How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
SEA Sleeper

Question Transmission Filter Part no

Hey guys. I have been tinkering around with my broken tranny for the past week now. I have been looking for a part no for the small inline trans fluid filter located behind the bumper on the driver's side. It's a small black canister and resembles a conventional oil filter. Does anyone know where to get another or what the part # is? I went to NAPA, Schuck's, AND the subaru parts dealer (who seemed compitant but couldnt seem to find the # in his book).

I know someone out there has replaced this thing before

THANKS!
-Elliot
Old 07-14-2004, 07:38 PM

don't know the number for just the filter, but the kit went by part number 31099AA370
Old 07-14-2004, 10:02 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I posted the part number for the legacy kit not too long ago. Filter=$40, Legacy kit including filter=10. Just search for "filter" and my user name and you should find it. Too lazy to search myself.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 AM
red95svx

The filter that comes in that $10 kit is not the same as the $40 filter you mention (which is really closer to $32).

#38325AA032 is a screw on filter that looks just like a small oil filter. The filter that comes in that $10 Legacy kit is more like a fuel filter: it has two metal lines on the top that connect to rubber hoses.

I also had trouble finding the ATF filter for the SVX in my catalogs, if it makes you feel any better. I'm beginning to think that since the filter was an afterthought it just never made it into the catalog.

If your filter is screw on, you can use the 38325AA032. If it's not, you can use the Legacy kit #31099AA091 (the SVX kit is no longer available, but the Legacy kit will work).

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-15-2004 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
The filter that comes in that $10 kit is not the same as the $40 filter you mention (which is really closer to $32).

#38325AA032 is a screw on filter that looks just like a small oil filter. The filter that comes in that $10 Legacy kit is more like a fuel filter: it has two metal lines on the top that connect to rubber hoses.

I also had trouble finding the ATF filter for the SVX in my catalogs, if it makes you feel any better. I'm beginning to think that since the filter was an afterthought it just never made it into the catalog.

If your filter is screw on, you can use the 38325AA032. If it's not, you can use the Legacy kit #31099AA091 (the SVX kit is no longer available, but the Legacy kit will work).

Dave
Dave,

My car had the fuel-type filter in place when I bought it (same as the Legacy kit I just purchased). Are you saying that the original "campaign" filter is a screw-on? I'd wondered about the price disparity, and whether Subaru added an "SVX premium" to OE parts.

Before I even bought my car, I got a quote of $50 for a replacement filter from another online source.

thanks,
dcb
Old 07-15-2004, 08:21 AM
red95svx

No, the original campaign filter is the fuel filter type. Eventually Subaru went to the screw on type of filter they use now.

As for pricing, keep in mind that these kits are old. What once was $50 may now only be $10 because of age, and the fact that the campaign cars these kits were designed for have all been taken car off (in theory). All campaign cars have kits added=no demand for kits=cheap price. The internet site could have quoted you on the screw on filter and added on a little extra to the price...who knows?

Also, the kit for the SVX was not identical to the Legacy kit, making for a variation in price. And lets not forget that there were FAR more Legacys made than SVX's....which makes SVX parts more expensive due to small production runs of parts that are different from any other Subaru!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-15-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
And lets not forget that there were FAR more Legacys made than SVX's....which makes SVX parts more expensive due to small production runs of parts that are different from any other Subaru!
Of course. What I should have written in my previous post was, the apparent Legacy/SVX disparity caused me to wondered if Subaru adds an "SVX premium" to identical OE parts.

Thanks for your help.

dcb
Old 07-15-2004, 11:53 AM
red95svx

I see now.

It's possible. I have heard mention of clips, nuts, bolts...etc. that looked identical for the Legcay/SVX, but were more expensive for the SVX. Could the SVX clip/nut/bolt be better somehow and that's why it cost more? Maybe. Could it be that they ARE indentical and Subaru just wants more money so they give them different part numbers and packaging? Maybe. But if that were the case, why didn't they give the SVX air filter a different number from the Legacy and charge more? Why didn't they give the SVX fuel filter a different number and charge more? How about the PCV valve, coolant temp sensor, or knock sensors? Seems to me if you wanted to charge more for the same part, you'd do it on items that were replaced on a regular basis....not some odd-ball interior trim clip or bumper bolt!

Dave
Old 07-15-2004, 04:07 PM
SEA Sleeper

Talking THANK YOU ALL

I am actually going with a B&M Transmission filter kit. They run Less than $40 and you can purchase extra filters as well. I found it on the JEG's performance website.

I appreciate all of the info! Lee, that part no for the kit told me why I was having such a hard time finding that filter. They only sold the kit which is now dicontinued... Sounds like I have some other options now. However, I am installing a Small cooler w/ fan, temp gauge and a new filter system which has 50K mi. replacement filters available.

Thank all of you and have fun cruisin!

..BTW the local subaru shop just informed me that my tranny is fried... looking at options now. 5MT is out of my budget and SmallCar Performance's warranty is better than nothing, that's all I'll say about that. Most of the other quotes I've gotten include either 1 yr unlimited mileage or 3 yr 36K warranties.

Anyone know the going rate for a remanufactured 4EAT?