Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I'm confused

OEM are NGK PFR6B-11 (double platinum)
Not the same as the crap you get at the chains that NGK says are platinum plugs and cost $6 a piece.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
No plug is pure platinum. Some are sold as platinum, some as double platinum. The difference is whether just the center electrode is tipped or both the center and ground electrodes are tipped. This is also why platinum plugs are not supposed to have their gaps checked - the platinum coating is so thin that a feeler gauge can scrape through the coating - presto! you just turned your $75 set of plugs into a set of $12 plugs.

Thanks but I was trying to make it understandable for someone who isn't going to change their plugs because it'll cost 'em $300 and are afraid they can't do it on their own.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'd rather see someone install single or double plats that will last (providing other problems don't come into play) 70k+ miles, especially if they're paying $300 labor to have them changed. Single and double plats don't erode as quickly as standard plugs. Electrode erosion increases the gap, which has spin-off consequences such as excessive coil loading and spark leakage through the insulating tubes, either of which will require coil replacement - another expense.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Beav; 09-10-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I'd rather see someone install single or double plats that will last (providing other problems don't come into play) 70k+ miles, especially if they're paying $300 labor to have them changed. Single and double plats don't erode as quickly as standard plugs. Electrode erosion increases the gap, which has spin-off consequences such as excessive coil loading and spark leakage through the insulating tubes, either of which will require coil replacement - another expense.

Just my opinion.
Totally agree esp if they have to pay someone to put them in. You'll appriciate this. I changed the plugs in a friend's Civic last weekend. They were original to the car I'd guess as he got it with 30k on the odo and it now has 160k. The gap was about a 1/8 of an inch from wear! He's been meaning to get around to 'em for 5 years now.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Darn, go away for a few days and I miss making $300! Tell you what, I'll go down to $250 and I'll even come to your place to do it since I live in KC! Count yourself lucky considering the gas prices.

KuoH
Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM
crimsonnblue

Well....
Thnx for the offer but I have another problem on my hands. You wouldnt know how to clean my Throttle body and IAC would you... I would give you some cash for that if that fixes my stalling problem...

Im a noob when it comes to cars... my first actually and I need to learn