How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Power Steering Rack Questions

I've been thinking of purchasing a rebuilt power steering rack. I just wanted to get the boards experiences/opinions/pro's/con's on the subject...what to look for ect...thanks in advance Chris
Old 08-25-2005, 08:36 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
I've been thinking of purchasing a rebuilt power steering rack. I just wanted to get the boards experiences/opinions/pro's/con's on the subject...what to look for ect...thanks in advance Chris

I've only purchased aftermarket parts twice for my car. The first time was a power steering pump. It was DOA. The second time was rear brakes. They are noisy. I'm sure you'll find many people that have had good luck with aftermarket parts, but so far I'm 0-2

Dave
Old 08-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
yeah i guess it is a bit of a crapshoot...I am going to price around for new one's from the websites i got from the "online subaru parts" thread.

Another question, I got a quote from a mechanic for installation of the power steering rack of 355 including alignment...any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM

Aftermarket Parts

Aftermarket parts are crap, they are not worth the time and money. I changed rack and pinion twice on my 91 GTP, second one was better but it was still leaking air in to the system.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSVX
Aftermarket parts are crap, they are not worth the time and money. I changed rack and pinion twice on my 91 GTP, second one was better but it was still leaking air in to the system.

Some aftermarket parts aren't too bad. I used to work for an aftermarket parts store and and I'd have to say that at least 40% of our parts were good. The problem is that I think a lot of aftermarket parts are meant for "cheap and quick" fixes. Most of our customers just wanted to fix their car so they could sell it. They didn't want long lasting, high quality parts. They wanted to fix their car as cheap as possible so they could get rid of it.

Dave