Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Engine Rebuild Components Q's

So I have my engine out and pretty much torn down to the short block. I am deciding at 208k if I should go ahead and do a complete rebuild. Looking for options on the following (I have no plan to race or boost)

Pistons: Subaru? they have both STD and .25 over

Rings: Subaru both STD and .25 over. The ring set is $300. Are there other options that might be cheaper? Like EJ22 rings or is the SVX unique in this as well?

Main / Rod bearings: Subaru both STD and .25 over, but again at $300. I remember reading somewhere that EJ22 sets work (2 sets needed). Can anyone give some information on these?

I plan on doing Oil pump/ Water pump / timing belt.

Machine work will include the heads as well. I am still pricing this out. If I cannot find rings/bearings for less than $300 I might have to pass as the pistons will be $350+.

Looking for input in general as well. I just am learning towards doing this at its age and mileage. Have a complete reseal kit . Any other suggestions ?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine Rebuild Components Q's

Rod bearings were the only part which had any measurable wear in my engine after 140kmiles.

You must replace these.

I mixed and matched ACL bearings from H and HX sets to get to the outer limit of the clearance tolerance for each rod.

http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-204...ej20ej257.aspx

I would take it all apart and make decisions based on actual measurements.

I also ordered stock thickness Cometic MLS head gaskets and a set of custom made ARP bolts from Flatirons. PM me if you want details.

/T
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Rod bearings were the only part which had any measurable wear in my engine after 140kmiles.

You must replace these.

I mixed and matched ACL bearings from H and HX sets to get to the outer limit of the clearance tolerance for each rod.

http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-204...ej20ej257.aspx

I would take it all apart and make decisions based on actual measurements.

I also ordered stock thickness Cometic MLS head gaskets and a set of custom made ARP bolts from Flatirons. PM me if you want details.

/T
Thanks, I will get measurements so long as I have more option than OEM for rings/bearings. Considering I have already spent more than the SVX's worth this month, I am trying to not spend 1k just on parts for this. I plan on getting OEM pistons as I cannot find any viable options (IIRC they are unique for SVX compression).

Are custom APR bolts needed?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Thanks, I will get measurements so long as I have more option than OEM for rings/bearings. Considering I have already spent more than the SVX's worth this month, I am trying to not spend 1k just on parts for this. I plan on getting OEM pistons as I cannot find any viable options (IIRC they are unique for SVX compression).

Are custom APR bolts needed?
Not neccessarily, but replacing the OEM bolts with new one is recommended.

/T
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM

I went cometic headgaskets as well, very much worth the money, the OEM are single layer coated and you can just expect them to fail again. I however went with new OEM headbolts. If they are torqued correctly they will hold just as much as ARP studs and require no maintenance or retorqueing like the ARP studs do after a few heat cycles.

If you are getting this deep and are buying pistons anyway, it may be worth sourcing forged pistons. They are the weakest part of the motor. I know in the past CP has made pistons for the SVX, lower compression however. I have a set in my motor. The best thing to do is to talk to some of the major companies and inquire about stock forged pistons for the SVX. New pistons from those companies normally include a new pin and new rings as well, being a whole package should make it more cost effective than sourcing every part from subaru individually.

Forged rods exist everywhere also however the OEM subaru rods are plenty strong enough for you. I would suggest ARP rod bolts however, as the bolts are what are known to fail, not the rods.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
I went cometic headgaskets as well, very much worth the money, the OEM are single layer coated and you can just expect them to fail again. I however went with new OEM headbolts. If they are torqued correctly they will hold just as much as ARP studs and require no maintenance or retorqueing like the ARP studs do after a few heat cycles.

If you are getting this deep and are buying pistons anyway, it may be worth sourcing forged pistons. They are the weakest part of the motor. I know in the past CP has made pistons for the SVX, lower compression however. I have a set in my motor. The best thing to do is to talk to some of the major companies and inquire about stock forged pistons for the SVX. New pistons from those companies normally include a new pin and new rings as well, being a whole package should make it more cost effective than sourcing every part from subaru individually.

Forged rods exist everywhere also however the OEM subaru rods are plenty strong enough for you. I would suggest ARP rod bolts however, as the bolts are what are known to fail, not the rods.
I have no plans of boosting or performance mods. Are forged pistons really needed? I feel for stock that is slight overkill. Care to explain why for a stock motor that would be needed? Just asking and looking for opinions.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Total stock rebuild = go with a reputable piston vendor with the lowest cost. I say this because I'm not sure that stock compression pistons from Subaru are the least expensive option.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX

Take the engine apart first. In mine even the ring gaps were still within spec after 140kmiles. Only one cylinder bore was oval - but not from wear. Honing cross hatch was still there.

I ended up replacing only the big end shells. Clearly worn, especially #5.

/T
Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX

Was gonna ask, why are you getting new pistons? Even at 208k I bet the bores are still round and in good shape.
I will agree that having the heads machined flat before re-installing is a good idea, RedHead Engines in Silverton will machine them to a near mirror finish. For a cheap power upgrade go ahead and get the Cometic head gaskets, not only better made but you could get slightly thinner ones for a little more compression.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
Was gonna ask, why are you getting new pistons? Even at 208k I bet the bores are still round and in good shape.
I will agree that having the heads machined flat before re-installing is a good idea, RedHead Engines in Silverton will machine them to a near mirror finish. For a cheap power upgrade go ahead and get the Cometic head gaskets, not only better made but you could get slightly thinner ones for a little more compression.
I was more just pricing things. I haven't ordered anything yet. I got done tearing it down last night. All cylinders still had cross hatching on them but some had a little wear. I was actually surprised at 208k it still had them.

Cylinder #1
Cylinder #2
Cylinder #3
Cylinder #4
Cylinder #6

I will be taking it to Hatch Engine out in Aumsville as I know the owner and his work.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Registered SVX

I didn't know we had a machine shop in Aumsville, save me the trip out to Silverton now.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

So this may not be good. Once I break it apart will be able to see it crank and case is alright.