How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-18-2001, 12:56 PM
0260N4

Steering Wheel Tilt Angle

Hello again all I have another question. I test drove 2 SVX's in the last few days and on both the steering wheel was so low down that it almost pinned my legs, even with the seat all the way down. As far as I could tell the tilt adjustment only had two positions, down and up (which was way too high). I am not a big guy (5'7") but I dont know how you tell people do it. Is there an adjustments somewhere that I missed? Thanks

0260N4
Old 10-18-2001, 01:02 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
yep, there's a lever right in the middle of the lower side of the steering column that will allow you to set the lowest position for the wheel. You may to feel about a bit to find it, but it's there. Once it's set to your desired position, the one of the left side lets you raise the wheel to get out. The lever is in kind of a slot on the bottom of the column.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
yep, there's a lever right in the middle of the lower side of the steering column that will allow you to set the lowest position for the wheel. You may to feel about a bit to find it, but it's there. Once it's set to your desired position, the one of the left side lets you raise the wheel to get out. The lever is in kind of a slot on the bottom of the column.
The important part to note there is that there are two levers. The big one on the left side of the column raises the wheel to its highest position (but does not lock it there) only to make entry and egress easier. Pulling down on the wheel will put it back to its set position and lock it there.

Before I bought the SVX I drove many used Subarus. MANY of the owners told me 'now, I'll be honest with you, there's one annoying problem with the car - the steering wheel tilt can't be set - it just falls back down.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-18-2001, 01:32 PM
Lowered SVX

yeah it took me awhile to find that ....

hidden lever under the steering wheel. the steering wheel has more adjustment capability than any car i have ever driven. my wife's gti has a horrible adjustment. Plus it does not telescope.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 10-18-2001, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Use this to your advantage!

I used the salesmans lack of understanding about this feature that was "obviously broken" to reduce my purchase price. Sometimes I can be a little devious . It scared the used car guy that something was broken on this oddball car and he might lose the sale.

I don't feel bad about as I'm in sales myself. If you don't understand the product, how can you sell it??? Must be the engineer in me coming to the surface.

Good luck with your hunting.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:51 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Use this to your advantage!

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I used the salesmans lack of understanding about this feature that was "obviously broken" to reduce my purchase price. Sometimes I can be a little devious . It scared the used car guy that something was broken on this oddball car and he might lose the sale.

I don't feel bad about as I'm in sales myself. If you don't understand the product, how can you sell it??? Must be the engineer in me coming to the surface.

Good luck with your hunting.

I've been thinking about putting a few things together, like the steering wheel "memory" lever . . . the telescopeing lever and "lift" lever along with the "bright" button and "big rubber band in the glovebox" as a kind of "interesting facts" list to go into the "How-to" locker. These, would obviously be for those who have *lost their manuals.* I'd also put information on how to obtain a free owner's manual from Subaru (although, didn't someone say they were out of 92 manuals?) Can anyone think of others?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-18-2001, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

1) Inside the trunk lock lever
2) Button on the end of the stalk for brightening display
3) Snow position for wipers

Three that came to mind quickly.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
1) Inside the trunk lock lever Good one.
2) Button on the end of the stalk for brightening display Yeah, that's the "bright button" I was talking about.
3) Snow position for wipers 'nother good one.

Thanks! On the "lock lever" deal, not only the one that locks the seats, but the one that locks the trunk so the trunk release lever doesn't work. I talked to a guy who said his dealer wanted 90 bucks just to diagnose why his trunk release lever wasn't working. I told him where the lever was, and sure enough, it had been accidently tripped --- I'm guessing the dealership KNEW what was wrong and smelled "easy money." That's a GUESS, mind you, but, that's why I have a BIG problem taking my car to dealers.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 10-18-2001 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:43 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Re: Re: Use this to your advantage!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

and "big rubber band in the glovebox"
Big rubber band in the glovebox?? Please explain.
Also dont forget about the hidden allen wrench in the bottom of the center console for the '92-93 manual seat belt manual overides, and the sunroof!

Chris

PS -- I got my laptop back finally!!! Now I can be more active on the board now! Well, minus the fact that this weekend is the Holloween Classic at the track.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Use this to your advantage!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris

Big rubber band in the glovebox?? Please explain.
Also dont forget about the hidden allen wrench in the bottom of the center console for the '92-93 manual seat belt manual overides, and the sunroof!

Chris

PS -- I got my laptop back finally!!! Now I can be more active on the board now! Well, minus the fact that this weekend is the Holloween Classic at the track.

If you open your glovebox, all the way to the back, there's a large elastic band. It's to hold your "Orignal SVX Folder with Manual" for easy access (and keep it from gettin glost in the other junk you throw in there).

There should actually be TWO allen wrenches: one in the "hidden compartment" at the bottom of the console, and one in the glovebox (according to the owner's manual). The one in the glovebox is supposed to be for the sunroof, the one in the "hidden compeartment" is for the seatbelts.

Congratulations on getting your laptop back. Look forward to seeing you back in full force. As for this weekend, I probably won't be posting much either (don't faint folks). I'll be enjoying the company of SVXers in Canaan Valley Resort, WV.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-18-2001, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Other stuff

Randy,
How about the passenger side under-the-seat bin and from painful personal experience (for both of us) the fuse which disables AWD on the vehicles so equipped. Along with that, notes on towing only on flatbeds (the reason for multiple transmission failures on our '92).
Old 10-18-2001, 08:37 PM
0260N4

THANKS!!!

I dont know what I would do without all you helpful guys! I'd be lost with half the features. Maybe I'll go to that 10th anniversery meet and actually meet some of you people. Heck I might even find an SVX by then <g>.

0260N4

-Scott
Old 10-19-2001, 03:44 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
things i didnt know!

eh? must find easter eggs...

>Also dont forget about the hidden allen wrench in the bottom of >the center console for the '92-93 manual seat belt manual >overides, and the sunroof!
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 10-19-2001, 07:40 AM

Quote:
1) Inside the trunk lock lever
2) Button on the end of the stalk for brightening display
3) Snow position for wipers

Here's One that maybe many of you haven't really noticed After 3 years my wife noticed the windshield wipers, in the delay position, automatically speeds and slows to the speed of the car. Most noticable when coming to a stop. Next time it rains give it a try, but you gotta be quick So, #4 Speed sensing wipers.

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 10-19-2001, 07:46 AM
Lowered SVX

i have actually noticed the wiper thing.

at first i thought something was wrong but eventually you put two and two togther!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"