SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 4.44 Swap Finished; Complete with horrible problematic sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Entry View Post
So, I removed the TQ to Flexplate bolts.
An important note about seating the TQ fully. I know that I got the TQ seated all the way before I began installation.

The easiest way to tell for me is that the teeth on the TQ only clear the bell housing by like 1/8 of an inch.

It is common for the TQ to move while raising and shifting the transmission to hang it on the engine. This happened to me.
But, I did get the TQ back to fully seated, and I cite this as my evidence:
When the transmission and engine are mated (bellhousing to engine block, no gaps) and the torque converter still engaged into the front pump, there will be a small gap between the torque converter and the flex plate (you should be able to freely spin the torque converter with the engine/transmission bolted up tight)
I had a gap between my TQ and the flexplate, and the TQ freely spun.
Bolting the flex plate to the torque converter actually draws the torque converter out of the transmission (about 1/4") and completes the mechanical attatchment.
This was the case for me.

So. I think I had the TQ fully seated.
You can recheck all this if you want to. Just mate the tranny again with the engine and leave the TC bolts off.

Tapani
Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
You can recheck all this if you want to. Just mate the tranny again with the engine and leave the TC bolts off.

Tapani
I certainly will be checking this again when putting it back together. Hoping to get under it tomorrow.

But in a certain sense I already checked it before I slid the trans back.
After removing the flexplate bolts, the TC easily slid back the ~1/4 inch away from the flexplate.
This created that gap again between the TC and the flexplate.
(This video shows the gap, before I took anything else apart again. Note: it might look/sound like I am forcing the prybar in there, but I am just struggling to get the right angle)

So I will measure the distances, and I will see if I can get the TC to move to an ever deeper seated position.

But, even if I could get the TC to seat deeper, it will ultimately be made to move forward toward the motor again when I reinstall the flexplate to TC bolts.

So I don't understand how seating the TC deeper could help.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Which torque converter and input shaft did you use? I noticed in your picture of the outback converter that it is the larger converter like the SVX converter with 2" lugs. I've never had one in my hands but I think I remember seeing in the torque converter catalog that there is a converter like that with a different # of splines on the turbine and input shaft.

Maybe if it turns out the groove on the outside of the converter case was pre-existing consider the possibility that the input shaft doesn't match the turbine in the converter and is pushing the turbine into the stator destroying the converter and making a grinding noise with the engine running but the case/impeller is properly engaged in the pump rotor so that the case turns smoothly when you turn it by hand?

I'm not saying that's it..I'm just throwing it out there because I remember something about there being a converter that looks like the SVX converter with the larger diameter and larger lugs that uses a different input shaft.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Which torque converter and input shaft did you use? I noticed in your picture of the outback converter that it is the larger converter like the SVX converter with 2" lugs. I've never had one in my hands but I think I remember seeing in the torque converter catalog that there is a converter like that with a different # of splines on the turbine and input shaft.

Maybe if it turns out the groove on the outside of the converter case was pre-existing consider the possibility that the input shaft doesn't match the turbine in the converter and is pushing the turbine into the stator destroying the converter and making a grinding noise with the engine running but the case/impeller is properly engaged in the pump rotor so that the case turns smoothly when you turn it by hand?

I'm not saying that's it..I'm just throwing it out there because I remember something about there being a converter that looks like the SVX converter with the larger diameter and larger lugs that uses a different input shaft.
I used the SVX torque converter. And I used the SVX input shaft.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
That is one longassquestion!

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM

I have seen some weird things on cars, but the sound in your video sounds like a bad bearing. I would disconnect your drive belts to try an eliminate any sounds from rotational objects. If you have an aluminum bat lying around it makes for an awesome stethoscope.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by edren1 View Post
I have seen some weird things on cars, but the sound in your video sounds like a bad bearing. I would disconnect your drive belts to try an eliminate any sounds from rotational objects. If you have an aluminum bat lying around it makes for an awesome stethoscope.
Beating stick!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link