How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX
I Found One! (And got questions)

Well I've been searching for about a month now, and finally found the SVX I wanted. It's a black '92 and I love it; even if it is a bit sluggish compared to my XR4ti

My first problem is that as soon as I took it for an extended drive (like half an hour) it began to overheat. It got hot very quickly, then the fans kicked in and it hovered right below the red, untill I let it idle in the driveway. It then started to vent steam like crazy out of that big silver canister next to the overfill tank. Is there some sort of quirk that could be the issue? Or is this probably just a bad thermostat?

My other question is where can I get some new hood struts? It's really hard to hold the hood up with one hand and try to diagnose the cooling system with the other, and I'm not too keen on carrying around a stick to use as a prop.

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to clean this thing up and take her for a nice long joyride!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Big silver canister? That's the fuel filter. If it's overheating and venting steam out of the overflow, I hope it's just your thermostat How many miles on it? Is there black goo inside the overflow tank? It should be very clean inside. You could have a blown head gasket, which is what happened to my '92 pearl.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
That big silver canister with the hoses coming out of it is your fuel filter. It sits in that curved space right behind the coolant reservoir.

I can't imagine what would cause this to vent steam as you describe. How many miles are on your car?

The hood struts are common failures. People have modified NAPA struts to work.

Here are the Subaru part numbers for the struts.
57251PA000 Hood Stay RIGHT
57251PA010 Hood Stay LEFT

$72.81 each from Subaruparts.com, or about $93.00 each from your dealer.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I would start with the cheap things first, like flushing your coolant and replacing it. Make sure it's 50/50 coolant/water (don't mean to insult your intelligence but hey at one point I didn't know that).
Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Registered SVX
Well I was irritated and holding the hood up, so I didn't take a really good look. It must be venting steam somewhere near the silver canister. I am assuming this was just 'cus the system was so hot. It looks like the fluid is very clean, so I think I'll replace the thermostat, then flush it if that does not work.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Congrats on the car. Take good care of it and it'll take good care of you.

And please post in the appropriate forums.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
One teal and One yellow

Congrats for your new car.

Sometimes it's going to take a while to find the roof problem. Don't let your car overheat too often, maybe it's not good to your tranny...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Registered SVX
Well I got it all cleared up. It was just low on fluid, I think it must have (slow) a leak. After I let it cool down and checked it, it was nearly a gallon low. Toped 'er off and drove it for about 45 minutes with no problem. Yay now I can drive it to work!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Better keep an eye on it. A car often blows coolant because it's overheating, not vice-versa.

dcb
Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Registered SVX
Yeah, but I'm sure it didn't loose THAT much when it was overheating. I'm sure it was low on coolant in the first place.