Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Gates performance timing belt

Time to replace the timing belt/water pump. I had replaced the timing belt/ accessory belt, on my 2.5L Forester w/Gates blue performance belts that are rated at 300% stronger than stock. When I tried to purchase the Gates performance belts for the SVX, the salesman couldn't find a listing for the blue performance timing belt but could find a listing for the accessory belts. Does anyone have a source/listing for a performance timing belt? Doesn't make sense that Gates makes upgraded performance belts for the power steering/alt/ac but not the timing belt. I'm waiting for a response from Gates but trying to do my own research.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Gates performance timing belt

they probably have performance versions of the regular belts because the same belt likely fits many applications. i doubt they have a performance timing belt because it would only fit the svx.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM

I wouldn't expect them to make a performance belt only for the SVX but they make performance timing belts for many Japanese cars. As the SVX uses parts made for Nissan and other Japanese cars, there may be a belt for another car that is the same length as the one used by the SVX. It really doesn't make much sense to sell accessory belts that are 300% stronger than stock(?) and use a regular strength timing belt. I agree that the performance accessory belts may be used by other cars, but selling performance belts that can be used with a weaker timing belt is asking for trouble if the car is driven in a performance manner. I'll hope to talk to Gates on Monday.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX

the application guide for the accessory belts list many vehicles. the ac belt will fit at least 40 different cars from a 91 bmw to 2005 neon. timing belt only fits the svx.