How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-31-2001, 12:43 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Just the facts please.

I'm very upset over some of the grilling that has gone on at the AWS thread. I have therefore decided to start a new one, if I'm allowed, to just answer questions. If you don't agree with the answer, then you are more than welcome to ask for a second opinion, but please, on this particular thread don't contradict what I have to say toting a copy of R&T, or a few brochures...I've had plenty of that recently.

Here's a quote from that thread...

<<In a carbureted engine when you press on the "gas" pedal you are not giving the engine more gas you are giving it more *air*. The air in turn draws more gas into the mix.>>

No, turn off the engine on a carburated engine. Remove the air cleaner, then hit the throttle and watch the throttle bore. You will see fuel entering the bore. You are at that point using the accelerator pump. After the engine catches, then yes the venturi effect happens. But until then it *is* a gas pedal. On a fuel injected engine, then yes, all you control is the air.

I will happily answer any questions that are asked of me. But if you don't like the answer, please just move on and try and find an answer that suits your needs.

A side note, I don't expect this thread to have many posts. This is a great bunch of people, but they already have their own preconceived ideas on how and why things work like they do. But if I can in any way be of assistance then by all means I will help.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I had discussed a proposal with sith earlier on. It is this:

Create a separate forum called "Eddycat's Garage." In that forum, Eddycat would be given full autonomy as to which posts would actually make it to the forum. In other words, eddy, you would first okay the post to appear in the forum, then, answer it. That way, that which you may consider drivel, you may delete, and noone ever sees it. If you find a question worth answering, then, you can post the question and answer it. Likewise, you'd have full autonomy to delete any replies to the posts. It would be "your" own Subaru Senior Master Tech corner of the Network. The only reason this hasn't been created is because we were afraid that you might be inundated with questions and may not want to fool with them all. So, now, I'm asking. Would this be something that interests you? If so, then, sith (as you well know) can make it happen.

The rest of us can then stumble around blind with our preconceived notions.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-31-2001, 01:59 PM
tat2skullz

Eddy... spekaing of just the facts... when is that date that 980HP SVX guy is supposed to have pics? I wanna mark it in my calendar so i can stop by the yahoo site again....

I've been in a bit of a mood lately, and would like to see the blood letting first hand

Seth
Old 05-31-2001, 02:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Joe Friday, "just the facts ma'am"

Eddycat

Don't let the ba$tards get you down.

I have a few years on you, and one thing I learned, there is no absolute right and wrong, no absolute truth. Owning cars like these is about dreams and illusions, and a wise move is to allow people to have space for their dreams.

Now my car has 5 wheel steering, and nobody on this forum can make me think otherwise!!!

Well.........., maybe if they quote the right brochure.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-31-2001, 04:08 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
If you find a question worth answering, then, you can post the question and answer it. Likewise, you'd have full autonomy to delete any replies to the posts. It would be "your" own Subaru Senior Master Tech corner of the Network. The only reason this hasn't been created is because we were afraid that you might be inundated with questions and may not want to fool with them all. So, now, I'm asking. Would this be something that interests you? If so, then, sith (as you well know) can make it happen.

The rest of us can then stumble around blind with our preconceived notions.
That is basically what I am trying to do with this thread. But having been a sysop of a very popular, (and costly), local BBS, I do have my own concerns. *I* don't need to be the only person with the answer, my ego isn't quite that big. So why would I in my own infinite wisdom choose to delete someone elses posts? As long as it isn't vulgar, or spam, who cares? I just want to get a straight question, in return I offer a straight answer. If whoever asked the question doesn't like the answer, then just go away, don't argue with me, but that still doesn't give me the right to delete someones post. I've had that headache before, co-sysops deleting posts they found inoppropriate, when they weren't. No thank you sir Aredub...You can moderate this thread if you like, I had a good three years of moderation, I can't take anymore. (It was a WWIV board if any one is curious).

But if you do allow this thread to continue, I will answer to the best of my ability any teknikal qwestiuons thet arrize.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Very well. I will "moderate" without participation. Enjoy.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Thumbs up PEPPE!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz
Eddy... spekaing of just the facts... when is that date that 980HP SVX guy is supposed to have pics? I wanna mark it in my calendar so i can stop by the yahoo site again....

I've been in a bit of a mood lately, and would like to see the blood letting first hand

Seth
June 13th, or the 14th at the latest he said! Course he said he had pictures six months ago that he couldn't produce! I'm waiting with great anticipation for that day, you better bet he's gonna get it from this old dumbass mechanic if he don't come up with the proof!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 07:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: PEPPE!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

June 13th, or the 14th at the latest he said! Course he said he had pictures six months ago that he couldn't produce! I'm waiting with great anticipation for that day, you better bet he's gonna get it from this old dumbass mechanic if he don't come up with the proof!!!
Eddycat's garage sounds good to me.

Let the moderator take the flak. Techies by nature are immune to criticism, common sense, any of that $h!t. Time to let the not-so-meek inherit the earth I say.

How about it eddy? You got a double layer flame suit?? This forum NEEDS the sort of common sense and strong opinion that only someone with eddycat's experience can give. You could move in straight away, and your dumba$$ pussycat eddycat would only be required to drive customer's cars, not the Royal Blue prophylactically nosed thingy.

Whaddya c'est?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-01-2001, 01:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hmmm......I am not exactly sure what is going on at the moment in the broad terms of 'who's right' and I am certainly not going to get involved/take sides

but

for the sake of some sort of harmony amongst what I believe to be a close knit bunch of people here in a world of faceless autonomy, lets respect the views of each other. On the one hand, I can understand how frustrating it can be for one to be told something that may appear completely without basis but then on the other hand, in can appreciate where that second person may be coming from and believing that the basis on which they make their assertion is correct.

I still, on my quest for an SVX, have Subaru salespeople almost scream at me that the SVX does not have transmission problems and I know the frustration that I feel since I know what they don't. In the theme of this whole thread (steering) I also know the frustration from the days of Yahoo when, having DIAGRAM!! of a 4ws SVX in front of me( but not having a scanner at that time, unable to do much by way of proof), people on Yahoo who, in their oft repeated claims esp in email "knew better than me" told me that I was talking out of a certain boldily orifice. And they were convinced that they were right.

Go back to the early posts on Yahoo re: 4ws and read the authoritive statements that it does not exist. Then compare to what we know now.

Yes, some people will talk rubbish (eg 9 gazillion horsepower SVX with the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang limited edition flying capability and Mr Fusion time-traveling mixer a la Back to Future II) but a bit of tolerance is needed by all: by those who believe (perhaps mistakenly) in what they have been told/read AND those who know what the actual facts are. Meet in the middle and:

1) The true situation is revealed
2) No one's egos or feelings gets hurt
3) Harmony again returns to the land of split-windowed cars!
4) Jamsvx gets a Nobel Peace Prize!!

My thoughts for what its worth

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-01-2001, 02:53 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
1) The true situation is revealed
2) No one's egos or feelings gets hurt
3) Harmony again returns to the land of split-windowed cars!
4) Jamsvx gets a Nobel Peace Prize!!

My thoughts for what its worth

Jamsvx
Well Jam, here is why I have abandoned the AWS thread; I have been into more SVX's than most of the members on this club have even ever seen. And yet I still kept getting told I was incorrect. I *do* know a little about the car. This doesn't mean that I can't learn new things, some of the stuff here and on the other board that members have done to fix problems, or diagnose problems without the benefit of the special tools I had were interesting to say the least. But I think the last straw on that thread for me was when someone said I should try and be more patient when I teach (something on that order). I'm not here to teach, or preach. If you want to ask me a question, then I will answer it to the best of my ability, from memory mind you, I don't have a set of manuals here. And if you don't like the answer, ask someone else, and if they give you incorrect information...and you buy into it, your problem not mine.

I find the term eddycats garage kind of cool though, eddy likes to "explore", and that has included getting locked up in the neighbors garage overnight once. But if'n I do it there's going to be some rules:

1. Ask a straightforward question to the best of your ability. (Alot of people don't know the terminology for specific problems, and I don't have a problem with that.)

2. Don't argue, especially whilst waving a copy of R&T or a brochure.

3. If you disagree, go somewhere else and ask for a second opinion. Then you decide whom you want to believe. (Refer to #2).

4. If you already have a preconceived notion of what is causing your problem, why ask? You've already made your mind up. If after acting upon your notion the car still has a problem...then ask, but don't ask eddycat to say it's okay to do what you *think* will fix the problem.

5. Realize that I don't know it all. (I'm very aware of that thank you). I offer free *advice*, I'm not there with you and your car after all. There may be questions I can't answer. (Noises in particular bother me...how can I hear what you're talking about?)

6. If you *KNOW* the answer, chime in! You guys have more innovative fixes than me sometimes! Kuoh has fixed switches that according to manuals and parts books are unfixable.

This thread would be "eddycats garage" only in the fact that I was a technician, but that doesn't mean it has to be all technical. It's open to off topic stuff, (I like hearing about everyone's little trials and such), so no saying get back on topic.

Aredubjay is going to moderate the thing, I won't. The only thing that will get anyone into deep doodoo is rule #2. I'm not going to argue over facts that I know to be true. I'm just another guy, just like you guys, sitting behind a computer, I just happen to have a little first hand knowledge about the cars.

Having said all that, provided you still want it, eddycats garage is open for business.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:38 AM
lightning_8669

gaspedal?

Okay eddycat, I won't argue. My point in that discussion is, again, what people are "comfortable" with. I knew you'd catch the one about the accelerator pump but my point was more about what people call things. For instance, the folks in the UK talk about "blippers", we call them "remotes". What in some instances may seem like an argument are actually some innocent folks trying to find a word in their vocabulary that accurately describes what they are looking at. You should hear how my wife tries to describe certain mechanical things You should also see how upset she becomes when I either don't understand or completely misunderstand her. It's the Polyana (sp?) principle from my algebra class. Have I seen a problem like this before? Does it even resemble a problem I've seen before? and so on. I think the AWS thread got more concerned about what something was being called instead of what it does. I don't recall anyone getting peronal in any way. I call it a blipper, you call it a remote, either way it locks or unlocks the door (but so does a ball peen hammer).

I make a lot of decisions in the course of a day. But not until I'm adequately informed. Please don't mistake my questioning nature as disrespect or argumentative. I'm just trying to reach my information comfort level.

Thanks for all your patience and support.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:04 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile

Lightning_8669....
Love your avatar. It was a bit shocking at first, but I get a real charge out of it! Isn't standing under clouds a bit risky though? Especially large DARK clouds? Too dangerous for old volts like me... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-02-2001, 04:35 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

A sad day at eddycats garage...

I loaned out my precious generator. My wife's niece and her beau are making a movie and needed to buy or borrow one. (sniff) You do realize that probably within the next day or so the power in the area is going to go out don't you? (sob) It even started on the third pull and purred like Eddy! (it doesn't have but maybe an hour running time on it!)

On a lighter note though, I found a bunch of fake leather coats at the liquidation world. 20 bucks each. I had to buy one, they look really cool, don't know how they'll hold up, but the last real leather coat I bought cost me 300 bucks on sale! I *think* I've talked the wife into going in and looking at them also, they must've had a fire somewhere or something, they look fine and aren't irregular, but they are dirt cheap! Don't know if you guys have stores like that where you are...*amazing* deals sometimes! I bought a dvd tower from them, just identical to the VHS tape tower I got somewhere else...about 1/5th the price! They had barrels of these cigarette case things...nice looking and they included lighters...49 cents! Great stocking stuffers, heck you can't buy just the lighter for that normally! I sure do wish they sold booze...I'd never shop anywhere else!
Old 06-02-2001, 05:03 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: gaspedal?

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669

I make a lot of decisions in the course of a day. But not until I'm adequately informed. Please don't mistake my questioning nature as disrespect or argumentative. I'm just trying to reach my information comfort level.

Thanks for all your patience and support.
To argue with me you have to tell me I'm wrong. Once that has been done, then I'm done with the conversation here. I don't mind in the least when someone asks a question. But if you have it fixed in your mind what the problem is, and how it should be fixed, why ask me? That's the point I'm trying to get across. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't know it all, I've never (to my knowledge) said that. If you want to just come in here and get an okay from me that your idea of how to fix a problem is the correct way, and I don't agree that's the best way to do it...don't tell me I'm wrong because I won't agree with you.

Another thing I should mention is that I don't consider sales liturature *documentation*. And I don't care who published it. R&T, or even Subaru brochures are generated by people who know nothing about the cars, other than what they are spoon fed second or third hand from people that *might* know what they are talking about. The only true documentation would be TSB's (factory), or the service manual.

Eddycat's garage isn't a difficult concept. Take it or leave it...your choice. If you need help...I'll offer it to the best of my ability. If I have a spare test part or something, we can work on getting it to you. I'm doing this to help you guys, but when I get told I don't know my stuff on other threads, you better believe it irritates me! That's why I agreed to this *eddycats garage* idea...I won't be told I'm wrong here, take it somewhere else if you want to argue.
Old 06-02-2001, 03:41 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Couldnt resist

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

"pull"

................... phew!