Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-26-2002, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Post for what reasons did u buy your svx.. general discusion

i want to see why u all bought your svx.. is it for looks,, performance,, value,, reliability ?
just curous on opinions here
Old 08-26-2002, 08:05 AM
Green1995SVX

I bought mine because I sat in it and i wanted to test drive it. Then i drove it and wanted to buy it. Im a sucker for awd japanese GT's with half windows.

-Mike
Old 08-26-2002, 08:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
1. I always loved teh SVX's styling.

2. I was surprised that I could afford it.

3. I have a great deal of confidence in the reliability of Japanese cars.

But the biggest reason I bought it was, as I'm sure everyone here will echo, that I drove it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 08:32 AM
billisa

My reasons...

I never buy new cars, partly because I feel they are too expensive and because I don't want to allocate the required portion of my budget to something that only depreciates. Having bought a series of high mileage used cars I have been spoiled by the low cost, high value one can find, if you work at it.

So... in 1992, when getting my XT steam cleaned at a Subaru dealer I saw an SVX and immediately fell in love with it, thinking someday I'd get one used. That was 10 years ago. And a few months ago I got one. Black/Silver '92 LS-L with everything working and in top shape @ 145,000 and rolling.

I think Japanese cars are better, therefore buying one with lots of miles can work out, but I also like the innovation obvious in the SVX. Personally, I think Toyota has better build quality/durability, by maybe 10%, and I'd also considered an MR2, but with the 4 seats, AWD, etc, I went with the SVX when a good one became available.

So, my last 3 cars in total have cost me $10,000, not counting what I got back when the first 2 were sold. At this point I just can't see paying $20k and up for something I can get for far less. A friend who always buys new has a VW Cabriolet that has had major fuel system problems from day one. Imagine paying $25,000 for that privilege!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:54 AM

Registered SVX
Re: My reasons...

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
So, my last 3 cars in total have cost me $10,000, not counting what I got back when the first 2 were sold. At this point I just can't see paying $20k and up for something I can get for far less. A friend who always buys new has a VW Cabriolet that has had major fuel system problems from day one. Imagine paying $25,000 for that privilege!
Bill, I agree with your post 100%. I have found Japanese cars to be more reliable. I don't like the idea of throwing money away just for the new car smell. And I definitely agree that fantastic deals can be had on used cars that fill the same shoes as the shiny new ones.

But, as I already posted, I drove a brand-new Mini this weekend. The tight feeling of that brand-new car was almost enough to turn me. I'd better get my SVX repaired, and fast.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 09:42 AM

Registered SVX
well i bought my svx for 3 reasons

1st i wanted a car with AWD

2nd i wanted a car with some power

3rd i wanted a car with looks of no other car

the subaru svx foot the bill

i have always loved svxes but just could never aford them. i nevre knew anything abought them until recently my 2nd choice of cars was ths gsx. but i been through my eclipse days

my 92 svx get more atention and loks then any other car i have driven people have asked me if it was a 2002 model even

for a car thats 10 years old i think looks as good as 2003 model its a design that wil never ever grow old =>

shure there some flaws but every thing else well make sup for it, i just wish the svx sold more and came out with newer models,
Old 08-26-2002, 09:51 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
for a car thats 10 years old i think looks as good as 2003 model its a design that wil never ever grow old =>

shure there some flaws but every thing else well make sup for it, i just wish the svx sold more and came out with newer models,
If the SVX sold better, it wouldn't be as unique as it is.

Besides, you contradict yourself a little. If the design never gets old, why do you want a newer model? In most people's minds (this excludes many of us here - myself, especially), a new SVX would 'date' the old SVX.

Bleh...the SVX is a find most car-loving people will, sadly, never make. I felt the same way about Ren and Stimpy - then it got 'discovered,' popular and went to crap.

Okay, maybe not the best analogy. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 09:57 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Solarsvx,
From the first time I saw the SVX, I was drawn to it like a moth to a light. It would sell today as far as the design is concerned! And I tend to like the unusual anyway, and one has to admit that the SVX is a little out of the ordinary.

I couldn't afford one when they first came out in '92, so I just dreamed a bit. In '95, I was actually looking for a car for my wife (with her) at the Olds / Subaru dealer when, while passing by a Blue SVX, I commented to the salesperson that I had always liked the SVX. She indicated that they would make a heck of a deal on the Blue '94, L Model FWD, if I was interested. I was also kinda in the market for a new car too, so when we got back inside, we "discussed" the deal - $6,000 of the sticker (that made the cost $19,900), and they would add a spoiler (then a $350 option), AND give me a 100,000 mile warranty. I said, "Let me think about that - OKAY!" Never regretted it. BTW, one of the two transmissions was covered by warranty! Unfortunately, the Blue '94 is wrecked and I'm now parting it out. My second SVX was found in PA two years ago - a 1997 LSI with 9K miles. The third (for my son), just recently, a 1996 L Model with 78K miles.

