be ripe with meets to attend....which reminds me, Jerry and I need to talk about Snowshoe II in a different location this year. Perhaps the Eastern Panhandle near Martinsburg...
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-29-2001, 11:03 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Sorta OT: What a week!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx

So when's the next nearby meet? I REALLY wanna meet Aredub
Venting steam here is very theraputic <sp?>. However, Im' not sure I want to meet Aredub...he'll probably beat me up!

And no, I won't say anything about the Pontiac Fiasco you bought, it's just plain not nice to add insult to injury...
Old 06-29-2001, 11:12 AM
Lowered SVX

here is my hell reply......

first of all i cannot seem to get the damn car in alignment since i have added the koni's and ground controls, dont worry i am not giving up!! secondly the guy who installed my koni's did not realized there was some extra room in the strut mount so for the last week the damn cartridge has been sliding around inside the mount. brilliant! yesterday i took it back to him and he fixed it to where the koni's are not sliding around now. only problem is now the cv axles i installed only five months ago have gone bad. he put it on the rack and we both quickly noticed that the damn cv axle had actually slide out of the transmission on the right side.....i guess from binding. he was going to bang it back in so i could drive it but i didnt think that would be a good idea. thankfully the cv axles are still under warrantly and she gave me a 50% discount on the labor. my luck with this car sucks! what sucks even more is that i am in love with her and could never sell her. so three days in the shop waiting on parts and a whole weekend later i will get my damn car back. i just want nothing to go wrong for the next six months.....please.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-29-2001, 12:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Thumper. Keep your pecker up, old boy. You have a right to be narked. I mean, after a week that's gone pear shaped on you, you can be potty. I just hope the week's events don't leave you too fagged to enjoy the weekend. Get some rest and everything will be tickety-boo. Toodle-pip.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 06-29-2001 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:16 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Venting

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<Thanks for listening to the rant, my friends... nice to always know I've got a place to let off some steam!
So when's the next nearby meet? I REALLY wanna meet Aredub>

Rant away my friend! This site comes complete with a vent stack on the side to allow excess pressure to escape. Sorry to hear of all your problems (what IS it with left front fenders lately?); maybe the Pontiac's problem is not too serious.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope they're all resolved soon.

Meet Aredub? Hey, we'd like to meet YOU! I am sure the fall season will be ripe with meets to attend....which reminds me, Jerry and I need to talk about Snowshoe II in a different location this year. Perhaps the Eastern Panhandle near Martinsburg...
Don
Eastern Panhandle would be cool - could attract some of the MD & NJ folks, maybe. Mid-October? Count me in. (This probably warrants a new thread)/
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<So when's the next nearby meet? I REALLY wanna meet Aredub>>

I'm flattered. But, if there isn't a nearby meet, we may have to make our own. I'm close enough to Saint Looey to make it a day trip on a weekend. I truly wish, however, that we could get the midwestern contingent together (Halistan, Cozypup, Kuo, Sung, et al). But, we're now going to have to wait 'til I get *MY* left front fender repaired. Us pearlies must be invisible to Pickups and SUV's --- GAH! I'm scheduled in on the 9th of July. They said it'd take 3-4 days. That's gonna be like a "bleedin'" eternity!

And, eddy, differences of opinion would never make me beat anyone up. I am looking forward to meeting you one day. Never know when I might show up in Idee-Ho looking for a new stock of taters.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-29-2001, 01:40 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: here is my hell reply......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i just want nothing to go wrong for the next six months.....please.
Well, I for one am sorry to hear about your bad luck! But can I hazzard a guess here and ask if you are not only having problems with your aftermarket parts, but also your independant mechanic? There is a wee bit of a lesson to be learned there.

When you start modifying things and using people unfamiliar with the cars...sorry, dood, I won't say what I'm thinking, because that would be heaping insult onto injury.
Old 06-29-2001, 01:52 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
And, eddy, differences of opinion would never make me beat anyone up. I am looking forward to meeting you one day. Never know when I might show up in Idee-Ho looking for a new stock of taters.
Ummm, okay, just leave the skewer and sour cream at home please.

Funny thing about living in Ideeho is that the license plates have *famous potatos* written at the bottom of them, but I have yet to see an Ideeho potato, they all say *washington* grown when I go to the grocery store. Yes, that and the average wage in the state is under 7 bucks an hour. Huge front line stories in the papers about that right now...not that it will help anything. I'd hate to sell our little home by the lake, but I'm afraid at 40+ years of age, 7 bucks an hour don't even motivate me to go out and look for a job here!

