Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM

So I was driving back to campus last night....

I was doing the weekly grocery run late last night and noticed the car felt a little warmer than usual. Looking down I saw my panel had lit up like a christmas tree; the steering, battery, brake and brakelight panel illuminated.

Pulled over and checked the engine bay but it was late at night and I couldn't see anything amiss,- belts were fine(but it was late at night, couldn't really see anything anyways). I was about 5 minutes from home so I decided to nurse her back. Played with all the electrics on the way back and they seemed to work but turning off the lights seemed to cause a strange squeel/vibration from the left part of the dash although I couldn't replicate this by turning them on and off again. Every other system seemed to work, no probs with steering and braking although the abs light did come on once or twice too on the way back. A/C worked but again turning it on for the 1st time made a funny noise that couldn't be replicated by turning it off and back on again.

No issues starting it today but still the steering, battery, brake and brakelight panels were illuminated. Kinda reminds me of when the alternator in my old 1984 crown vic gave out (awesome first car btw) but here on campus I really don't have much in the way of tools or time for that matter too (they tend to keep us busy in medical school) so I will probably have to take it in to a shop but opinions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. anyone know of a decent place close to UBC, Canada?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM

Re: So I was driving back to campus last night....

pull on the belts
Old 08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaSVX View Post
I was doing the weekly grocery run late last night and noticed the car felt a little warmer than usual. Looking down I saw my panel had lit up like a christmas tree; the steering, battery, brake and brakelight panel illuminated.

Pulled over and checked the engine bay but it was late at night and I couldn't see anything amiss,- belts were fine(but it was late at night, couldn't really see anything anyways). I was about 5 minutes from home so I decided to nurse her back. Played with all the electrics on the way back and they seemed to work but turning off the lights seemed to cause a strange squeel/vibration from the left part of the dash although I couldn't replicate this by turning them on and off again. Every other system seemed to work, no probs with steering and braking although the abs light did come on once or twice too on the way back. A/C worked but again turning it on for the 1st time made a funny noise that couldn't be replicated by turning it off and back on again.

No issues starting it today but still the steering, battery, brake and brakelight panels were illuminated. Kinda reminds me of when the alternator in my old 1984 crown vic gave out (awesome first car btw) but here on campus I really don't have much in the way of tools or time for that matter too (they tend to keep us busy in medical school) so I will probably have to take it in to a shop but opinions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. anyone know of a decent place close to UBC, Canada?
Same as your Crown Vic; those are symptoms of a alternator problem. Remove the alternator, take it to auto zone (or preferably alternator shop) and ask them to tested it for you. Chances are that it is in need of a rebuild or replacement.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Will pass gas for $$

Awh the dreaded christmas lights of our dash. Definitely electrical chargeing problem---either bad alt, bad belts or loose conection on batt or starter.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Theyre going to charge you upwards of $60, probably quite a bit more, to do something you can do in 10 minutes. You can even just get a cheap multimeter and check the voltage the alternator is putting out while the car is running. Whos going to care for your wallet or your car better than yourself?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM

BUT, IF the alternator is DISCONNECTED, then NO lights come on!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

thanks for all your responses, the belts are good and tight so I guess its probably the alt then...and if it is that easy to switch out then maybe I can cobble together enough tools to do it. Does the alternator usually affect any other electrics when it goes? Anyone know off hand exactly what you need to take the guard off, loosen the belt and take it out? I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics but I do want to learn and the alternator is pretty really accessable. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaSVX View Post
Anyone know off hand exactly what you need to take the guard off, loosen the belt and take it out? I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics but I do want to learn and the alternator is pretty really accessable. Thanks again.
Disconnect the battery negative cable with a 10mm wrench. Remove main alternator lead unscrewing the nut on top, small, maybe like an 8mm. The main plug has a tab that you push in, then you can pull it out. The guard over the belts is held on also my 2 10mm bolts. The tensioner pulley nut needs to be loosened to let it slide up the tensioner rail, its a 13mm. The tensioner adjusting bolt, the one that sits diagnally, is a 12mm... twist to release enough tension to remove the belt. Once thats done, the alternator is held on by two long bolts, 14mm, remove and the alternator can be wiggled out of the bracket.

So, a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm wrench or sockets with extensions, and a small pair of pliers or small wrench for the main alternator positive lead.

I think I remembered everything correctly, if not im sure someone else will chime in and help....the alternator is so easy a caveman could do it. But if i were you id borrow or buy a cheap multimeter to check the output voltage first... theyre only like 10 bucks for a simple one....

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 AM

You mentioned a "squeal," then a "funny noise" when turning on the AC. Before you ditch the alternator, be sure the crankshaft pulley isn't coming apart. I'll bet that's your problem.

dcb
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Could also be a bad crank pulley....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM

AND also check out the big wires to the alt, I had 2 of them grouding out on mine when I 1st got her and the christmas decorations lit up, hope this helps..........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the crank pulley till you deal with the alternator...

That was a very expensive mess up...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
You mentioned a "squeal," then a "funny noise" when turning on the AC. Before you ditch the alternator, be sure the crankshaft pulley isn't coming apart. I'll bet that's your problem.

dcb
A good possibility... I would think though that since he mentioned his power steering was fine that the pulley is holding together ok. If anything is going to kill a failing crank pulley, its the accessory that puts the biggest torque load on the pulley.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Edit: Double post.... stupid internet

Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephis View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the crank pulley till you deal with the alternator...

That was a very expensive mess up...
If it is his crank pulley, then his alternator is probably fine....so check the pulley first, it costs nothing to check....just put a mark across the whole face of the pulley, start it up and run it untill you hear the squeal, then shut it off and see if the inner and outer sections of the pulley stayed lined up via the mark you made...if not you need a new pulley.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"