How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
The Molinator

Polish Poly Suspension BUSHINGS - Red/Yellow

I've read al the previous thread on these when first interest was developing.. HOWEVER, I see almost no comments on how either the Red or Yellow polys were appreciated by the users here.

I'm considering buying the entire 276051A package (20 bushings + new front sway bushing brackets) for the Network price of $300 incl S/H.

All I've heard .. is that wishbone Reds may be too soft.. and that Yellows in general may be too stiff.. ??

Please lemme know.. so I can accept the discounted offer .. or just get wishbone bushings (yellow I guess).. . Someone here has suggested that my failing wishbone OEM bushings could be the source of my (metallic) creaking noise .. when accelerating sharply (rt or left) from stopped!

I already have old red poly sway bushings (new Yellows??).. .

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Are lateral link, trailing arm bushings really necessary.. ?? Do they go bad? How do we know??

P.P.S. Also, a friend says polys squeak.. will that be a problem for all these polys installed?? (I have some squeak with sway bushings.. Gotta spray occasionally.)
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 06-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Polish Poly Suspension BUSHINGS - Red/Yellow

Hi Jim,

I replaced all* of my bushings with the yellow poly bushings. In my driving, I have found that while the yellows are quite stiff, I feel they give a great feel of the road, and I still get a very comfortable ride from the car.

My Poly Bushings do squeak quite a bit, but I believe that the shop who pressed them in for me either didn't grease them, or didn't grease them enough, however, depending on how you drive, they might not be to noticeable. When my stereo is on, I don't hear them at all, and when the windows are open, I only hear them when I am not going "fast" ("fast" being >35mph). They also seem to be getting quieter as they wear in, or I'm so used to the noise that I don't notice it anymore

All that is of course, dependent on how you drive, and how you want your car to perform. Roads and Suspension travel may make substantial difference

I had bad bushings in the rear (my car had a rough life before I got it) and a bent parallel link, so I replaced the bushings since I had the car apart, I likely didn't *need* to, but hey, I had the kit.

~TEck

*I didn't replace the bushings in the rear hubs, as I didn't have anything to take the hubs out with. I know that OT recently did a set of these bushings as well, and he had a trick to doing the hubs while they were on the car, but I can't remember what it was of the top of my head!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM
The Molinator

Cool Re: Polish Poly Suspension BUSHINGS - Red/Yellow

Thanks for your input!

I think the technique you're referring to .. for rear bearings (on the car) .. is the HubTamer. I have one.. about $250 when I got it on eBay.. ? Allows you to press old bearing out/new bearing in.. while hub remains on car! Still not easy, but I guess easier? or "better" for some reason? I have never taken hub off?

Well.. Do you WD40.. PB Blaster.. or Silicone spray your polys? Maybe wud be "easy" help?

We can't get OEM wishbone bushings separate from wishbone..can we? It doesn't show part # on SubaruParts.com! So, we cud press in a new set of OEM bushings.. ? I'm sure not gonna buy the whole wishbone w/ bushings!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

What's this about squeaking? I want a full replacement but a squeaking car?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Poly bushings make noise if they are not lubricated. White Lithium or Silglyde is great for them and readily available.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM

The Grease comes with the bushes - better to put too much on & wide off afterwards, if you run out then head over to your local supplier for some more.

I bought the full yellow setup with no issues, last year - firms up the ride, also just bought the 15 minute mod in yellow, should be here this week (they arrived tonight & look great!!).

Still to fit the Koni inserts that have been sitting around for past 8 years!! (the ride still felt firm before fitting the yellow poly's)

Last edited by SURTEESS; 06-06-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
The Molinator

I'm getting hesitant to order now.. not because of ride quality comments.. but because of this squeaking issue.

So far I have three responses to users on ride quality.. all are positive comments. However, all also complain about squeaking! So, will I have to lubricate these every MONTH? or 3 MONTHS?? or 6 MONTHS??? Seems the only good way to service them with grease would be to take them off? How else could you get grease in the right areas??

I have sway bar red polys already. Yes, they squeak.. but are easier to re-grease.. cuz they get contorted somewhat on the sway bars.. yielding an open grease entrance. If they are no worse at squeaking.. and no worse to grease .. then I would get them

My main need is for (apparently) wishbone bushings. Seems like they would have much more pressure.. and therefore possibly much more squeaking??

Maybe I shud keep the red poly sway bar bushings .. and order either all the rest (lateral, trailing, wishbone) for about $280. Or just get wishbones for about $150? [The entire kit, including sway bar bushings, is $300 to us here.] How much do I need the laterals/trailing at 234K miles??

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Can we even get OEM control arm bushings? SubaruParts.com just shows a control arm for $202!

Last edited by James Scott; 06-05-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
I'm getting hesitant to order now.. not because of ride quality comments.. but because of this squeaking issue.

So far I have three responses to users on ride quality.. all are positive comments. However, all also complain about squeaking! So, will I have to lubricate these every MONTH? or 3 MONTHS?? or 6 MONTHS??? Seems the only good way to service them with grease would be to take them off? How else could you get grease in the right areas??

I have sway bar red polys already. Yes, they squeak.. but are easier to re-grease.. cuz they get contorted somewhat on the sway bars.. yielding an open grease entrance. If they are no worse at squeaking.. and no worse to grease .. then I would get them

My main need is for (apparently) wishbone bushings. Seems like they would have much more pressure.. and therefore possibly much more squeaking??

Maybe I shud keep the red poly sway bar bushings .. and order either all the rest (lateral, trailing, wishbone) for about $280. Or just get wishbones for about $150? [The entire kit, including sway bar bushings, is $300 to us here.] How much do I need the laterals/trailing at 234K miles??

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Can we even get OEM control arm bushings? SubaruParts.com just shows a control arm for $202!
No, you cant't buy an OEM control arm bushing separately.

I greased the crap out of the ones I did almost a year and a half or so ago and they still don't squeak. Only ever got around to the control arms though. Most of the rest were replaced in other ways, so there was no need.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Is a full OEM rubber bushings set still available? Is there a part(s) number?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

All the OEM bushings AFAIK, are not available separately from the components they are pressed into. Well swaybar bushings are available, but they're a different story. Control arms, trailing arms, lateral links you can't get the bushings separately from the component itself.

(And having spent many hours trying to get the control arm bushings out when I was putting my polish bushings in, I can see why they're not interested in doing that. And that was on a car with 75k miles. I can't imagine (a lazy, underpaid tech) trying to do that on a rusted 300k mile car.)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

And that begs the question: Did anyone compile a list of all components with bushings?

You see, the parts are usually cheaper than the labour here. I could have a financial incentive buying nee components rather than changing bushings. I have no access to a garage and no tools, there's no way I can even attempt doing that kind of operation myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
All the OEM bushings AFAIK, are not available separately from the components they are pressed into. Well swaybar bushings are available, but they're a different story. Control arms, trailing arms, lateral links you can't get the bushings separately from the component itself.

(And having spent many hours trying to get the control arm bushings out when I was putting my polish bushings in, I can see why they're not interested in doing that. And that was on a car with 75k miles. I can't imagine (a lazy, underpaid tech) trying to do that on a rusted 300k mile car.)
I'm ready to f...