And I agree, once you drive one with all of the nice and uniqe features and the GT feel on the road, you have to have one. And all of the curious glances and comments is just the iceing on the cake.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-26-2002, 10:19 AM

Registered SVX
newsvx they would sell u 100k bumper to bumper waranty back in 95? what kind of waranty did these cars have on them new, just 3 year 36k standard waranty??

mr pockets yea it sounded like i contradicted myself but i would have to say it would be intresting. im shure if they put there head together they would come out with a svx that would turn some head but then again our svx would look outdated and old => verry good pointe mr pockets

i love the uniqness of the svx and the styling i havent found a car to mach it yet .
Old 08-26-2002, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
My first Subaru was a leased '96 Outback. When the lease up. I needed another car. We always had a seadn and a sporty coupe for uor 2 cars. I had the wagon, and I wanted a sporty coupe along the lines of my '84 Supra. I also had the requirement that we would be the first family on our block to have all FWD or WWD cars. I test drove a used 95 SVX that the dealer had. I took the brochure on the '97's and did some research. After we haggled on price, I asked him to get me a '97 LSi in burgundy (bordeaux pearl). He found one and I bought it. Then I had his painter put the pinstripes on it. It's been fun ever since.

Wednesday night, the car goes in to service for rear wheel bearings. It has 47, 300+ miles on it. It has the extended warrantee so it will cost me $100 for the bearings. I will get a loaner car (hopefully it won't be another Pontiac GP, this time) and pick up Subydoo on Thurs. I think that 1 1/2 years of blasting thru my favorite S-bend every morning going to work caused the bearings to fali at this low milage. My highest speed exiting the S-bend was 113 mph. I have found that evrything in life has a price. It is going to cost me $100 for a year and a half of fun, every morning, 5 days a week. I think it's a bargain.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Bought my SVX mainly because I've always liked Subaru's/AWD and of the 3 or 4 that were for sale in Winnipeg (all at similar prices) this was the only one with a freshly replaced tranny and rotors.

I couldn't let this one slip by. (purchased March 2001)
Old 08-26-2002, 10:55 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I crashed my car. I needed a new ride. I saw the Barcelona Red 94 and took it out for a spin. I love the interior. I somehow reduced the price from 6800 to 4800. I took the car home.

Red SVX died. I wanted an AWD SVX. Just happened to be at the reading meet without an SVX. Called my brother. Asked him to look up one. Found one. With the help of Doug (Mohrds). I picked up my 2nd SVX.

I always wanted a silver / burgundy SVX. I saw one for sale. I went out to NY/NJ to pick it up.

Why SVX?
I love the style, uniqueness, the fact that I own one of 1666 in 1994. just the fact that it looks good.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Kamaleon

vini, vidi, vinci.

me?... i just loved it the moment i saw it.... the tiem it took from when i saw her and the time it took to be mine was about 2 mins.

My first time i went to a car auction, i went there with the only intention on seeing/experiencing new things as i never seen anything like that b4...

We saw nice cars, bad cars, trucks, sports cars how there were sold, how people bid, etc... after 45 mins of seen all that i was ready to leave until i saw her comming (in slow motion) into the hanger to be actioned and my only thougs were on what a beauty of car and though if i could afford it... I couldnt believe people wouldnt go over $2900 for her (most were bussy bidding at civics, eclipse, etc.. I bid $3k for her and i got her...

I felt like an 8 year old on xmast. no other subaru got my attention like the svx did. After that night i found this great forum and learned about my new ride..

p.s. right now im svx-less but its still in my mind
Old 08-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Hater

i've always liked cars that weren't a dime-a-dozen. i would never buy a Corvette, Eclipse, etc. you see them everywhere. i had my dream car - a Porsche 928, and a winter beater. i just got tired of having to take care of 2 cars. the 928 sat in the garage all winter, while i had to clean the snow off of the daily driver to go to work. RRRR!!! i wanted something with good looks, AWD or FWD so it could go in the winter, and good reliability. i always liked SVX's, and since i couldn't afford a new AWD twin-turbo 911 , i went looking for a black '96 or '97 SVX. just like the 928, the styling is kinda timeless. i wish it had a little more power, but i'm getting used to it. its great for long drives, and the AC can freeze my knuckles off. i hope it stays healthy for quite a while!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-26-2002, 12:54 PM

Registered SVX
well put land shark its a time piece. or phrase

it gets better with age => just like fine wine