Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-24-2001, 10:44 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
WRX on Speedvision

Did anyone catch the program on the WRX rally cars yesterday? Perhaps it has been on before, and I didn't catch it. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-24-2001, 01:17 PM
joeaux

Yep. Cool machines, huh? You realize that the ones that they were talking about that run in the ProRally series here in the U.S. aren't the same as the WRC machines that run in Europe? The ones done for the WRC cost about $500,000 a piece! If you've never seen the WRC, then check it out. Awesome. Ford is in the lead right now with Subaru on their butts. Burns can drive the sh*t out of Subee. If you need the schedule, it on the Speedvision site. I still am dying for a WRX. Need one bad. Within a year os so I hope (a Red WRX would look real good next to my Red SVX).
-joe-
Old 06-24-2001, 07:58 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Rally 'round the WRX

<The ones done for the WRC cost about $500,000 a piece!>

Did you see the Cyprus rally? One of those Subarus caught fire and TOTALLY burned up! (not Burns' car) Yes the ones they race over here seem to be very close to stock, if I understood the program correctly.

The thing that gets me...and it makes it hard to watch those rallys...is the SPECTATORS! One error entering a corner, and a car could wipe out 50 people.
I heard somewhere, that after a rally last year, one of the cars completed the stage just to find someone's FINGER caught in the rear spoiler......

....I guess everything is digital now. Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-25-2001, 01:55 PM
joeaux

Yea man! That WRC Subee burnt plum up (as they say down here in Florida). And it did it quickly! The driver said it happened so fast they didn't have time to get their maps and stuff out. Oh well. And yes, you're right. The rally spectators are nuts! They stand out in the road and only move just before the cars get there! Crazy, crazy. Guess they want the best view.
-joe-
Old 06-25-2001, 01:57 PM
joeaux

Oh man, I just caught the 'digital' thing at the end of your post. A finger caught in the car. To close for comfort.
-joe-
Old 06-26-2001, 03:33 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Watch out for that...SPLAT!....spectator

I think the rally in Portugal was the wildest. Cars would scream sideways around a turn and there were...people...EVERYWHERE! They parted in front of the car like Moses parting the Red Sea....maybe 50 or 60 ft. ahead of the car...but at the speed the car was traveling, that was just barely out of the way. One mistake, and any of those cars would have plowed into dozens, maybe a hundred, people. I am really surprised that the drivers agree to take such risks. Risking your own life is one thing...all those people is something else. We put our people behind fences and concrete and still lose folks to flying debris. One of these days they will have a disaster in rallying similar to the crash at LeMans that killed 70 or 80 spectators. There are places to get close to the action without becoming PART of the action.... Don