Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Ca$h

K, going to probably buy 92 LSL, need final hints

Hey everybody.

I found a 1992 Black LSL for sale. Good price. 130,000 miles, but the whole transmission was replaced (at a subaru dealership) only 20,000 miles ago, and the rear bearings were replaced 4,000 miles ago (also a subie dealership). The guy says that it doesnt really need anything, it doesnt burn oil, it doesnt leak, its had the timing belts changed (have receipts for that too), basically the drivetrain is in tip top condition. HE did mention that the power steering needs to be checked about once a month. What kind of trouble could that be? Any other tips? I'll have to drive it 4 hours back, so I'll have it in D (drive) but around town I'm supposed to keep it in 3rd right? Where's hte tranny fluid dipstick located? The color should be pretty transparent reddish correct? Does hte SVX have two levels on the ATX dipstick for hot/cold? Any other expensive problems I could notice? I'm 90% sure I'll be getting this car, because I'm 90% sure its in great shape. However, a tip from one of you could save me quite a bit of time and money.

- Ca$h
Old 08-23-2002, 09:00 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: K, going to probably buy 92 LSL, need final hints

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Hey everybody.

I found a 1992 Black LSL for sale. Good price. 130,000 miles, but the whole transmission was replaced (at a subaru dealership) only 20,000 miles ago, and the rear bearings were replaced 4,000 miles ago (also a subie dealership). The guy says that it doesnt really need anything, it doesnt burn oil, it doesnt leak, its had the timing belts changed (have receipts for that too), basically the drivetrain is in tip top condition. HE did mention that the power steering needs to be checked about once a month. What kind of trouble could that be? Any other tips? I'll have to drive it 4 hours back, so I'll have it in D (drive) but around town I'm supposed to keep it in 3rd right? Where's hte tranny fluid dipstick located? The color should be pretty transparent reddish correct? Does hte SVX have two levels on the ATX dipstick for hot/cold? Any other expensive problems I could notice? I'm 90% sure I'll be getting this car, because I'm 90% sure its in great shape. However, a tip from one of you could save me quite a bit of time and money.

- Ca$h
First of all, make sure you get the paperwork for the tranny. If it was replaced by a suby dealer, you still have miles left on the warranty (2years 24,000 miles). Same on the bearings, they should be warranted for at least a year.

The power steering problem is probably just the o-ring needing to be replaced. See the "how to" in the "how to" personal locker.

Some people do the "3" in town, "D" on the road thing. I, personally don't. I figure the transmission was designed to know what to do. That's why they call it "automatic" but that's just me. Research the advantages and disadvantages and choose for yourself.

The AT stick is located just under the firewall on the driver's side. It's bright yellow and hard to miss (unless it's dirty of course). It has both H/C markings.

Frankly, most "problems" on an SVX can be "expensive." Check for "binding" in turns to make sure the diffs are working in sync with the tranny. Check for steering rack leaks and "wet" diffs. Check for torn boots (all 8), the rest is pretty much the "standard" when checking out a car (oil pan leaks, oil seal leaks, ticking lifters . . . etc.)

Good luck on your purchase. I hope you receive many trouble-free miles.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-23-2002, 09:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Ooh, exciting!

I don't understand the shifting to 3rd in town instead of 4th. As I understand it, the only real reason for it was to keep the tranny from doing one more shift. This is in an attempt to keep it cooler and, in my opinion, it's horse puckey.

I think people really do it so passengers will ask them why they do it. See, then they get to talk about the car.

Did the owner mention when the plugs were replaced? If not, no big deal. I actually replaced mine for the first time at 129k. They were dirty, sure, but since they're double platinum, they were all still gapped correctly.

Besides being a healty pink color, the fluid should also not smell burned. Take along some fresh ATF in a bottle if you need to compare stinks. I would expect that after only 20k miles, that fluid is still going to look and smell good.

I agree with Randy on everything, but I'd like to add something about AWD. Make sure it works, if you can. If you have the opportunity, make sure the front wheels don't slip at all on gravel - both in first and reverse. I can't get my car's tires to spin at all on gravel no matter how much gas I give it - it just goes. But my wife's Legacy is beat to hell and back, and the front wheels spin a little before the rears engage.

