Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Crash

I love snow!!!

I had my first snow experience in the svx. I am sure it would do better with different tires but I am not complaining. Several people on the network seem disappointed in the snow handling. Quit your complaining--embrace the squirreliness. Tell me it is not fun. And it is the only time you won't feel guilty doing awd doughnuts. Besides once you get the feeling down It really is a lot better. But remember it doesn't help when you are on the brakes.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I was never disappointed in the SVX's capabilities in snow. I think that the only thing my old Toyota 4x4 had over it was ground clearance. Other than that, the SVX beats it hands-down. I hung the SVX up in some real deep snow once. It took me maybe thirty seconds to dig it out with my bare hands. Gloved hands. Whatever.

Anyway, it's a fantastic car in the snow. Snow is difficult for any car to handle, so anybody complaining was probably expecting dry-weather traction and stopping.

As for the AWD not helping while braking, tell that to the CR-V owners group I recently joined (for some help with my mom's CR-V). Some of them put their cars in neutral while stopping in snow. That way, they claim, the car isn't putting the 'power' to the rear wheels.

Just what 'power' they think is being transferred under braking is beyond me.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Hater

i think its great in the snow, unless the snow is higher than your bumper.
its great not having to shovel out the driveway with two Subarus in the family. no problems here, and i didn't even get around to putting my snow tires on yet.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-15-2003, 05:40 PM

Talking Funny you mention that

Yea I dont know where that old rumor got started. Appently if you throw your car in neutrel it magicly dose 1 of two things. Either what you mentioned about the driving force or it opens up a magical proporioning valve that allows the all 4 wheels to grip more evenly I cant believe that People, even me at one, time thanks to my dad, believe this stuff.
And yesterday I was subjected to this old tale in a real life experiment that almost was life ending. My father decided to throw his Outback Sport in neutral going down a steep, realy steep, snow covered road leaving my Xes house after visiting my son. I thoght I was gona have to change my skivies as we slid uncontrolably DOWN,DOwn,Down,down about 100 yards. Trees on both sides 1 1/2 lanes if that wide and a nice dropoff on 1 side half way down. As I riped on the ebrake at the end and jerked on the stearing left at the bottom to make the turn, I asked "So you think that was pretty even braking huh...................... " I know that it would have had the same braking in whatever gear but his answer was"Ita been a lot worse if I hadent put it in Neutral" Gota Love Pops ALWAYS RIGHT but we sure could have used some of that engine braking that we coulda got in low gear oh well his car.

Last edited by The Hunter; 12-15-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Shot king

All this snow we've been gettin lately makes me miss the Loyale . So far i've been scared to death of the Svx in the snow it has'nt gotten me into any trouble yet but i have'nt broke 25 mph in it either. Since my other vehicle is down i was forced to drive it to work this mornin. The roads were still snow covered and it did well. One of these nites i'll get rid of the chicken feathers and see what it can actually until then i'll just keep the traffic flow slowed down. Gotta make sure everyones safe.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:53 AM
DearPrudence

Talking

We had plenty o'snow here in the SLC this morning & I thoroughly enjoyed putting my SVX through its paces. I just about gave my roomie a heart attack when I "tested" my ABS, though. Her car doesn't have it, so she was convinced that we would crash & die. Obviously, we did not. My only complaint is that it took about a millisecond too long for the ABS to kick in, so there was a moment of "oops, shouldn'ta done that" but then it was all good

Haven't noticed much difference with the AWD, though. I've had 3 Grand Ams - you can laugh all you want. Those wimpy little babies were GREAT in the snow!!!!

Be safe, everyone!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence
Haven't noticed much difference with the AWD, though. I've had 3 Grand Ams - you can laugh all you want. Those wimpy little babies were GREAT in the snow!!!!

Be safe, everyone!
Wait till it gets thicker and ya only see trucks out on the roads... Then how many Grand am's will ya see.... I actually used my SVX about two years to pull a Toyota Tacoma outta a ditch when there was a crap loaad of snow... It did great, the owner of the Tacoma was just shocked that a sports car pulled him outta the ditch... He thought it should have been the other way around...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM

psssssttt, hey Chris....it is thief...thieves...<<<<

Future Mods(within 6 months) - Koni/GroundControl Suspension, Scorpion Car Alarm, Flame throwers under the doors, Deadly snakes in the floor boards to steer off potential car >>theifs<<...

sorry babes, just had to bring that to your attention!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:12 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Wait till it gets thicker and ya only see trucks out on the roads... Then how many Grand am's will ya see....
Probably many many many on the side of the road. hehe... I never had to drive my Grand Am in such conditions, though. I like to think that my extraordinary driving skills have something to do with how well my Grand Am did

Quote:
I actually used my SVX about two years to pull a Toyota Tacoma outta a ditch when there was a crap loaad of snow...
Ooh, I wanna try that... now I just hafta to keep an eye out for vehicles stuck in the snow...
Old 12-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Shot king

Quote:
Ooh, I wanna try that... now I just hafta to keep an eye out for vehicles stuck in the snow...
Hang out at an auto dealer and wait for someone to get there first 4 wheel drive. Next snowstorm when they think there invinsible And there ya go someone to tow out.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
My dad lives on a dirt road covered in snow all winter. I didn't think I was invincible but I literaly could not stay on the road. I got ditched like five times that weekend. That was before I found out my tranny was dying and i only had 2wd working. I also had ultra high performance tires. Note: Yokohama AVS ES100s SUCK on snow.

BTW, my dad wants to get me some all-season tires.
The Falken Ziex ZE 512 was rated best performance all-season tire by consumer reports.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg falhh3.xl.jpg (143.5 KB, 137 views)

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 12-17-2003, 03:07 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000
BTW, my dad wants to get me some all-season tires.
The Falken Ziex ZE 512 was rated best performance all-season tire by consumer reports.

What do you think?
We have those tyres on our SVX. I like them a lot. Haven't tried them on snow yet though. Hope we get some this year.

Phil & Belha.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence I've had 3 Grand Ams - you can laugh all you want. Those wimpy little babies were GREAT in the snow!!!![/B]
Gee...there's something you don't see every day...a chick behind the wheel of a GrandAm. <ducking>

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Pearlywhites1992

Haven't tried them on snow yet though.

Anyone have Dunlop Graspics out there? I'm looking for
a good cheap snowtire, to mount on my old stock rims.
I'd want 205's and not 225's right? The skinnier the better!
here's a picture of my car in the snow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowcar.jpg (425.3 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-17-2003, 10:32 AM
mark10t

Tires make ALL the difference. I've got Pirelli Winter Ice Asymetrico's on mine and the traction and control is super. I got a super clearance blowout deal at 1010TIRES.com last year for about $65./tire after not finding any kind of a good 'deal' on Blizzak's. My only regret is that they didn't have them in a 205/55-15, they only had our 'stock' size of 225/50-16. I can't complain considering what I paid. (For a winter tire, they are amazingly quiet, too.)

The only thing I've driven 'better' in the snow was probably my '85 Subaru Turbo RX. (I had both an '85 and an '87) The '85 had the 'on-demand' (part-time) all-wheel drive (so it had a 'locked' diff front to rear- NO slippage) (including a low-range!) and the '87 had full-time all-wheel drive. My '91 Legacy Turbo Sport Sedan was a lot of fun, though, too.

For 2-wheel drive in the snow, nothing could beat my VW Baja Bug I built with a 110 HP Corvair engine stuffed in the rear!!

-Mark