Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM

hazard lights work but, blinkers don't!

plus, it won't shift out of park.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: hazard lights work but, blinkers don't!

Check all the fuses. Underhood and the ones inside the car. Do you know where they are?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM

yes, one is behind the battery and the other is in the side kick panel on the drivers side.
I just replaced the Rear sidemarker bulb# 168 both were blown out.

Last edited by kjoyes; 05-28-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM

I checked the fuses none were blown.
i put in a new aftermarket stereo would that cause this to happen.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Did you have the drivers side knee panel off? Check the connector for the parking light switch. When that is disconnected, weird things happen.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 PM

i tried my parking light switch, and my parking lights came on, so i dont think it's unhooked.

whenever i press in the shift lever, there clicking sound down by the driver side dash. i think it is a relay.
would the factory security system, when i installed my radio the security was activated and did the locked the shift lever.
found this on a search.

There are several possible answers to this problem. First, check to see if you have brake lights. If not, check the fuse that supplies power to the brake lights. (my 2001 outback is #16 20amp located behind the coin drawer in the dash). If it is blown, replace the fuse and push on the brake pedal. If it blows again, you have a short in the system. Most commom fix is to replace all the brake lights. Sometimes they short out the system, blow the fuse and that will keep the car from shifting out of park. If the brake lights do not keep the fuse from blowing, it could be the brake solenoid located at the top of the brake pedal, or it could be the shift lock solenoid located to the right of the shifter under the cover. The easiest way to check these items is to unplug the wiring harness one at a time and then replace the fuse and see if it blows when you press on the brake. My fix was the shift lock solenoid. It isn't super hard to replace and can be found online or at a local wrecking yard.
I have a '94 Subaru Impeza and I took all the plastic parts out from around the shifter and on the right side is the locking pin that rises and falls when you pushed the button. This tends to get dirty and sticks. Clean as much as possible and spary WD-40 or silicone. It will take care of the problem.

I also found that if you have a weak battery or bad battery connection this can also cause the same issue.

Last edited by kjoyes; 05-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

If all else fails check the turn signal relay mounted under the steering column. It's in a soft rubber cover. Replacement can be bought fairly low priced at any parts store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...fier=6416_0_0_
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Did you resolve this problem?
I have a similar problem.

My hazards work, but turn signals, reverse lamps, and shifter lockout don't work.

The fuse was blown and blew immediately again when I replaced it.

Otherwise everything else is ok. Is it the turn signal relay, or something worse?

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
Did you resolve this problem?
I have a similar problem.

My hazards work, but turn signals, reverse lamps, and shifter lockout don't work.

The fuse was blown and blew immediately again when I replaced it.

Otherwise everything else is ok. Is it the turn signal relay, or something worse?
If it's blowing the fuse immediately, you have a direct short. Check for any pinched or cut wires.. Or put in a very strong fuse and keep an eye out for smoke (I don't actually recommend the last one)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd swap out that turn signal relay first - they are pretty cheap.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

That's what I figure, but it blows out when nothing is activated (brake, signal, or in reverse)

The instant the fuse touches the contacts in the fusebox, it goes poof! so it is something pretty seriously shorted out.

Guess it's time to dig up the FSM if nobody else has had this issue.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

That's what mine did when the turn signal relay went out. I put in a bigger fuse......smoke under the steering column. It's actually how I figured out the relay was bad. I think I remember it buzzing also.

edit: it didn't blow until the key was turned on IIRC
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator

I found my problem after a couple hours troubleshooting.

First I replaced the turn signal relay as suggested, and it did work briefly until I took it for a spirited drive. I noticed that when it was shifting from 1-2, it seemed that the engine stalled a little, but really that was the connector shorting out at that time. I later noticed that the signals weren't working again

So..I went home and I went to the FSM and followed where the current from the fuse went, and disconnected everything along its path under the dash/steering column but still no good. The only thing left was the reverse switch from the transmission. I reached under there are moved things around, and woot, all was good again.

It was the twin connector that goes to the transmission, at the rear of the engine bay. Since long ago and a few transmissions, the clips that hold those connectors in place broke off, so the connectors were just floating around there. It seems that one of them moved just into the right place to short out the reverse light circuit.

Now I'll put everything together and zip tie the trans connectors down and should be all good.

So lesson learned, zip tie down the transmission wiring connectors if your clips are broken.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM

my problem turned out to be the turn signal fuse had blown.