Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Greatest JDM Supercar?
Acura NSX 16 31.37%
Mazda RX-7 6 11.76%
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 4 7.84%
Nissan 300ZXTT 1 1.96%
Toyota Supra TT 15 29.41%
Subaru SVX 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2004, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX

From Chike's original post:

"P.S. One more note, let's only discuss JDM supercars cars that made it to the showrooms on US shores. No Skyline GT-R's, Silvias, Soarers, etc"
Guess he should have call the Thread "USDM Japaneese supercars" then.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
theres nothing like 800 ponies of stock bottem end 2j. Hands down the most over engineered and potent car in a straight line on the list.

phil

p.s. a 300hp civic dosnt have a chance against a 1000rwhp supra. Not saying a 300hp civic isnt fast(built some b20 and gsr turbo's) but hands down not a race.
I think he was being sarcastic. He was probubly taking about people who tune for big dyno numbers, in RPM ranges that aren't useable in true driving situations. You can make 1000HP at high RPMs, but if your turbo is so big it doesnt come on until your at 6000RPM it isnt doing you a whole lot of good. You need a good balance of low-end grunt to go with the high power top-end, to have a well balanced racer.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Ok, I gave my vote to the 3000GT, just because of the technical value. They put alot into them. Here are some of my favorites (in no paticualar order).

1) AWD
2) V-6 Twin Turbo
3) 6-Speed trans
4) Exhaust has Touring(quiet) and Preformance(louder) Modes
5) Suspension has Touring and Preformance Modes
7) Computer adjusted rear wing (The 2000 had the large loop instead)

It is also one of the best looking of the group. I think I like it a little better then the SVX. I'm all about the sexy curves. I can't discount any one the price for repairs. All of them can break the bank with mainteince bills. The Honda may break less, but it can still be a little pricy when it does.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
I think he was being sarcastic. He was probubly taking about people who tune for big dyno numbers, in RPM ranges that aren't useable in true driving situations. You can make 1000HP at high RPMs, but if your turbo is so big it doesnt come on until your at 6000RPM it isnt doing you a whole lot of good. You need a good balance of low-end grunt to go with the high power top-end, to have a well balanced racer.
Agreed. Those big horsepower Supras are awesome to watch at the track, but when not on slicks, stepping on the gas only produces wheel spin.

That's one advantage that big Hp Skylines have over the Supras on the street - awd!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

As far as body styling, I think that the RX-7 should take it... The curves on that body are just beautiful... Don't get me wrong, the SVX is very beautiful, but the RX-7 just has flowing curves... Very beautiful IMHO.... I would almost like to take one and put a STi motor in it driving the rear wheels .... Rotary just doesn't get me going all that much.... Plus, they got TERRIBLE Gas Mileage!!! I almost bought a 93 Twin Turbo RX-7, until I asked what the mileage was.... The owner said that it got 13mpg in the city and about 18 on the Hiway Don't think I'd get too far on that....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 10-12-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:14 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Agreed. Those big horsepower Supras are awesome to watch at the track, but when not on slicks, stepping on the gas only produces wheel spin.

That's one advantage that big Hp Skylines have over the Supras on the street - awd!!!

-Chike
Believe it or not, all the big hp skylines in japan are RWD. Very few are running in AWD. AWD is only advantagous under 60ft, ive been in on and have ridden/driven my share of 800hp supras and believe me, they dont have problems hooking up with the right tire/ street rubber(which anyone with the money to build an 800hp will have) Take for instance your typical c.~800hp supra.
http://to4r.com/media/mani_new_dyno.jpg
This engine does spike up with a big turbo, but off idle power is higher then our peak. People who call supras dyno queens or track cars are mistaken. I know of very few 800hp cars that get driven to and from the track perform in street races like they do(not that i partake in that )
phil
Old 10-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i voted for the supra,, one of the awsome power houses of the 90s a car that was first never relized what it can do.

for uniqueness a svx

rx7 always been a fan of, but has apex seals that go out

300zx hicas system suxs and has to be removed and working on the car or replacing the turbo"s forget abought it

3000gt vr4,, awsome cars also 320 hp stock but heavy at 3,700 lbs i think
Old 10-12-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
As far as bodw styling, I think that the RX-7 should take it... The curves on that body are just beautiful... Don't get me wrong, the SVX is very beautiful, but the RX-7 just has flowing curves... Very beautiful IMHO.... I would almost like to take one and put a STi motor in it driving the rear wheels .... Rotary just doesn't get me going all that much.... Plus, they got TERRIBLE Gas Mileage!!! I almost bought a 93 Twin Turbo RX-7, until I asked what the mileage was.... The owner said that it got 13mpg in the city and about 18 on the Hiway Don't think I'd get too far on that....
When I still had my Mustang I had a guy with one of the first Gen RX-7s w/ and exhaust rev on me while I was going done the HWY. It sounded like a Dang Sewing machine.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX

Supra TT: Bling bling. You want hp? Here it is. But it's also pretty heavy, and lacks the lightweight/nimbleness of the SVX. Also a bit played out, though I do give it credit.

- Jim

Did he just use Lightweight and SVX in the same sentence, to discribe the SVX no less??
Old 10-12-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
Believe it or not, all the big hp skylines in japan are RWD. Very few are running in AWD. AWD is only advantagous under 60ft, ive been in on and have ridden/driven my share of 800hp supras and believe me, they dont have problems hooking up with the right tire/ street rubber(which anyone with the money to build an 800hp will have) Take for instance your typical c.~800hp supra.
http://to4r.com/media/mani_new_dyno.jpg
This engine does spike up with a big turbo, but off idle power is higher then our peak. People who call supras dyno queens or track cars are mistaken. I know of very few 800hp cars that get driven to and from the track perform in street races like they do(not that i partake in that )
phil
Phil,

While it is true that an 800hp+ Supra could be set up to 'hook' on the street, wheel spin will still be easy to come by. I've known powerhouse Supras to still chirp tires on the 2-3 upshift! (lightly modded Z06's can do this as well)

Some big Hp Skylines are solely RWD, but a good many are still awd. Either way, the ATTESSA awd system used on the R32-34 Skylines transfers 100% of the torque to the rear wheels unless slippage is detected.

-Chike

Old 10-12-2004, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
corect ,, skylines are RWD bias whre there the svx is FWD bias

any one who doesnt pay respect to the supra should get a swift kick in the coconuts !!!! LOL
Old 10-12-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Phil,

While it is true that an 800hp+ Supra could be set up to 'hook' on the street, wheel spin will still be easy to come by. I've known powerhouse Supras to still chirp tires on the 2-3 upshift! (lightly modded Z06's can do this as well)
-Chike
I'm a little confused here. I can get my stock '86 rx-7 with 148hp to chirp the tires going into 3rd. Almost could do it into 4th. Well, my vote went to the rx-7. perfect 50/50 weight, stock for stock can take out c5's, beautiful exterior and comfortable exterior, less moving parts internally, easier to rebuild, and the fact that it uses an exotic powerplant to make it's power.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by majeskyb
I'm a little confused here. I can get my stock '86 rx-7 with 148hp to chirp the tires going into 3rd. Almost could do it into 4th.
Yeah, but the stock tires on an '86 RX-7 are like 195's or 205's? Even the '93-'95 RX-7's have 225 sized rubber...

Stock Supra TT's come with 255 rear tires and Z06's have 295's! Much harder to chip these tires...

-Chike

Old 10-12-2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but the stock tires on an '86 RX-7 are like 195's or 205's? Even the '93-'95 RX-7's have 225 sized rubber...

Stock Supra TT's come with 255 rear tires and Z06's have 295's! Much harder to chip these tires...

-Chike
Actually, the stockers are 185s But I seriously doubt that a car that weighs 3100lbs and has 400+ lbs of torque would have that much trouble spinning them in 3rd. I know of many 3rd gen rx-7 owners that go sideways hitting 2nd, and then leave nice strips of rubber hitting 3rd. Not calling you out or anything, it just seems a little hard to believe that cars with that much power would have that big of a problem (if you want to call having traction a problem ) breaking the rearend loose
Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
corect ,, skylines are RWD bias whre there the svx is FWD bias

OL
Depends on which part of this planet you are in

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954