How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

If there is a Home Depot near you,their line of Husky tools are really good for the money.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Whatever you do DON"T buy a $12 torque wrench! If what you're doing is important enough to use a torque wrench, it's important to use a real torque wrench. Look around, you can find beam type torque wrenches for around $20-$30, and the best thing about them is they never lose calibration.
I have one of them and it is dead on with my beam type. Comes with a lifetime warranty for calibartion as well. It is the perfect thing for taking to autoxs to torque wheel lugs and is about the same price as a lug wrench. Besides, a beam type wrench is a real pain to get into most places such as valve covers etc. I never said it was the best to get but unless your torquing down a Triumph TR7 head you should be just fine with one of these starting out since 99% of the torquing you will do has a wide range of acceptable torque levels.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I have one of them and it is dead on with my beam type. Comes with a lifetime warranty for calibartion as well. It is the perfect thing for taking to autoxs to torque wheel lugs and is about the same price as a lug wrench. Besides, a beam type wrench is a real pain to get into most places such as valve covers etc. I never said it was the best to get but unless your torquing down a Triumph TR7 head you should be just fine with one of these starting out since 99% of the torquing you will do has a wide range of acceptable torque levels.
For $12 I'd leave it in the car in case I need to bludgeon thieves.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

.. since 99% of the torquing you will do has a wide range of acceptable torque levels.
Common misconception - there isn't a 'range' of torque specs. The first value listed is for used fasteners, the second for new fasteners. New fasteners stretch when torqued, used are already stretched and don't require the extra bit.

Also, just puuting two torque wrenches against each other is absolutely no gauge of accuracy. Nor is torquing the same fastener with two wrenches. You may be right that your $12 wrench is accurate but I would never assume that the majority of them are. And I would not base my opinion on anything less than an accurate bench testing. In my experience (as a professional mechanic and a past *** Tools distributor) you never get what you pay for in the first place, and what appears to be a bargain is usually farthest from being a bargain.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Common misconception - there isn't a 'range' of torque specs. The first value listed is for used fasteners, the second for new fasteners. New fasteners stretch when torqued, used are already stretched and don't require the extra bit.

Also, just puuting two torque wrenches against each other is absolutely no gauge of accuracy. Nor is torquing the same fastener with two wrenches. You may be right that your $12 wrench is accurate but I would never assume that the majority of them are. And I would not base my opinion on anything less than an accurate bench testing. In my experience (as a professional mechanic and a past *** Tools distributor) you never get what you pay for in the first place, and what appears to be a bargain is usually farthest from being a bargain.
Yeah going out and spending all his $$$ on a torque wrench makes sense too. This is the real world Beav. The guy has X to spend wants to get the best and as much as he can. Is it better that he goes and gets 20 open ended wrenches from Snap On and uses them for everything? That would probably be the worst thing he could do as it isn't the right tool for most of what he's doing. He is looking for the best bang for his buck which is what I'm helping him do. What did you suggest he spend his money on? Not trying to be personal about it as everyone is entitled to their own opinions but which one of us is trying to help him out the most at the moment. A $12 torque wrench is about all that fits into his budget and is a hell of a lot better than no torque wrench at all. As for a beam torque wrench to get one with a decent range from Sears your looking at $40 minimum.

Maybe someone got a little snobbish as a *** Tool distributor. I know I am when it comes to my work tools. I won't touch anything Cordless that isn't Dewalt and very rarely get anything corded that isn't Bosch or Milwalkee.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sorry you're offended. My point is to not waste money on something that may very well cost more in the long run. Personally I wouldn't even be looking at one at this point, if I were him. Too few uses for one and when the need arises he could probably borrow one from a parts store.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:44 PM

In my youthful days I worked at one of my Dad's service stations - mostly so I could get cheap Sunoco 260 and a place to work on my MOPAR

Anyway, the "crusty" old mechanic there never used a torque wrench on anything other than cylinder heads. Now I'm sure he had talented hands....nonetheless I never saw him use one (other than on a head) and I never saw a return based on something falling off or being crushed. He told me to use the same tool I used to get the part off, but apply a little less pressure and I'd be OK. Not sure if he knew just how dumb I am, but that's a whole 'nother story.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

SEARS-CRAFTSMAN or Snap-on no others considered
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Don't laugh but Great Neck tools from Auto Zone are pretty good. Lifetime warranty and pretty well made. I live 2 blocks from Auto Zone and I buy them in a pinch and haven't regreted it.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry you're offended. My point is to not waste money on something that may very well cost more in the long run. Personally I wouldn't even be looking at one at this point, if I were him. Too few uses for one and when the need arises he could probably borrow one from a parts store.
Neither would I if mechanics didn't command $65 or more an hour for their work. Didn't offend me but I was simply answering the question.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Hater

i think you need to evaluate what use you're going to be putting these tools through.

i bought a $30 torque wrench - it pretty much only sees duty for torquing lugnuts. works fine for this. if i was working on aircraft engines, i'd probably get a better one, but i'm not. it wouldn't make sense to buy a $150 torque wrench to put my wheels on with.

i have a cheap set of 18V cordless tools that have worked great for years. if i was in construction and abused them daily, i'd probably invest in DeWalt or something good, but i only use them occaisionally.

now, i did spent some $$$ on a good set of socket wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and pliers, because i have broken these before, and they are probably used most often out of all my tools.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
In my youthful days I worked at one of my Dad's service stations - mostly so I could get cheap Sunoco 260 and a place to work on my MOPAR

Anyway, the "crusty" old mechanic there never used a torque wrench on anything other than cylinder heads. Now I'm sure he had talented hands....nonetheless I never saw him use one (other than on a head) and I never saw a return based on something falling off or being crushed. He told me to use the same tool I used to get the part off, but apply a little less pressure and I'd be OK. Not sure if he knew just how dumb I am, but that's a whole 'nother story.
My dad's the same way. I use his torque wrench more than he does and he's a mechanic.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Whatever you do DON"T buy a $12 torque wrench! If what you're doing is important enough to use a torque wrench, it's important to use a real torque wrench. Look around, you can find beam type torque wrenches for around $20-$30, and the best thing about them is they never lose calibration.
I used to own $20 clicker torque wrench from someplace cheap (don't remember - either Harbor Freight or Kragen). Well, it almost worked, but occasionally it just did not click.
It has found its way to the garbage bin soon after a broke a head of a bolt - something I don't remember ever doing without a torque wrench.

A $60 clicker torque wrench from Husky is a whole different experience.
But if money is an issue, I agree with Beav, go for a torsion beam. They are precise and reliable. They are not as fast to use, but if you are not doing it every day for the living the extra seconds you spend are not worth the price difference.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Sale at Northern Tools. Went there yesterday and saw some really great deals, better than Sear's early bird after Thanksgiving day sale.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:47 AM

just buy a Harry, an Alan, and a Chris

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.