Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: SVX bodykit and front update

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
And a fastback hatch (the single thing that my old 93 Probe GT had over the SVX...), maybe even automatically opening and closing on an electronic actuator system, like some minivans/SUVs have.
Did someone say fastback hatch?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Hatchback.jpg (336.9 KB, 7566 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Did someone say fastback hatch?

Wow.

That is one way... Almost looks like an SVX combined with a Renault Alpine A610, or something...

I was thinking that it would pretty much keep it's existing profile, and just hinge above the rear glass. The Probe had flush glass, like the SVX, and still had a bit of a steel rear deck behind the glass.

SVX could have done that, by keeping the same trunk lid seam it already has, opening the body right at the seam between the rear quarter fixed glass, and the back glass, and putting the hinge cover seam in the roof above the rear glass. The SVX has better body lines... but the flush glass over opening hatchback could have been incorporated, and the SVX wouldn't really have to change it's lines at all.

BTW,

BMW and Skoda and others are now starting to do 2-piece liftbacks... The aft part opens like a trunk, down to the bumper height for low lift-over height... but then also can release the rear glass area to lift from higher hinges, as a hatchback.

The new 5-series GT has that... although the car is more of a behemoth than it is truly required to be, otherwise. As is the insane X6. A two door car would hopefully be able to execute such a design with a hatch seam higher in the roof than that.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I am not sure I was as clear as I should have been.

I didn't want the bulk and height of the Tribeca's nose. I just like the sleek and laid-back headlights, on SVX's low nose. 06-07 Tribeca's headlights are quite sleek, but everything below them is vertically tall.

I like the 04 JDM Legacy GT... and I like the 06-07 "hawk-eye" Impreza headlights on the SVX.

Not a fan of the top-tapered ovoid center grille from that era Tribeca NOR Impreza, though. REALLY don't like the 08+ Impreza look, not on the Impreza, and certainly not on the SVX.

I've always wondered if the SVX could adopt a more "angry" expression, which the 04-07 Legacy and 06-07 Impreza headlights allude to. With the outboard parts of the hood taking an inward cant from the fenders to the center part of the hood. There isn't much elevation change, so it wouldn't be much, but just a little bit.

I still wonder, if the Dodge Stealth and Mistu 3000GT can have sleeked back headlights, especially the late models, with fixed projectors, rather than flip-ups, if SVX could somehow incorporate the Tribeca's similarly sleeked back triangular headlights.

When I was speaking earlier of Tribeca being inspiration for an updated SVX, I didn't intend the SVX to take on dimensions of the Tribeca. I was speaking in a bit more of an abstract "design language and detail" way, not of sharing body dimensions or panels specifically.
Ah, understood Boxer, I thought as much.

From the point of these wonderfully accurate photochops that Farang is doing I suspect it's easier to do them from a car that has the same nose height and profile. So the Legacy and Impreza and Mazda 6 work well.

But it is also the case that if the nose/bumper of any of these models works stylistically, then that might also make it easier to design and build the mockup using OEM components from those cars, lights, spoilers etc. This would be really difficult to do with Tribeca components because of the height and larger proportions of the components.

Plus I agree with you on the aggressive look thing. The SVX nose is seriously dated by the wide narrow parallel band for the lights. Using lamps that will flow back upwards into the wing or that have a slant rather than a parallel profile will give a more aggressive look, at the cost of losing some of the SVX's DNA.

Having said that I'd still like to see a sensitive modernisation. The SVX has the soul and the ability of a modern car and would look good with a restyle.

Joe.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

I would think there would be somehow to stylistically implement the sleek headlights into SVX's body lines...

If I were an OE designer, of course it would be a new design reminiscent of that sort of treatment.

Otherwise... Keeping with the horizontal theme, and ItalDesign... there is the Alfa Romeo 159/Brera. At least a downward tapered triangular center grille looks better than Subaru's upward-tapered ovoid attempt.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-05-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM

If I will have a some free time that I will graft headlights from В9 or GTO. I used only real cars in my pictures earlier. It could be made actually.

I wish to try install a front from concept cars and elements of design from models like Aston Martin DBS, BMW CS concept etc.

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post

This isn't bad but I'm still for keeping the stock headlights and 97 grill

I like the way the scoop works on this one however the rest of the front is a little much. the general shape of the front skirt end isn't bad fitting though.

This rear end looks really good, even though I love the stock one.

I think we're getting somewhere even with all the digressions.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
And don't show that second WRX one to Danny, or he'll be putting that nose on The Monster.

Specially for Danny's Monster

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 AM

Modular headlights are interest many owners of cars in my country. It seems to me a similar things would look not so bad on SVX

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Modular headlights are interest many owners of cars in my country. It seems to me a similar things would look not so bad on SVX
WOW! I like that a LOT! That's actually kinda of what I was planning on working on when I got into the feild and had free reign to design what ever I wanted. I REALLY want to GT300 spec build and SVX. At least exterior wise anyways.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:

This aswell is just very nice. A little Boxxier on the front fenders and I think it would fit very nicely as one of the few examples of replacing the OEM headlights with retrofitting something esle.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Фаранг, Хорошо фотошопиш...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
I REALLY want to GT300 spec build and SVX. At least exterior wise anyways.
Ive been thinking something similar for my one too
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Фаранг, Хорошо фотошопиш...
Привет. Да нет это только первые шаги. Просто всегда было интересно пристороить к SVX "морду" от какой-нибудь другой машины Пришлось фотошоп освоить, поскольку бог не дал талантов к рисованию.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
Ive been thinking something similar for my one too
I thought about it too

Nunquam Non Paratus

Last edited by Farang; 01-07-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

you've just morphed 2 of my favorite cars into one and they look awesome!! how much did you have to adjust in terms of proportional fitting? would it be possible in reality? keep more coming!! thanks!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
you've just morphed 2 of my favorite cars into one and they look awesome!! how much did you have to adjust in terms of proportional fitting? would it be possible in reality? keep more coming!! thanks!!
MMC 3000GT one of my favourite car too. I think that a front from GTO would be possible to install to SVX. But the proportions can be others in a reality.I have applied some deformations in the my pictures earlier. Two images are imposed here without change of proportions.The scale and shooting point are kept also.

Nunquam Non Paratus