Good luck, man! Let us know how it turns out!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Ca$h

Yeah, the plugs were changed. It had a full 60,000 mile tuneup done at 100,000 miles. Heh. >shrug< Anyway, all new belts, new plugs, new timing belt, new seals (forget what), new suspension pieces, new suspension bushings, all sorts of stuff new. Its really well taken care of (from what I know).

He did say that the front end rattles when going over bumps, but thats minor to me.

- Ca$h
Old 08-23-2002, 10:27 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Apart from the O ring, check the line that connects the PowerSteering fluid to the pump. Mine is busted. That's a 80 bucks fix from the dealer.

Check your brakes for even wear. Check your visors, the little lights (although they are easy to replace).

Check your rear windshield wiper/washer.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Yeah, the plugs were changed. It had a full 60,000 mile tuneup done at 100,000 miles. Heh. >shrug< Anyway, all new belts, new plugs, new timing belt, new seals (forget what), new suspension pieces, new suspension bushings, all sorts of stuff new. Its really well taken care of (from what I know).

He did say that the front end rattles when going over bumps, but thats minor to me.

- Ca$h
That rattle may be nothing. I feel a little 'bump' in mine occasionally when going over small bumps at low speeds. I have been told by more than one mechanic familiar with the SVX that many, if not all, of them did that out of the factory.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 PM

congrats Ca$h!

the only problem i had with my 92 when i bought it were the rotors and the speedo. mine had 98k when i bought it. since dealers are not allowed to sell used cars that won't pass inspection, they had to fix my problems for free. the replaced all four rotors and brakes and the speedo problem was within the tranny. check your rotors and brakes. i know you know to check fluids, belts and such. check your "lines" too. i didn't notice it before i bought the car, the lines where perfect but after having the car for a while, i noticed that the hood had been replaced and so was the passager headlight. there was nothing on Carfax, so watch out for that. i haven't had a problem yet with my tranny. she has served me well thus far. i hope you have the same luck.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 PM
The Road Less Traveled

On a 92, apart from the above, I would bring the instructions to check the ECU and TCU, just to see if there's any codes stored, and if there is then see if the owner has addressed those issues.

Check the front diff fluid and its condition as well.

VK
Old 08-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Ca$h

How do I check the 'lines'? What lines are you referring to? Also, how do I check the front differential? 4wd is weird.

- Ca$h
Old 08-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If I were you I would have them change the tranny fluid anyway. The most wear I've seen is right after a rebuild...lots of metal filings. Have them change both the internal and external tranny filters as well.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:51 PM
The Road Less Traveled

The lines, or "That Thingy" , would be the gaps and edges around the car, to look for evidence of repaint and/or replaced panels.

Speaking of lines, check the hoses and such as well, for power steering and for transmission.

The Diff stick is on the opposite side of the engine from the tranny dipstick. Look for absense of grit in the fluid, and look for a clear fluid.

Oh, look for the condition of the plastic at the top of the radiator as well.

VK
Old 08-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Ca$h

Oh. I ran the VIN through carfax. Its clear. It said it was in a minor accident about a year ago, I asked the owner and he told me it 'was keyed'. He recieved money from the insurance company but didn't get it fixed, just buffed most of it out. Consdiering my dad works at a bodyshop, I'm not worried.

- Ca$h
Old 08-23-2002, 01:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vkykam
[B]The lines, or "That Thingy" , would be the gaps and edges around the car, to look for evidence of repaint and/or replaced panels.

YEAH, dats it!!!!!

Carfax isn't all that accurate....i know from personal experience. the tipper for knowing that the hood was replaced is that there was no diagrams on the bottom of it towards the back. the hood is slighly a more yellowey...i made up a word.... and the passager headlight is a little more clear. they lined up panels and everything well so, i didn't notice it when i bought it. it really isn't a big deal, just something to look at, and possibly get a price down....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Yellowey? YELLOWEY!?!?!? AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-23-2002, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Yellowey? YELLOWEY!?!?!? AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

yellowish yellowie yellowisck yellow yello Randy are you there???

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"