Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
XQsThaiPoes

Why is it so heavy?

Hi first post.

I am saving up for a project car. The only problem I have with buying an SVX is weight. Why is it so heavy, and what parts of the car are heaviest?

Is it possible to cut, and extend the front clip so you can install a beefy turbo system and intercooler? It seems that from the headlights forward can be moved a few inches with out wrecking the styling. Is this the only way to go?
Old 11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

It was not designed with reduced mass as a concern

The SVX was designed with a lot of glass, significant amounts of rustproofing, the largest engine FHI had ever produced, a wide variety of expensive and heavy options (power seats, sunroof, telecoping steering column), upgraded brake calipers and rotors, a heavy, quiet exhaust system; etc, etc, etc......

It was not intneded to be a lightweight, they had the Impreza and Legacy in that roll. It was intended to be a quiet, comfortable grand touring car.

As far as heavy parts/heavy car, if you want a lightweight project car, you'd probably be doing yourself a disservice by starting with an SVX.

Is it possible to cut and extend the front end for a turbo system? With enough $$$ anything is possible. I think you'd have a difficult time re-integrating the body to make a cohesive design, but it's your car and your money so give it a shot.

Todd
Old 11-14-2003, 10:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm going to agree with Todd - if you're looking for a 'project' car, I don't think the SVX is for you. There is very little in the way of aftermarket support for the car. Yeah, sure, with enough creativity and/or money, anything's possible. But it'll take a lot of both.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Green1995SVX

I agree with the guys on this one. Unless you've got a ton of money you're wanting to sink into this project, the svx really isn't going to prove to be the best project car.

Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
alacrity024

i may stand alone here, but i think that the svx is a great candidate for some pretty serious work. true enough, it was intended to be a heavy, comfortable cruiser, but i think with enough time, money and energy, it could hold its own on a racetrack against ///M3's and the like. the engine is tremendously flexible, the body is super smooth, and if you're able to think outside the box, the rest of the car will follow.

be aware that if you take this on, you'll be one of the only ones doing so. this isn't going to be a simple bolt-on project like you could do with a supra or rx7.. but i think that it'll be well worth it.. after all, there's something to be said for originality..

-adam
Old 11-14-2003, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Im still determined to find someplace for a turbo without altering the body. I think not having the ABS system on my car is a possibility. It leaves a large hole on the passinger side infront of the intake. Of course that also means no all-wheel-drive (yet).
Old 11-14-2003, 11:42 AM
XQsThaiPoes

I noticed not a lot of after market support, but now days that means no APC tail lights and no Blackwidow body kit. . The car reminds me of a Cadillac Seville except for gold plated everything, purple fur interior, and 22 inch Dayton wheels it does not have a lot of after market support ether.
---
I assumed most of the weight was from glass and awd. What I like is the already strong engine.
---
Hey will the STI 6-speed bolt on? An STI will be wrecked by some one, and if not Subaru still has to sell transmissions/diffs for a pretty long time. I am not made of money yet, but the whole point of this is to do stuff my self.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
I think not having the ABS system on my car is a possibility. Of course that also means no all-wheel-drive (yet).
Huh???

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-14-2003, 12:38 PM

I think someone is either trying to or already has tryed a 6-speed from a WRX. I dont know what the results were.

I have a 94 L they ame in FWD and didnt have ABS. The ABS system is mounted infront of the Air filter box. The model without ABS just has an open area there thats about 1ft x 1ft. A turbo would fit there, however bending the exhaust piping around to it would be interesting to say the least. The intake shouldnt be hard though.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:57 PM

Registered SVX
Ah, okay. You could decrease the number of pipes you'd have to put right there if you used a cetrifugal supercharger instead of a turbo.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 11-14-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Adam, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done, but if a lightweight vehicle is one of your goals (as the poster stated) there are better platforms then the SVX to start with.

The best way of doing this with an SVX would be to strip it to the bare shell and have it acid dipped to remove the undercoating, paint, sound-deadening stuff, etc. Then re-install only the bare necessities for your intended usage. Expensive, you bet. Exclusive too.

Todd
Old 11-14-2003, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Ah, okay. You could decrease the number of pipes you'd have to put right there if you used a cetrifugal supercharger instead of a turbo.
Thought about that too. I havnt looked into it yet though.

I know if you want a light weight/fast Suby. Put an EG33 in the rear of a Justy. That would be an interesting engineering feat.

Or better yet in the back of a Brat Kinda like they do in monster trucks. A mini-monster Brat........
Old 11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
I believe someone successfully put a JDM STi 6-spd in their car.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 11-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Yup

It was alex_umn. He converted his to 5 speed then swapped in a JDM 6 speed he picked up in St. Louis form Axis Power Racing (love that name, they specialize in German, Japanes and Italian cars!)

Todd
Old 11-14-2003, 02:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg

Thought about that too. I havnt looked into it yet though.

I know if you want a light weight/fast Suby. Put an EG33 in the rear of a Justy. That would be an interesting engineering feat.

Or better yet in the back of a Brat Kinda like they do in monster trucks. A mini-monster Brat........
I've thought about a mid-engined EJ22 turbo Justy. But I haven't even learned how to weld yet, so that project is a little beyond my abilities right now.

I've also thought about a rear-engined EJ22 turbo Justy with AWD. That'd be pretty slick - basically a turbo Legacy drivetrain, mounted backwards in the car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE