Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Hellboy

Forward In All Gears

Hello, Everyone!

I need some help. I've just completed a tranny rebuild (Level 10 Stage 2, new solenoids, TC, oil pump, etc.). Everything went together just fine, but now that the tranny is fully assembled, I've discovered that in all gear selections, my beloved SVX goes forward!! Even in Neutral and Reverse. Only in Park does my car not move forward.

I have no trouble codes from the instrument panel "power light". My brake band is adjusted correctly, my shift cable is connected properly.

There are no noises coming from the rebuilt unit, fluid level is good, and there are no leaks. The inhibitor switch was not moved so it should be in good position.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hellboy
Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
ThetaReactor

Stop parking on a hill.

Sorry, I can't really help you...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Can you confirm the neutral position on the tranny? Can you roll the car in park?
Old 04-09-2005, 01:30 AM

Whoever installed valve body into tranny probably forgot to hook up manual valve to the gear selector linkage.
Selection of forward/neutral/reverse gears is done via mechanical linkage (hence manual valve), selection of 1-4 forward gears is electronically controlled.

It does not move in park because the gear selector has a parking claw that blocks rotation of the output shaft.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1674
Whoever installed valve body into tranny probably forgot to hook up manual valve to the gear selector linkage.
Selection of forward/neutral/reverse gears is done via mechanical linkage (hence manual valve), selection of 1-4 forward gears is electronically controlled.

It does not move in park because the gear selector has a parking claw that blocks rotation of the output shaft.
Yes that will be it. Somebody else did this a while ago.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Hellboy

Forward In All Gears II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1674

Regrettably (and shamefully), I am the tranny rebuild guy in this case. I've looked through my ATSG manual that came with the rebuild kit and I find a two-line statement that reads "Install the control valve body by engaging the manual valve and manual lever, then tighten the 18 bolts", but I find no pictures. So I've got a couple of questions for you since you obviously know more about this than I do.

Where/What is the manual valve?
How do I engage the manual lever and valve?
Do you have any Guinness?

Thanks for your help,

Hellboy
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy
Regrettably (and shamefully), I am the tranny rebuild guy in this case. I've looked through my ATSG manual that came with the rebuild kit and I find a two-line statement that reads "Install the control valve body by engaging the manual valve and manual lever, then tighten the 18 bolts", but I find no pictures. So I've got a couple of questions for you since you obviously know more about this than I do.

Where/What is the manual valve?
How do I engage the manual lever and valve?
Do you have any Guinness?

Thanks for your help,

Hellboy
If you pull the pan off, and look up at the valve body, where the shift linkage comes through the side of the box. You will see the manual valve rod with a U shaped end on it,poking out of the valve body. It should hook on to the end of the shift linkage, so that it is moved in and out of the body, as the linkage is moved.

You will have to pull the valve body down again, to get the valve end hooked in the shift linkage.

Harvey.
ps .no Ginness, only Coopers Special Bitter

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
If you pull the pan off, and look up at the valve body, where the shift linkage comes through the side of the box. You will see the manual valve rod with a U shaped end on it,poking out of the valve body. It should hook on to the end of the shift linkage, so that it is moved in and out of the body, as the linkage is moved.

You will have to pull the valve body down again, to get the valve end hooked in the shift linkage.

Harvey.
ps .no Ginness, only Coopers Special Bitter
Harvey,

Thanks for your help!! My red rig is now up and running; she purrs like a cat again and I'm no longer wasting revs burning up clutch disks.

Thanks again,

Ian
Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Rebuild Kit?

Out of curiosity, where did you get your Level 10 Stage 2 Kit?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE