SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2001, 08:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Question What gear are you in ?

There is a discussion going on at the Yahoo SVX Club site.

The question is:
To insure tranny longevity, should an SVXer leave the tranny in 'D' and let it do the work or should one drive in 2, 3, or D depending on speed and conditions.

The floor is open - opinions wanted.

Larry III
PS: The technical service people seem to favor leaving it in 'D'.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:27 AM
Lowered SVX

i never shift between the gears manually.

i just put it in drive and go. i just cant see the benefits of manually shifting. to my knowledge auto trannies were just not made to operate like that.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 09:49 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: i never shift between the gears manually.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i just put it in drive and go. i just cant see the benefits of manually shifting. to my knowledge auto trannies were just not made to operate like that.
ditto
Old 12-20-2001, 09:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The auto tranny was designed to "do the work." The TCU reads conditions and adjusts accordingly. I, personally drive in D and would only think that "forcing" the car to drive in a selected gear, would do more harm than good. I could be wrong, but, that's my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-20-2001, 01:18 PM
Lowered SVX

just make me too.....

NERVOUS!!!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 04:56 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
IMHO, the 1,2,3 selectors are there for show and to make more money for SOA and FHI. The more you use the 1,2,3 with manual hold, the more you are going to put strain on the tranny. I might be wrong here but put it on D and press the brake when you do not want your car to move and press the gas when you want to go forward or backward.

lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
There was a theory a while back that driving in '3' in town would save the transmission from shifting to 4th. Fewer shifts means less heat, went the theory.

The only side effects I saw were:

1. Decreased mileage.
2. I frequently forgot to shift the car to 'D' when I got on the freeway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 04:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
3rd gear driver.

I don't agree with manually shifting the box, the computer does it better. BUT, I do most of my around town driving in 3rd gear.
In 3rd the planetary gear sets are locked together as a solid shaft for a 1:1 ratio, to give an overall ratio of 3.7 (or so). It is much more lively in traffic and fuel consumption is better, alternator charges better, lights are brighter.

The main reason is that, most of the transmission heat is produced in the torque converter, when it has to multiply torque. Which it has to do a lot of, when driving around town in D. The overall ratio in D is a very high 2.5:1. This causes the converter to do a lot of torque multiplication to reduce the overall ratio to a lower ratio, (the converter can go to a 2:1 reduction), producing a lot of heat in the process. As we all know heat is the transmission destroyer.

When I come to any conditions that is not high speed cruising, I go back to 3rd. Especially in the hilly country.

Make it easy on the transmission, and your wallet.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
There was a theory a while back that driving in '3' in town would save the transmission from shifting to 4th. Fewer shifts means less heat, went the theory.

The only side effects I saw were:

1. Decreased mileage.
2. I frequently forgot to shift the car to 'D' when I got on the freeway.
Nick,

John Shotsky just proposed this theory on the Yahoo site.

Larry III
Old 12-20-2001, 05:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Nick,

John Shotsky just proposed this theory on the Yahoo site.

Larry III
Well, it's not a new one. And I think it's horse pucky. But then what do I know?

The only time I can see it being of any measurable benefit is if you HAPPEN to be in traffic that is not a constant speed, but at the right range where your car has to shift between 3rd and 4th a lot. In that case, you need to calm down and don't ride the bumper of the guy in front of you so you can keep a constant speed.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 09:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The part I find amazing is that this is an issue in the first place. Why would anyone want to.... oh, to heck with it....

Beav
Old 12-20-2001, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
the auto trannies on subaru's have 1,2,3 primarly for towing purposes and for inclimate weather. you have more torque in certain gears, and need better traction in snow. However I would say usingthe 1,2,3 gears should be used sparingly. In my opinion
chris
Old 12-20-2001, 11:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Ability to hold 1st gear: descending extremely steep grades and extended slow speeds, such as encountered in The Easter Parade. However, the SVX's small windows restrict the amount of waving done by its occupants unless they have a knack for duplicating the royal's 'wrist-twisting'.

Ability to hold 2nd gear: Descending not as steep grades and for more throttle/torque control on low-traction surfaces.

Ability to hold 3rd gear: Descsending light to moderate grades at higher speeds and to eliminate 'hunting' while driving at speeds that cause the transmission to shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th gears.

Selecting 3rd gear in traffic keeps trans from 'hunting' and usually keep torque convertor from 'locking up'. The main cause of the stock trans cooler plugging up is the clutch material from the torque convertor. The material degrades and 'flakes' then moves downstream to the most constricted area - the cooler. Selecting 3rd in traffic may help brake life and help reduce wear on torque convertor clutch.

Towing with the SVX: I'm getting a wonderful image of a hitch bolted through the bumper skin and towing a fourteen color, has-been U-Haul trailer.

Aside from the above, why would anyone one to manually shift an automatic? There shouldn't be any damage from it, afterall being in first is, well, being in first (or second, or third, etc.) But it does sound as though someone is desperately trying to figure a new way to abuse their car, doesn't it?

Beav
Old 12-20-2001, 11:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Afterthought...

If one were to manually shift 100% of the time, portions of the valve body would have no purpose in life. Kind of a 'use it or lose it' syndrome. Soon after converting to manual shifting people will start new threads on how to overide their auto temp control, how to eliminate those nasty power windows and locks, remote mirrors, etc. Next thing you know their cars will be reduced to Pintos with fat tires and funky windows...

Beav
Old 12-20-2001, 11:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Beav, I'm really beginning to enjoy your posts. It's kinda like the "ghost of eddycat" with all of the spit and none of the vinegar. I realize that's kind of a "backhanded compliment" but, it is meant as a compliment nonetheless.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI