Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM

SVX at MPG

As an automotive journalist in Los Angeles, I belong to MPG, the Motor Press Guild. Our active members are either working (published) journalists or automotive PR people. Every November, for the past 28 years, we hold “Track Day.” Essentially, it’s the world’s biggest toy box. We go to Rosamond, 80 miles north of Los Angeles in the high Mojave desert, and there, at Willow Springs Raceway, the various manufacturers have supplied 118 of their latest models for us to taste. They are split up, about half available for laps on the 2.5 mile road course, the other half available for driving along routes set up on high desert back roads. The first day is also set up with “comparos” at which we rotate quickly through similar vehicles, to grasp their similarities/differences.
OK, so why am I writing this? On the second day, there is a “Show and Shine,” to which members are in-vited to bring their automotive pride-and-joys, so everyone can see them. Trophies are offered in three cate-gories; Best of Show; Most Unique; and Oldie but Goodie. I put my ’92 SVX Ls L into show and shine, and was surprised on returning from the last test drive of the day, 20 road miles in the new Lexus IS-F, to find that I had won the Most Unique!
On the trip up and back, 80-some miles of freeway, cruising at 75-80 mph, I averaged 25 mpg, and realized again what a superb cruiser the SVX is.
Here are some pictures of the occasion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worlds-biggest-toy-box-is-ready_MG_9614_DXO.jpg (14.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Show-and-Shine-entrants_MG_9627_DXO.jpg (21.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg With-trophy_MG_9643_DXO.jpg (16.2 KB, 218 views)
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 11-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
As an automotive journalist in Los Angeles, I belong to MPG, the Motor Press Guild. Our active members are either working (published) journalists or automotive PR people. Every November, for the past 28 years, we hold “Track Day.” Essentially, it’s the world’s biggest toy box. We go to Rosamond, 80 miles north of Los Angeles in the high Mojave desert, and there, at Willow Springs Raceway, the various manufacturers have supplied 118 of their latest models for us to taste. They are split up, about half available for laps on the 2.5 mile road course, the other half available for driving along routes set up on high desert back roads. The first day is also set up with “comparos” at which we rotate quickly through similar vehicles, to grasp their similarities/differences.
OK, so why am I writing this? On the second day, there is a “Show and Shine,” to which members are in-vited to bring their automotive pride-and-joys, so everyone can see them. Trophies are offered in three cate-gories; Best of Show; Most Unique; and Oldie but Goodie. I put my ’92 SVX Ls L into show and shine, and was surprised on returning from the last test drive of the day, 20 road miles in the new Lexus IS-F, to find that I had won the Most Unique!
On the trip up and back, 80-some miles of freeway, cruising at 75-80 mph, I averaged 25 mpg, and realized again what a superb cruiser the SVX is.
Here are some pictures of the occasion:
I am glad to see that you placed in the meet. We are Unique. Very nice. I wish folks were not afraid to come this way with some of the meets tho, to show, and trade some first hand info with us.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
AWESOME!
Especially as it comes from the jaded experience of automotive journalists. I can't blame them though, that's one CLEAN Pearlie!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Great job! Nice to see such a fine SVX get the recognition it deserves!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
Looks like a nice 65 galaxie there too...

Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Depressing thought

Yes, I'm happy to get the recognition. But all the MPG members who saw the car remembered it from the day, and most remarked on how much they wanted one, particularly after they drove it.
Nowadays, I see another Alfa 164 maybe once a week. I see another Capri roadster maybe twice a week. But in the three months I've owned the SVX, I've not seen another. That's sad.
I know from the board that there are at least half a dozen members within 100 miles of me, and I'm still willing to try to get some type of meet, especially at the Petersen Museum, to which I have some access. Come on, Southwestern members, let's try to bring in the new year with a get together.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
One teal and One yellow

Nice pearlie. Congrats....!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05