Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Brake Service Cost

I called Just Brakes and they said four wheel disc service would cost $99.88.

This includes replacing brake pads, machinig rotors if needed and the other stuff that doesn't cost them anything.

Does this seem like a good price? Even though I told them it was a '92 Subaru SVX do you think they'll ask for more when I go in?

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 12-31-2003, 02:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
First off, it all costs them something.

But $100 sounds like a pretty fair price for a front brake job.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-31-2003, 02:24 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
100 for all four sounds amazing.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:25 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Yeah, but he said it was $85 for just the front. $99.88 is for ALL FOUR, which makes me suspicious. I don't want to walk in and get charged more than he quoted me.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 12-31-2003, 02:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Somehow I didn't notice that you said it was for all four wheels. Rear pads require replacement far less often than fronts, so I would make sure that they're really going to replace the pads and not just 'inspect' the rears.

I would suspect any place which tried to sell me a $100 four-wheel brake job. But then I've seen sloppy brake jobs which leave the calipers dragging after two months...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 PM
Palm Springs of Washington
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I recently (within 2 weeks) had a dealer estimate for $650 to replace 1 rear disc/pads and rebuild caliper slide. It might have been to do both rears, but it was high enough that I choked on it. If you can get someone to do the fronts for $100 and do a good job, then that is amazing. If I were to remove my 2 front discs and have them turned, it would cost about $25-30 per disc for the turning, $50 for pbr metal master discs, and I would have done the labor myself. In my case, I have seen the $100 brake job turn in to a $400 job, when they get in there, it always seems that they find "more" to do than what is quoted in the $100 special. Since most people are hesitant to tell a shop to stop after the car is dissassembled, they have you over a barrel once the car is on the hoist. Have you had a second estimate anywhere else? If you have knowledge that this shop does good work, go for it, but don't be surprised if........
Maybe I am too cynical for my own good, but you gotta go with your history.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 AM
mark10t

$100 is definitely a good deal if that will include all four corners, but........

My main concern would be the fact that you will get 'stuck' with aftermarket brake pads. Many of us on this forum that have tried both factory and aftermarket pads have sworn to never again deviate from the OEM pads. I don't know what they do different, but I've had all kinds of squealing problems with the aftermarket pads. I even went so far one time of taking off a brand-new aftermarket set of pads I installed and replacing them with factory pads because I couldn't stand the noise, etc.

My 2 cents.

See what they charge if you supply the pads (get them from subaruparts.com for some of the best costs.) I do it myself- it's a pretty easy job to do. I have a local machine shop turn the rotors for about $25/pr.

-Mark
Old 01-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
$100 is definitely a good deal if that will include all four corners, but........

My main concern would be the fact that you will get 'stuck' with aftermarket brake pads. Many of us on this forum that have tried both factory and aftermarket pads have sworn to never again deviate from the OEM pads. I don't know what they do different, but I've had all kinds of squealing problems with the aftermarket pads. I even went so far one time of taking off a brand-new aftermarket set of pads I installed and replacing them with factory pads because I couldn't stand the noise, etc.

My 2 cents.

See what they charge if you supply the pads (get them from subaruparts.com for some of the best costs.) I do it myself- it's a pretty easy job to do. I have a local machine shop turn the rotors for about $25/pr.

-Mark
Strange, I have EBC Greenstuff and you would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to OEM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 01-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Brake Service Cost

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000
I called Just Brakes and they said four wheel disc service would cost $99.88.

This includes replacing brake pads, machinig rotors if needed and the other stuff that doesn't cost them anything.

Does this seem like a good price? Even though I told them it was a '92 Subaru SVX do you think they'll ask for more when I go in?
This pricing is way too low to be real. Once you get in (with the car disassembled on the lift) , I predict the price will go up exponentially and they will find many more problems (rotors being too thin to cut, piston seals torn - they'll try and sell you new calipers, etc, etc, etc......). They'll say the car is rare and parts are more expensive than they expected.

Todd
Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Strange, I have EBC Greenstuff and you would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to OEM
Same here, well, kind fo the same. My car had the Greenstuffs on it when I bought it. They had about 6k on them when I bought the car and I've put about 12k on them. Had a minor squeel problem because of the brake shims, but is fixed now. I'll definately be getting another set of Greenstuffs when these are done, which probably will be a long while from now.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300