SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
OT's done it again!

So I've been having some problems with my SVX recently and the thing was almost undrivable. I thought it may have been a problem so bad that I'd have to replace the engine so I took it to Tom's. The symptoms were horrible sputtering, a loud knocking, backfiring and one hell of a miss. When I first brought it over, it was only acting up when I pur it in reverse or when I crept forward in drive. It was sputtering and hesitating to go into reverse. When I brought it to Tom's I was expecting to pay in excess of $800 for the fix. He hooked my car up to the handy little device that shows if my car is throwing any codes but nothing showed up! Everything was normal aside from the obvious miss and knocking. He said it may be the coils so we should replace three on one side and see if that fixes it. I was in total agreeance until he told me the cost of coils.. No way I could afford that with my current job(I'll be working somewhere else next month I hope). I decided to let it go till it got too bad to drive, great idea huh? Nope.. The car should have technically not been driven three days later but I had no choice. I was driving my car to work and my girls Sonata whenever possible. I brought it back to Tom's Wednesday with more complaints about the backfiring and the smell from the back and we took it for a few test runs and hooked it to the handy little device again when finally it showed codes for the fuel injectors! Yeah, both of em. I told him I didn't have cash and I'd wait. It wasn't till Friday that I had enough of the terrible performance and enough money to finally fix it so I brought it over. He had some things arranged before I got there so I waited till Saturday to get it worked on. Man, it seemed like only minutes but he had it fixed in no time at all. Turns out that it was the two fuel injectors and one coil pack that was causing the trouble. He topped off my oil, fixed my ac(again), replaced some o rings where needed, and even steam cleaned my engine and washed my car! Guess it was the coil packs after all but thank god it was only one. The end result is amazing! My car runs much better than it ever has before and I even have ac again and all for a very low price!

Thanks OT, your work is flawless, as always.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: OT's done it again!

OT is definitely the man, I do remember also when I had my small accident few years back. I broke the headlight and the lower part of my bumper and I didn't have a spare light to fix my car.

I PM'ed OT asking if he had one, well the answer was "where am I shipping to?" so I gave him the address and he shipped it before receiving my payment!!

OT in his weird positive behavior, is just a unique guy with true essence and assistance present where you never expect...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I need to nag (read: call) about some issues I'll be up there to nag in October after my car gets painted

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I need to nag (read: call) about some issues I'll be up there to nag in October after my car gets painted
Are you painting it Polo or a different color? I suppose I'll be coming down to Wiley Ford sometime this fall too, I need new O2 Sensors, Egr solenoid and maybe brakes.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Are you painting it Polo or a different color? I suppose I'll be coming down to Wiley Ford sometime this fall too, I need new O2 Sensors, Egr solenoid and maybe brakes.
Plan is to keep it emerald I need to take care of the anti sway bar link and some rattling. Among other things.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles