Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-18-2005, 12:07 AM
deruvian

Question Washington Subie owners - where's a good salvage yard?

I'm finally there. I'm gonna do it. I just can't take it anymore.

I am going to swap in an AWD 5-speed into my FWD SVX.

Every time I hop in the car, I envision myself clutching and shifting. It drives me nuts. I also see myself doing controlled four-wheel drifts. I flat-out need an AWD 5-speed.

So, Washington Subie owners, what is a good salvage or wreckage yard to go to for parts? I've always found these things to be a little difficult to research. Always better to ask someone who knows.

I need to start with the basics. I need to get a rear LSD (limited slip) differential. Getting one that's already 4.11 would be great, but getting the stock SVX one would be fine too. I would also need the mounting bracket and bolts.

I need to get the rear half shafts as well. Should I get some used ones, or just bite it and get remanufactured ones?

And of course, I also need the driveshaft. I'm not sure if it's better to have the U-joint or CV-joint driveshaft for the swap, and I'm not sure if I can be that picky, but I will do some research I suppose.

What do you think? Do you think I can score this stuff for around/under $500 - $600?

Thanks all for the help. I'm sure I'll be needing it for the upcoming hoards of work.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The scary thing is you could probably get a good parts car that will have everything you need for that price.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:10 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
The scary thing is you could probably get a good parts car that will have everything you need for that price.
I have thought about that, actually. I just don't have the ability to store it anywhere. If someone else does, I'd be happy to share all unused parts with them. Which would actually be quite a bit, seeming as I only need about 3 or 4 parts from the doner.

Also, most parts cars seem to have been given that status because the tranny or engine died, usually meaning high milage. I'd like to stay away from using any parts that have too high of a lifetime, i.e. 100k - 120k is the limit I'd like to try to keep.

However, like I said, if someone else in WA, or possibly nearby Canada, has the space for it, I'd be glad to share parts.

Back to the originating question: Where are some good salvage yards for Subie parts?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deruvian
I have thought about that, actually. I just don't have the ability to store it anywhere. If someone else does, I'd be happy to share all unused parts with them. Which would actually be quite a bit, seeming as I only need about 3 or 4 parts from the doner.

Also, most parts cars seem to have been given that status because the tranny or engine died, usually meaning high milage. I'd like to stay away from using any parts that have too high of a lifetime, i.e. 100k - 120k is the limit I'd like to try to keep.

However, like I said, if someone else in WA, or possibly nearby Canada, has the space for it, I'd be glad to share parts.

Back to the originating question: Where are some good salvage yards for Subie parts?
I bought an engine from Gundies, very pleased with the engine condition and their service. Keep in mind that I only did one transaction and only via phone.
The place is in Bellingham, WA, phone 1800-444-4344

www.car-part.com is the place to do price shopping.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've had pretty good luck with Aaron's auto parts.

http://www.aaronsauto.com/

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.