Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-06-2002, 08:10 PM
EverclearAtMSU

seams to me if SOA really wanted to beam in the eyes of the public, they would come down and help us out. I have so much respect and loyalty to any company that goes out of their way to help out their past customers, even if it is with something they no longer make.

Yes, it's rare to find a company that will do this, but they are out there. It's just too bad that the auto industry just does not do this. If there was, I'd only buy their cars.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Green1995SVX

I'm pretty much down on Subaru because of their lack to support or even acknowledge us. If they were a more supportive group, I could see myself buying their cars for years to come... at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm moving to another car company for my next car.

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 08:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I was thinking today about how SOA's stance has been regarding us SVX owners. It seems they really want nothing to do with us. We have a great club going on here. Has anyone made them aware? It seems like Subaru in Japan is always having events for the SVXers over there etc...
As far as I know, almost all SVX meetings and events here in Japan are done by the various SVX clubs with NO input from FHI.

Quote:
So, what's up with subaru? We have their nicest, must expensive "flagship" car. Why no support?
It certainly was their "flagship" at the time of its release. The President of FHI gave up his chauffered car so he could drive himself to work and back in an Alcyone SVX.

However, here in Japan too, it seems that the SVX is a car which Subaru would rather forget about, it is viewed as a very costly 'mistake' which almost sent them under. Dealers here have very little or no knowledge when it comes to servicing the SVX and that includes the factory in Gunma. I once took my SVX to the service center at the factory and came away very disappointed.

Thank goodness for the various SVX clubs, a lifeline of support and advice!

paddlesnz
JAPAN
Old 05-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

In my less than humble opinion the SVX crumbled due to its association with the Subaru name. Here we have a cute, tough, mudcar maker trying to be a purveyor of luxury cars. Do we buy wedding dresses at L.L. Bean? Toyota, Nissan & Honda assumed correctly, at least in this country, that no aspiring yuppie type would be seen "trading up" from a BMW 3 series to a Deluxe Datsun. Now a LEXUS, you say.... why, Dahling, won't the Joneses simply cringe with envy! Retaining the Alcyone name could have made the difference, especially in the early '90s when the SUV (gag) & van craze was in second gear, about to peel rubber into third. Yeah - bad timing, too.
It wasn't just Subaru. Cadillac Allente, Buick Reatta, Chrysler Maserati - All half-heartedly dipping toes into strange waters with little future commitments. How many "certified" techs hide when they see one of any number of abandoned models waiting for service?
The Miata was an instant success - cute, small, convertible, reasonable price, from a company noted for small, decent, reasonably priced sedans. The 929? Large, luxury, expensive... from Mazda? Nah...Let's buy an Acura Legend. The second generation 929 was, in my opinion again, the best looking sedan to ever come out of Japan. Go to a 929 "club" & you'll find the same problems we find in terms of dealer support. Yup... Life wit' cars just ain't fair sometimes. We can't get parts; we can't get service, but at least we got good taste, & most importantly, we got each other.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
We can't get parts; we can't get service, but at least we got good taste, & most importantly, we got each other.

Ron.
Ron... That was very mooving. And speek for yourself on the taste... I've seen your alcohol preferences. All joking aside. Has anyone here read "Where the Suckers Moon?" I'm about half way through it, and it is a great book. For those of you who dont know, it is a book about the failed marketing/advertising campagn done for subaru during the early 90's. Including, the SVX's thing. VERY interesting. Might be a little dry, though, if you're not into marketing.

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 08:29 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

It certainly was their "flagship" at the time of its release. The President of FHI gave up his chauffered car so he could drive himself to work and back in an Alcyone SVX.

However, here in Japan too, it seems that the SVX is a car which Subaru would rather forget about, it is viewed as a very costly 'mistake' which almost sent them under. Dealers here have very little or no knowledge when it comes to servicing the SVX and that includes the factory in Gunma. I once took my SVX to the service center at the factory and came away very disappointed.

Thank goodness for the various SVX clubs, a lifeline of support and advice!

paddlesnz
JAPAN
Paul, I recall seeing photos on various sites that show svxers driving on subaru's little "track" thing and they had a svx pace car for them etc. Although, i havnt been able to translate the captions, it looks like a subaru thing. What was that meet? (just curious)

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:

Paul, I recall seeing photos on various sites that show svxers driving on subaru's little "track" thing and they had a svx pace car for them etc. Although, i havnt been able to translate the captions, it looks like a subaru thing. What was that meet? (just curious)

-Mike
FHI were keen to promote the SVX in the early days but recently very little or no input/support. Do you have any links?

paddlesnz
JAPAN

P.S Subaru's little track 'thingy' is actually very big.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Green1995SVX

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Ecloud/skc.htm

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 09:54 PM
deadeye95

Truth was, nobody wanted a $30,000 Subaru. The name was not established for sporting cars. You can be shot in Texas just for mentioning the brand.

Short term, Subaru's loss was my gain. $24K sticker with a $2K rebate...and was killer technology compared with the 300Z of the time. Long term, excessive depreciation and - expensive/lack of - parts will get me back.

Bought it 8 years ago this month in Santa Fe. Just rolled 90K last Friday. No major replacements (sorry, but I'm feeling nostalgic). You should have seen the salesman's face when I said I would buy it, bet he got the commission of his life......
Old 05-06-2002, 10:03 PM

Quote:
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Ecloud/skc.htm

-Mike
A semi-open day at the FHI Test Track for Subaru owners, with the SVX represented by all 10 members of the Amadeus club.

On a different topic, next year is FHI's 50th Anniversary, rumors of a new mid-engined SVX replacement are appearing in the motoring publications here.

paddlesnz
JAPAN
Old 05-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

A semi-open day at the FHI Test Track for Subaru owners, with the SVX represented by all 10 members of the Amadeus club.

On a different topic, next year is FHI's 50th Anniversary, rumors of a new mid-engined SVX replacement are appearing in the motoring publications here.

paddlesnz
JAPAN
There have been a number of rumors floating around the publications here regarding a "new svx." I'm maintaining my skepticism for now.

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
that's it Iam going to chain myself to the my svx in front of Subaru Headquarters and not eat till they admit they LOVE THE SVX
Old 05-06-2002, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Well I don't think we can totally write off Subaru, I think we can all agree that they need a complete new marketing department, but the cars they come out with are second to none, of course in my opinion. I love all subaru's Iam not prejuidice.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Ron Wins a Box o Wine

I think Ron hit it exactly on the head. (and wins a box o wine!)

Maybe now with some cash infusion from GM's partial ownership of FHI, they will be wise enough and able to expand to a Acura/Lexus type nameplate and bring out something worthy enough to sit in the garage by our 'classics'

I'll be saving my money for that day....as I'm not going to buy any new car until then :P

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-07-2002, 12:49 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sith
So wait Randy ... you're saying the SVX was all a plot to takeover Cuba? It makes so much more sense now...

or.. maybe you didn't mean quite so literally
Actually, it was a plot to take over Granada, but the Cubans got in the way of the Vietnamese and trashed the Bosnians in Croatia. Then, there was the other war . . . (You're too goofy Colin.)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI