How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2002, 11:16 PM
alacrity024

rubbing noise when i turn

hey.. I get this funky kind of rubbing noise when I turn the car at low speed under power.. any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2002, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Did you recently change wheels or tires, or do anything else to the car? You really didn't give enough info for any kind of solid diagnosis.

KuoH
Old 03-22-2002, 08:34 AM
alacrity024

I did recently put new yoko's on all around, but there was some rubbing prior to their installation so I really can't provide much more information. If I'm at low speed and make a hard (90 degrees) turn while accelerating, I get a rubbing noise. That's about it.

-a
Old 03-22-2002, 08:53 AM

Sounds like the new tires might be rubbing on rear fender lining. Put some chalk on the outside lip of the lining and check for evidence on the tires after a test drive. Are you using aftermarket wheels? This was what happened with mine when I tried some wheels with a slightly different offset and tires which had more bulge in the sidewall than the stock.

KuoH
Old 03-22-2002, 09:13 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Also check your PS fluid. Mine has been leaking and it makes that nice lovely noises at low speed, hard turns.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Are you running with the original wheels? or after-market? If stock and you have the correct tires (225/50), then you should not have any rubbing. If you have after-market wheels, then most likely that is the problem - either incorrect width (7.5 inch) or the offset is wrong (55 mm I think).
Old 03-23-2002, 08:45 AM
alacrity024

heheheheh..

Adam can't afford aftermarket wheels, and i'm running 225/50 yokohama's... I'm gonna try the chalk thing as soon as the roads dry up.. I suppose I'll check PS fluid too, but it really sounds like Kuoh described--they're rubbing on the inside of the fenders. what would cause this? worn bushings? camber fluctuations as a result of mis-alignment? I'm probably due for a four-wheel alignment sometime soon anyway.. just as soon as I get some money..

-Adam
Old 03-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Is the inner liner of the fender in the right place? Do you have the correct height measurements? There is a spec for the distance between the center of the wheel and the bottom lip of the fender. If your car is too low (for whatever reason) you might get the rubbing.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:55 PM

Some tires will also do that, despite having the same specs on paper. Some just have stiffer sidewalls and a flatter profile. I know of a past member on Yahoo who had stock wheels but a different brand tire, Eagle something I think, and the sidewall bulged enough to rub the fender lining when there was enough weight in the back.