How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-23-2002, 11:26 PM
CopsodyX

hi guys!

Remember me? I used to be SVXlover. I missed all of you!

Anyway, I just bought my SVX! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

It's a 1992 SVX LS Touring with the wing. All original, one owner, 96k miles, never even a fender bender, clean title, etc. Claret/black. So gorgeous.

He traded it in for a new A6 2.7T (Does anyone see how many SVX owners become SVX owners?). The dealer in PA took me on an open freeway, and in absolutely no time we were at 120 MPH, and the car felt so solid it felt like we were standing still. But then, we hit traffic at 60 MPH, and a minivan pulled ahead of us in the left lane. ASS! The SVX guy slammed the brakes, and threw the SVX to the right, and downshifted the tranny from D to 3, and we slowed fast, and I was so hooked. The adrenaline running through me was...OMG!!! I bought the car right there.

It's so awesome that this will be my first car. Only *KNOWN* problems: Rear wheel bearings, crummy power window switches.

Just a quick question: How much was insurance for you 16yo out there? I haven't figured exactly yet.

Oh, and one more issue...after that unbelievable run, we got back, and the car seemed fine, and we shut the engine. We started it up again. Smoke came out of the engine bay. He says that the ****ty plastic brake fluid resivior shot a bit of fluid out of it because of the very high pressure stop, and it put the fluid on the hot engine. He is actually a race car driver, so I pretty much believed him, and it didn't happen again from what I saw. I hope it wasn't anything else, but they said if there were any problems, they'd take the car back, and give me my money back, so i'm not too worried.

Hey, ANOTHER quick question: The car will be driven back 125 miles to my home. What do you think I should do for the car? Redline fuel system cleaner? Tranny flush? Dare I say tune up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2002, 11:29 PM
CopsodyX

And BTW, we took the off ramp at 80 MPH, a sharp turn, with no tire squeal. Again, amazed. I was so happy, I didn't even look at the tires. What tires could do THAT?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:43 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: hi guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

The SVX guy slammed the brakes, and threw the SVX to the right, and downshifted the tranny from D to 3, and we slowed fast, and I was so hooked. The adrenaline running through me was...OMG!!!

Oh, and one more issue...after that unbelievable run, we got back, and the car seemed fine, and we shut the engine. We started it up again. Smoke came out of the engine bay. He says that the ****ty plastic brake fluid resivior shot a bit of fluid out of it because of the very high pressure stop, and it put the fluid on the hot engine. He is actually a race car driver, so I pretty much believed him, and it didn't happen again from what I saw. I hope it wasn't anything else, but they said if there were any problems, they'd take the car back, and give me my money back, so i'm not too worried.

Hey, ANOTHER quick question: The car will be driven back 125 miles to my home. What do you think I should do for the car? Redline fuel system cleaner? Tranny flush? Dare I say tune up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

After the down**** to 3rd, did you see the tranny fall behind? What did he do that for?

Smoke, I would be careful about. My red SVX (just sold) used to smoke. I know power steering O-ring (easy cheap fix) was leaking but the engine was leaking like mad as well. So be careful about the smoke comming out from the car. You can check if it is really PS leak by driving your car in a circle (tight) at a low speed (like 2mph). If it groans form the front wheel area, it's the ps leak. Otherwise, you are looking for a lot more $$$$

Make sure they write it in words that if there is anything wrong with the car, they'd take it back. If he is a race car driver, let him drive on the track. Not on the road. I am not too happy about that. I know (and trust me) KNOW how to abuse a car. SVXes do not like to be abused. Well, they do but they will slap you with a huge money pit.

If tranny/engine is runing, check your tranny fluid. If it is ok, do not flush it out. Slowly drain some and replace some over time. Suby dealer recommandation to my 92 with 120k miles.

Good luck
welcome

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 05-23-2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:25 PM

Re: hi guys!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CopsodyX
[B]Remember me? I used to be SVXlover. I missed all of you!

Anyway, I just bought my SVX! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

well the use to be doesn't apply any more!

welcome back to your senses! Congrats on your buy

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
SVXlover -- I remember you well from our days on the Yahoo club. In fact, I've been compared to you by our mutual "friend," eddycat.

I'm happy to welcome you to the most interesting and fanatical group of car owners in the world. Now, you'll no longer have to just read about the experience, you can LIVE it with the rest of us.

Meanwhile, have your "race driver" salesman change the fluid in your tranny (for the d-3 downshift) and check your rotors for warpage, after the MiniVan incident. Wouldn't hurt to tell him to check his drawers, too. Sounds like a close one.

Anyhooooo, welcome!!!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-25-2002, 09:42 PM
CopsodyX

Thanks all. Great to be here.

But my enthusiasm was greatly reduced today. My mom and I went to pick it up. I was so excited. They checked all the fluids, and it needed braking fluid. So they did it, and my mom wanted to drive it. She loved it, but it took her a while to get used to the windows. Anyway, everything was great except for the wheel bearings.

Was great. We got home 150 fun miles later, and I was driving it. It felt really good. Steering was good, but it moved a bit from bumps, but in a way I like how I can feel the road, literally. The rear wheel bearings need to be changed. The suspension feels good...tight, comfortable, no noise. The engine is very quiet with the windows up, and with them down, there is a slight whir from the engine...like a wine. Tune up? The car feels very powerful, much more so than my moms A6, which I expected. The tranny shifted well, the AWD felt like it was working, but even though my mom said that she didn't feel it, when making a turn and accelerating, I felt maybe a thud, like the AWD shifting, or a kind of light, fast, repeating bang. Scary.

Then, we had a BIG problem. I was really working the car, when I noticed that the brakes were getting very soft. I was pressing to the floor. So then, I went into my driveway, and the car was hemoraging braking fluid every time I pressed hard on the brakes. I don't know what to do. I'm a bit confused, and I really need help.

Thoughts please?
Old 05-25-2002, 10:29 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
My first thought is that the salesman was jerking your chain - hard. Take it back before you lose your three day right of recision and either make them take it back or fix everything. Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2002, 10:31 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
My first thought is that the salesman was jerking your chain - hard. Take it back before you lose your three day right of recision and either make them take it back or fix everything. Good Luck!
Please don't make me cry. I love that car. PLEASE...!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! No! Why?
Old 05-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Apparently the car has problems that the salesman was trying to gloss over - there's no reason for him to be putting brake fluid in it unless there was a malfunction. Slamming hard on the brakes one time doesn't make the fluid squirt from the reservoir. I also suggest the reason he placed it in third gear when he hit the brakes was because he already knew there was a problem with the brakes. As far as him being a race car driver I'd be more apt to believe the only thing he's racing for is the state line.

I realize that it's probably your first car and you're proud of it and happy to have such a cool ride. But you are already looking at around $500 for the rear bearings, how much more are you willing to cough up?
Old 05-25-2002, 10:51 PM
sith

I agree that you definatly need to get in touch with the sales guy before your grace period is gone. If the guy is honest and apologetic about it, let them fix it and see how it goes. If he tries to feed you a line (lets see.. "all of them do that" or "you must have broken it because you're not used to driving"), take it back, demand they accept it back, threaten to get your lawyer in there, whatever you have to do. If they give even the slightest hint of trying to blow you off, get rid of the car and wash your hands of the whole experience. Then start hunting for another one

Others may feel differently of course, but I dont think you want to get stuck with a money-pit car...

-colin
Old 05-25-2002, 11:41 PM
Boone

<< .. when making a turn and accelerating, I felt maybe a thud, like the AWD shifting, or a kind of light, fast, repeating bang. Scary. >>
Say hello to Mr. Transfer Clutch.. sounds like the car has way too many problems to make it worthwhile. Find another first car... B.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:20 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Like I said in the previous post, there is something wrong with the car that I can not pin point. Looks to me like my previous 94. Get rid of it fast.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-27-2002, 05:06 PM
CopsodyX

Good god.

Boy.

The problem about bringing it back is that they are rather far from me. But I guess I may have no choice.

Could it be the differential oil making the slight shake? When I checked the diff. oil, it smelled burned. Is that normal?
Old 05-27-2002, 05:09 PM
CopsodyX

Oh, and SVX gas guages are screwy, right? Because when I left the car, and came back, there seemed to be a tiny bit less gas, and I put a blanket under the rear of the car to see if anything was leaking or whatever, and nothing from the back that I noticed...
Old 05-27-2002, 05:12 PM
Boone

Burning smells are not a good thing. RUN... do not walk back to them and get your money back. Better yet drive back if the car will make it.... really.