Oh, and HAR here...I go to the job service site every day...The highest paying job they have advertised now is 10.33 an hour and it requires a masters degree! Guess I'm going to have to start fixing cars again if I want to stay here, (sigh).
Old 06-29-2001, 03:00 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
<< I'm flattered. But, if there isn't a nearby meet, we may have to make our own. I'm close enough to Saint Looey to make it a day trip on a weekend. I truly wish, however, that we could get the midwestern contingent together (Halistan, Cozypup, Kuo, Sung, et al).>>

Hey man, that'd be cool. I wonder if we could all get something together either in St. Louis or the surrounding area. I'll drop emails to them all tonight and see if they're up for anything in a month or so. Me, I'm just too busy at the moment... building a new company from the ground-up is a LOT of work, but I'm already liking what I'm seeing here!

<< But, we're now going to have to wait 'til I get *MY* left front fender repaired. Us pearlies must be invisible to Pickups and SUV's --- GAH!>>

I really don't know mate... it's a mystery! That's TWICE for me now and ONCE for you... perhaps we should force mandatory vision-tests for SUV drivers? Oh, never mind... I've seen most SUV's... the drivers have failed already

<< I'm scheduled in on the 9th of July. They said it'd take 3-4 days. That's gonna be like a "bleedin'" eternity!>>

That's what they said about mine too... took three weeks! Be warned, if your front-left light is broken (the turn signal) then they're back-ordered... I'm driving with a cracked one until I get mine
Old 06-29-2001, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX
<<That's what they said about mine too... took three weeks! Be warned, if your front-left light is broken (the turn signal) then they're back-ordered... I'm driving with a cracked one until I get mine>>

That had BEST not happen! I'm afraid my patience bank ran out with the TPS fiasco. They have figured in another turn signal/side marker, but, there's really nothing wrong with mine. It was just popped out a little from the indentation of the fender, and a bracket that did not sit just right. Since I'm friends with the dude who did the estimate, I'll make sure they have the parts and they're ready to go on before I even drop my car off. It's only slightly humiliating driving an SVX with a dented fender. It's GROSSLY humiliating to have to drive around for three weeks in a friggin' motorized jellybean, which, no doubt, they'll put me in whilst the repair is going on. What really gripes me, is that they had to order the parts from the local dealership, with which I have not formed the fondest bond.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-29-2001, 03:50 PM
Lowered SVX

eddy.....

somehow i knew you would chime in with that i told you so nonsense. you are very predictable my friend. i love the SVX, but i love the SVX more with the mods i have made. it is not my fault that the mechanic is stupid and that noone knows how to work on my car. the instructions were clear and they screwed up. but today the fixed the damn car and now i am just waiting to get the new cv joints installed. i am not angry just frustrated that nothing with this car is easy. hell screw the mods it is hard to find someone who knows how to do oem stuff on the car. i also discovered today that my local subaru tech who did my timing belt change at 60,000 miles did not change the f**cking timing belt gasket or something like that. i have a little oil leaking. i have never dealt with anyone who is competent when it comes to working on this car......NEVER. (I will step down from my soapbox, bow and flip off the crowd.....yes I am that frustrated with ignorant people).
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-29-2001, 05:18 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Thumbs up Alrighty then.

Twas not my intention to tick you off. I will forever in your case refrain from telling you not to go to stupid mechanics in the first place, nor not to get aftermarket parts. It is after all your car.

Having said that, you can rest assured that I will be reading your posts about mechanics that can't follow directions with a little smile on my face. To me taking your car to someone that doesn't normally work on SVX's and asking him to install aftermarket parts is akin to going to the vet, handing him a pigs liver that you bought at the Safeway store and asking him to install it in yer gut. (Ohhhhh, that's kind of a nasty visual isn't it?)
Old 06-29-2001, 07:09 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Pigs?

<akin to going to the vet, handing him a pigs liver that you bought at the Safeway store and asking him to install it in yer gut. (Ohhhhh, that's kind of a nasty visual isn't it?)>

Have we done pig jokes? Let me check my little book here...(flip....flip) Lets see....fish jokes....cow jokes.....tater jokes.....zebras and other wildlife....various types of food....members home states....hmmmm...I don't seem to see pigs listed here at all..

Of course I could be bacon a big mistake, so I'll just sit here on the front pork, watch all the little chitlins play in the yard next door, and wait for someone to swine about pig jokes.
Me
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-29-2001, 10:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs down

..and what did the farmer apply to his prize hog to stop the squealing? Oinkment, of course. Good Lard, this stuff is awful.
Exit stage trapdoor. tsu.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.