Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

Re: Any suggestions for shipping a windshield?

What about going down to your local windscreen shop & asking them about shipping it to their other office nearer the buyer ?
I mean they must have packing sitting around or have a service through courier company ?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
I have shipped many large parts thru Greyhound Bus. I have not shipped a windshield glass but I have shipped two pickup doors, engine hood and a couple of other large body parts for an 72 full sized Blazer that I am restoring. The cost to ship parts from CA to NY was very reasonable and shipping was very easy except for pickup. The problem comes that the seller has to take the item to a Greyhound terminal and the buyer needs to pickup at a Greyhound terminal. No home pickup or delivery. Not a big problem if both the seller/buyer have access to a nearby terminal. Buyer pays the shipping cost when you pickup the item but seller/buyer can get an estimate from Greyhound ( I forgot the process but you can get info from a terminal or online). I've never had a problem since the item travels in the luggage area of the bus but if the item has to make many transfers from the seller to the buyer, things can happen if the glass isn't packed properly. Just my two cents but a source to consider.
No way in hell I'd ship any piece of glass with greyhound... The problem isn't the price of shipping, it's getting it there in once piece.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I bought 3 windshields for my TVR last year after finding out that no one in the us stocks them anymore since no one stocks anything anymore thanks to the morons voted in by the people for the people serve no one but their corp. masters. The windshields arrived from pilkington in a crate that barely fit in a full size pick up. A good 4 feet tall, 7 feet long and 4 feet wide. The glass was "upright" in the center with 10 pieces of cardboard between the pieces. They were cradled with enough loosness to handle vibrations etc in an inner crated that was attached via strap ties to the outer cable. It was a freaking amazing work of art that was more attractive and innovative then your average Mitsubishi.

As for your issue on shipping what I would recommend is take the glass to a ups store or better yet an independent postal connections or the like and have them pack it. Insure it for the replacement value of a new windshield. I shipped a rear windshield for an SVX years ago to Colorado via this method and it arrived just fine. Think the cost was around $200 but again that was 10 years ago at least.

The cost to have my windshields shipped via freight was $175 and it didn't matter how many I had, hence the 3 that came, one for a friend the other for a spare so in reality the cost years ago wasn't bad IMHO.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
No way in hell I'd ship any piece of glass with greyhound... The problem isn't the price of shipping, it's getting it there in once piece.
It isn't just glass that they seem to have trouble getting there in one piece. I had a rear seat for the XJR shipped from cali via greyhound. Even with their "tracking" they lost it for about a week. Then on the same day I got a call telling me they located it in St. Louis and would arrive in 5-7 days, I got a call from the local depot telling me that I needed to come pick up my package that had been there for days as if I should have known that. Still, for large items they are cheap. Shipped our antique dining room table via greyhound.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Any chance you can post those pictures?
Sorry for the delay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04710.JPG (129.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04712.JPG (134.9 KB, 187 views)

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM

I have no problem trusting Greyhound. I haven't had a problem nor has several sellers who use their service. having said that, i haven't shipped anything fragile but any shipper can damage fragile items. It all depends on how well the shipper packs the item; crumpled newspaper doesn't work well but it is the cheap way most sellers pack their items. Greyhound appears to hand pack items being ship by bus since they go in the cargo hold beneath the bus where luggage goes. The items are hand transferred from bus to bus not handled by big machines into cargo planes. In my opinion, the man service provides gentler handling than thru mass transport but everything depends on weight/size and most importantly proper packing. It's a fact that air transport can be less jarring than land transport over poor roads but the personal service I think compensates for the advantages of the large carriers. Just my opinion and I will continue to use Greyhound for large objects. Their price is much more reasonable. But everyone is free to chose their own method, I'm just offering a viable suggestion that most people don't know about.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to work anything out. I've asked my local glass shops and none of them seem to have much to offer (even after I offered to pay them for shipping!) and the Greyhound option has me a little on edge. I suppose it's time to try and find a glass shop that can get me a new one...