Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM

F'ing cars today

So today I take my Grandma out to breakfast (like I usually do on Saturday AM) and we take my Maxima. I haven't been driving the maxima all that much lately because I have been enjoying my SVX. The SVX is a 2 door, and lower to the ground so the maxima is easier for my grandma to get in and out of. So we go eat and come back home and I park the Max.

Decided to do some work on the SVX, installed new retractable antenna and some other minor things. Then decide, well I have already replaced my front speakers so I might as well get around to the rear's. Pop them out pretty easily and then remember I didn't buy the replacement ones. Figured, why take the svx out when it is in pieces and hop in the Maxima. Doesn't start. Figured, it hasn't been driven much and today I just did 2 short drives (under 10 minutes) to and from the restaurant. Get the battery charger out and start charging the Max. Wait the alloted time and the car has No power at all.

Dug out the receipt for the battery and it was from Sam's on August 04. Out of warranty D'oh. Head over to Sam's to buy a new one (in the SVX that is kind of in pieces). When I get there, they tell me they prorate batters out of warranty. Great, Drive back home, start removing the battery. The clasp holding it on is was rather rusted so I spray it with some wd40. Remove one side, then remove the other side....only I didn't remove just the nut, I just broke the metal. Head back to Sam's, with the battery and all sorts of pissed off.

Stand in the car area of Sam's for about 45 minutes waiting for anyone to do ANYTHING. Finally Bob comes over to help me and I give him the story and he gets out his testing unit. I tell him I was just charging it so it will probably show a charge. He gives me some dumb line on how it does more then test a charge. Tells me after the test is run it is fine. I tell him he and his magic machine are wrong. Tells me something about it has 611 cold cranking power. I told him again then apparently that is not enough to start my car because my car wont start. he finally just gives in and sold me the new one for $25.

Now I run over to best buy to get my new rear speakers. They don't have the ones I want but found others that would do fine.

Get home and put the new battery in the Max and wow, it starts right up. Close the hood and it pops back up. the stupid hood release no longer works. I shoot it with some wd40 to see if it is just frozen. It doesn't, I Lock the car and walk away pissed.

Head over to the SVX to do the rear deck speakers. easy enough the rears were already out so I just connected the wires to the first one. turn the stereo on and it works great. Not the best fit in the world, but they still fit under the grill. Move onto the second one, connect the wires turn the radio on and it makes no noise. probably put the wires on wrong....some how. swap them and again Nothing. Then only thing I can think that would cause this is my new head unit was put in and those were not connected properly. Those idiots already had to fix it once because they forgot to hook up my antenna power cable so it wouldn't go up.

Stupid cars.

Greg
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
check the resistance on the one speaker should be 4 ohms if there isnt enough resistance it wont turn on its a fail safe
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 10-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
pfft, aint nothin. Who needs a radio anyhow? I havent had one that worked in ANY car i've had.
That and I just put a perfectly good working engine in my mechanicly defunct SVX. The replacement motor just doesnt wanna run for some reason. regardless of if its a bad spaker or something a little more...urgent...you just need to do some troubleshooting and find out what is making the thing that doesnt work not work.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten