Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM

Shattered Window!

My driver's side window was broken while I slept last night! (Luckily, it was just the easily replacable lower section.) It was almost explosively shattered! The interior is covered in glass, and it was raining last night, so it's pretty wet inside. I had parked my car at the top of our driveway, parallel to the road because it had been snowing on Friday, and I wanted to be able to get out of the driveway. (I'm driving a FWD SVX.) Strangely, I didn't drive the car all weekend, since I had a rare weekend off and there was a lot of X-mas prep stuff to felp my parents with at home. Therefore, it stayed where I left it even when the snow melted. Big mistake! I don't know if someone broke it on purpose or if it was hit by a rock from a passing car. (But the odds of the later seem pretty small!) When I tried to unlock the door with the remote, it would instantly relock. I had to go in through the other side, and manually push the interior lock switch up to open it. I guess there are little pieces of glass interferring with the mechanism.

I've already found a replacement window at a junk yard for $40. I'm about to head out to pick it up, then vaccuum the now-garaged car, and maybe even get the new glass installed by the time I start work. Or that last part may have to wait till tomorrow, since I work at 3:00, and it's a long drive to get the glass!

I really should have gone to Philadelphia & New Jersey this weekend! Then my car wouldn't have been parked there! I came so close to going to Tom's Moving the Shop Meet, even though I never posted about it. When I got home from work after midnight on Friday night/Saturday morning I still hadn't made my decision. I even printed out some maps of how to get there, and set my alarm for 4:00 am, because it would take me 5.5 to 6 hrs to drive there. The facts that I would only get 3.5 hrs. of sleep, that I had a lot of stuff to get done around here (Didn't do as much as I planned, though!), and the money I would have spent on gas and turnpike fees all combined to make me decide against it. I ended up going back to sleep after the alarm went off. Now I REALLY wish I hadn't.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
That's a bummer, broken windows are no fun. Fortunately you have already found what you need, so that's good. You missed a good time at tom's shop, and an extra hand is always appreciated.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...oh the irony...we just removed a drivers door glass from a defunct laguna blue door. So, if you came here, you would have been able to get the part that you wouldnt have needed in the first place

anyway, that sucks, but at least you already have a replacment lined up. Good luck with the install...wear some gloves
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM

I know!...It's all very Back to the Futurish, isn't it? I just got home with the window. Luckily they had one w/blue tint. I only thought of that on the way there. It's from a 92, so I hope the tint hue didn't change, considering that there weren't any Lagunas then. It's scratched pretty bad near the top w/parallel scratches, but beggers can't be chosers. At least it doesn't have the "scratch pad" tracks on it as far as I've seen. Won't get around to the install till tomorrow, but I'm heading out to the garage to start the clean up before I leave for work.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM

I've finished the install! I spend a lot more time vaccuuming up the mess than anything else. I was surprised at how much glass was inside the door after I'd already cleaned up so much from the cabin. I couldn't get all the glass out, but I got most of it. The new window does actually have the "scratchpad" tracks. The other scratches are parallel to them and cover most of the window, not just the top.

I think someone smashed it with a hammer. Just above where the interior door lock switch is, the black rubber seal where the window meets the door is a little deformed and marked. It looks like the metal underneath has a dent in it. There is also a mark on the interior seal just across the glass from that. But maybe it was always there, and I never noticed.

I think I'm going to need a new windshield next! When the temperature dropped last week, I think the crack on the windshield spread a few inches toward the driver side.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy
I really hope that the saying "What goes around comes around" is true.
My dad left his car on the side of the road, a little before Halloween. They hit it with a bat and threw good sized rocks through drivers window, rear passenger window, rear window,the windshield. The rocks damaged the center console and the air conditioning vents. We didn't have full coverage so we payed out of pocket too. They also side swiped my dads current car overnight. Keep in mind this is upstate NY not the city. I just hope that they get their's in the end. I hope the same for you!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]