How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-31-2002, 09:04 AM
craigk

Question Transfer clutch repair

My AWD has given up on my 92' with 155k on it. My local dealer guy said it would probably cost $400 - $700. He has the clutch parts in stock, because they do them fairly often. He did ask me if there were any trans lights on the dash upon startup, which would indicate some electronic error. I don't, and therefore he's confident of the clutch rebuild path. Anyone have any thought? Any things I need to beware of? I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:15 AM

It could also be (I believe the term is) a split reduction gear. There is a club member that has his SVX for sale and he also does not have 4WD. This is the problem he is reporting, I also had this problem when I had an SVX. So before you go putting out money make sure the repair shop guarantees in writing that their diagnosis is correct and will fix the problem.

Keith
Old 01-31-2002, 06:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The transfer clutch may be okay and the transfer valve and solenoid may be bad. A check of the transfer case pressure will tell you that. If you have pressure in the transfer case it should be the clutch plates that are bad. If you got no pressure in the test port (this is between the transfer valve and clutch plate piston) then it is the solenoid valve transfer valve assembly.

Huck has told me the wires are very brittle and easy to break when you get in there.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:36 PM
craigk

Unhappy split gear

The service guy, Lou, said that the transfer clutch turned out to be alright. Instead it was a split reduction gear. He said that one possibility to save money was to only replace the split gear and not it's mate. But that doing that could lead to a whine. I optec to do both. Another $800 or so down the drain. What else is going to go wrong with this car?!!!
So far I've done the radiator head tank. The left rear wheel bearing 3 times (two under warrenty), the A/C screwed up but fortunatly didn't cost anything to fix.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Lowered SVX

oh craig......

your hell has just begun. just remember anything worth loving will give you problems. i mean just ask randy's (aredub) wife!

on a serious note, this car does have some nagging reliability issues. you basically have two choices:

1. deal with the problems as they come and keep the car.
2. get rid of it right now while you are ahead.

i can not bear to do option 2 even though i have considered and threatened it many times.

good luck craig.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-04-2002, 04:55 PM

Re: split gear

Quote:
Originally posted by craigk
The service guy, Lou, said that the transfer clutch turned out to be alright. Instead it was a split reduction gear. He said that one possibility to save money was to only replace the split gear and not it's mate. But that doing that could lead to a whine. I optec to do both. Another $800 or so down the drain. What else is going to go wrong with this car?!!!
So far I've done the radiator head tank. The left rear wheel bearing 3 times (two under warrenty), the A/C screwed up but fortunatly didn't cost anything to fix.
A split reduction gear? The reduction gear drives the front wheels? You siad your rear wheel drive wasn't working, right? The reduction gear is right in front of the transfer clutch and it drives the shaft that powers the front differential. If it split in half or just spun on the shaft it would have done a lot of damage to the shaft and or transfer case housing. You also would have had only rear wheel drive.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:46 AM
craigk

Wink fixed

They fixed it Thur. Cost $740 instead of the $850 he was warning me about. The reduced cost was because he could only use 1 of the two gears he was intending to replace. Apparently on my 92' the transfer clutch basket was already welded to the gear? It was the other gear that split. Apparently this unitized transfer clutch basket and gear is an upgrade. Anyway, he said that the replacement set gear wouldn't go in because of different shaft sizes due to teh "upgrade" set already in there. So he only replaced the gear that was split and fortunatly there isn't any whine due to mis-matched gears.
Old 02-15-2002, 04:58 AM

Re: Transfer clutch repair

Quote:
Originally posted by craigk
My AWD has given up on my 92' with 155k on it.
If you could, please, what was your car doing that caused you to think your AWD was not working?
Old 02-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: oh craig......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
your hell has just begun. just remember anything worth loving will give you problems. i mean just ask randy's (aredub) wife!

on a serious note, this car does have some nagging reliability issues. you basically have two choices:

1. deal with the problems as they come and keep the car.
2. get rid of it right now while you are ahead.

i can not bear to do option 2 even though i have considered and threatened it many times.

good luck craig.
Leo-

I threaten my car nearly once a week.. This usually keeps it working correctly. I think, generally, It gets scared that I'm going to sell it to someone that's gonna smoke in it and drive it into curbs like the lady that had it before me. It doesnt want that life.

-Mike