How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-19-2002, 12:58 PM
sk8ing19

I am at a lose with this one....

Okay this one as thrown me for a long time.
here it is, I am getting this odd vibration when at idle, its been there for maybe as long as I have had the car. Its kind of this vib.....vib.......vib......vib...... type of thing. It almost seams like it goee along with one full cycle of the motor. However I have popped the hood and put my hand on the motor while its running and don't feel anything . So any Ideas. One thought I had was it may be the flow of exsust moving throught the system?????
Old 02-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: I am at a lose with this one....

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Okay this one as thrown me for a long time.
here it is, I am getting this odd vibration when at idle, its been there for maybe as long as I have had the car. Its kind of this vib.....vib.......vib......vib...... type of thing. It almost seams like it goee along with one full cycle of the motor. However I have popped the hood and put my hand on the motor while its running and don't feel anything . So any Ideas. One thought I had was it may be the flow of exsust moving throught the system?????
I get that too. It used to be worse, before I cleaned the throttle body. Sometimes it would even feel like it would "hiccup" -- not enough to be a problem, but, just a slight "hiccup," almost unnoticeable. The hiccup went away after the throttle body cleaning, and the vibration lessened, but didn't completely go away. I may need to do a more thorough cleaning.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-19-2002, 01:38 PM
sk8ing19

I also thought it might be the fuel pump making the vib. Inregrds to the fuel pump does anyopne get a gurgle sound upon start-up and shut-down, it seams to come from near the gas tank. the car also acts as if its having trouble getting fuel while driving every now and then (the car just seams to pause while pushing on the gas), is the fuel pump maybe getting ready to go?
Old 02-19-2002, 03:31 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Chris,

The fuel pump makes a sound when you turn the key. It's normal.

Aredub,

How hard was it to remove the throttle body?

VK
Old 02-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Chris,

The fuel pump makes a sound when you turn the key. It's normal.

Aredub,

How hard was it to remove the throttle body?

VK
You don't have to remove the throttle body. Just pull your H-6 cover, undo intake clamps and remove the hoses, air box, et al to expose the "butterflies." You'll need a mirror in order to inspect the condition. Open the butterflies using the throttle cable connector on the throttle body and give her hell with some throttle body or carb cleaner. You'll be surprised at the amount of black gook that will pour out. It may take a can or two (maybe three), but, just keep flushing 'til the stuff begins to run clear. Between cans, you might use a rag to wipe out some of the cleaner and to wipe around the butterly seals to make sure they're clean -- a toothbrush around the seals wouldn't hurt either. Try not to do this in your garage, the stuff will pour onto your floor -- not to mention you need a VERY WELL ventilated area and for goodness sake, don't let anyone with an open spark come near you.

After you've cleaned it really well, and buttoned everything back up, don't be surprised if she's hard to start, at first, and that she blows some white smoke. It's normal. She might even run a little rough for a few minutes -- it's just the system getting rid of the excess cleaner -- your ECU will also have to adjust for the change in the air intake, if the gook was keeping your butterflies from sealing correctly.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-19-2002, 04:30 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Try not to do this in your garage, the stuff will pour onto your floor -- not to mention you need a VERY WELL ventilated area and for goodness sake, don't let anyone with an open spark come near you.
You'd make a good warning label writer, randy

-Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 04:35 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
not to mention you need a VERY WELL ventilated area and for goodness sake, don't let anyone with an open spark come near you.
Hello Mr. Insurance Adjuster Person. Well, what happed was, a fellow SVX owner told me to clean the throttle body, and that it was easy. So I did, but I did it inside my garage, and the fume got to me and I momentarily blacked out. Then some idiot must have flicked a cigarette butt into the garage, and that's how the fire started.

My car? It was a 92. What's it worth? Well, let me show you this ad in the US Autotrader for $12000USD... Or this other 96 listed for $65000USD...

VK
Old 02-19-2002, 09:39 PM
deadeye95

Gurgle

I get the gurgle every now and then when starting for several seconds, mine is more of a buzz. Like it is starving for fuel.

The gas tank stradles the drive shaft with left and right fuel level sending sensors (and I assume different fuel suction feeds?). After some research, I've come to the determination that it has something to do with the different levels of fuel in the sides of the tank.

I wouldn't take that to the bank, but that diagnosis doesn't cost anything to fix.