Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
automatic trunk popper

with all the issues I've been having with parts wearing and not currently being able to get into my trunk got me thinking, has anyone gotten into looking into getting an automatic trunk popper with a button or anything??? just to give it a little bit easier open???
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: automatic trunk popper

You mean like with a remote setup or something? That'd be even more complicated than the system that is on the car now (which isn't that overly complicated in the first place).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX

just get some trunk pins :P makes it look sportier and adds 15hp :P
Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Lol there is no way you're serious. Hahaha but I just think it'd be nice addition, I plan to put a viper alarm system n stuff so to be able to pop the trunk too would be nice
Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Neon lights warm up the air underneath the car thus an upward flow of air is created making the opening of the trunk easier... fo sho.

But to be realistic... get hydraulics.

Last edited by Sov13t; 07-08-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
just get some trunk pins :P makes it look sportier and adds 15hp :P

I would have guessed 20Hp at least. Get a ricer universal spoiler and that adds an other 30hp... Hahahahahahahaha. Each decal is 5hp as well. If you get the ricer muffler its at least 50Hp...... Pur muffler..... wait never mind its not Honda so non of that stuff helps, I forgot sorry guys.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Very easy, mine will have it. Though, I will also have the factory cable release, I will be putting my solenoid in the trunk lid since the lock is no longer there. You could remove the cable part and hide the solenoid down there pretty easily though, but I really like the way Subaru did the cable release.

I'll take plenty of pictures when I get around to doing it.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

A few people have added aftermarket alarm systems with a trunk solenoid. They attached the solenoid to the release cable just a few inches away from the latch mechanism.

There's even a handy outlet back there with +12V you can use for the solenoid. See this post.

[ADDED: I now have a harness that will plug into that 4-pin cell phone power harness]

If you want to control that from a switch or an alarm module up front, you can intercept the +12V wire at the fuse panel under the dash. Use something roughly like an add-a-fuse and wire your switch or relay in between.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
There's even a handy outlet back there with +12V you can use for the solenoid. See this post.
Awesome, that will definitely come in handy.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Thanks for the serious answers. Once again so typical of the SVX forums, anything aftermarket that's not a turbo or supercharger is ricey. I just think it for one modernizes the car, and also makes my life easier opening my trunk. How that makes it ricey, I'm confused.

Anyway, I hope the trolls got their jolly's off calling something else ricey. Lemme get right on that fart can exhaust decals and um... oh ya ginormous spoiler....

Oh wait, that's right, I'm installing my hydra and debadging things making it look cleaner instead... hmmm weird... I guess that makes me a ricer...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
A few people have added aftermarket alarm systems with a trunk solenoid. They attached the solenoid to the release cable just a few inches away from the latch mechanism.

If you want to control that from a switch or an alarm module up front, you can intercept the +12V wire at the fuse panel under the dash. Use something roughly like an add-a-fuse and wire your switch or relay in between.
Very useful info, I did not know that was even there. That could be very helpful.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
Thanks for the serious answers. Once again so typical of the SVX forums, anything aftermarket that's not a turbo or supercharger is ricey. I just think it for one modernizes the car, and also makes my life easier opening my trunk. How that makes it ricey, I'm confused.

Anyway, I hope the trolls got their jolly's off calling something else ricey. Lemme get right on that fart can exhaust decals and um... oh ya ginormous spoiler....

Oh wait, that's right, I'm installing my hydra and debadging things making it look cleaner instead... hmmm weird... I guess that makes me a ricer...
I think you need to relax. Its all in good fun. Don't take everything everyone says so seriously. Do what you want and don't worry about what other people say or think. You'll be much happier if you just ignore it rather than making comments like this. Saying things like this just adds fuel to their fire.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

I'm just sick of it. I swear in the past like 6 months it's been all people post is how ricey this and that is. I honestly could care less what they think it's not going to change what I do or think, it's just a waist of my time reading it over and over
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 AM

I didn't take it personally when I was more or less called a ricer for wanting to shave the door handles and some other stuff, mostly because they were just being ignorant. I define rice as a simple acronym Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements, nothing I did was meant to make the car look like a race car, so nothing I did was rice.

Some consider neon lights rice, I don't, when done right on the right car, they are great. When I see a primer Civic go by with erratically installed neon tubes that are visible under the car and wires hanging down, I'll make fun of him, but will not call him a ricer just for the neon. If I see a '49 Mercury that has been chopped and channeled go by with a very even, preferably purple, glow coming from under the car with nothing but the light itself visible, I'll respect that. Most unibody cars can't pull off neons.

Cars aren't all about being fast or looking fast for me. I got over the fast car thing a long time ago when I sold my 1966 Mustang coupe, even though I miss it every day. I didn't buy the SVX for speed, I bought it because I like the way it looks. I still respect people that throw down obscene amounts of money to make their car faster, but that just isn't for me, I'd rather have something that looks good that I can drive anywhere.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Id like more information on this, Elliot, especially if you have photos of your solenoid install. Im strongly considering this for my Ebony, as it is undergoing bodywork.