Send a message via ICQ to Kiss Me Deadly
Registered SVX
Failed to start

I cant start my SVX.. Here whats going on:
-Starter is ok
-Fuel pump is ok
-MAF connector is ok
-Fuel level is ok
-Battery is ok (not now after many attempts)
-All belts are ok
-Seсurity system is ok

When i turn the key to the start position, starter spining the flywheel, but engine cannot start. All the time when ignition is on, both fans are working (despite the engine is cold after standing idle for twenty-four hours) - thats why i think the coolant temperature sensor must be replaced

And more - i have a bad connector on this sensor (knock sensor?)

But when i plug into it two wires straight, nothings happened.
Two months ago i stuck in the road considering this connector, i was not able to start the engine before i firmly fix the wires, but after i fixed it, everything were ok. But not today... Maybe i need to replace this sensor too?

Both (coolant temperature and sensor on the picture) are interchangeable with Legacy Outback (or every Subaru with EJ22 and EJ20 engine), right?

Thanks for advices!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Failed to start

The picture you have below is the camshaft sensor.

Your assumption seems correct in that there is an issue with the coolant temp sensor. It is turning the fans on because it is "reading" a hot coolant condition and therefor the ECU is not giving the proper mixture of fuel for it to start.

The camshaft sensor is not directly replaceable with one from a legacy, but if you get a legacy sensor, and a few inches of wiring with the connector, you can splice it in and it will work. I am not sure on the coolant temp sensor. I know here those are only $20 as opposed to a cam sensor being about $150.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks Nate, i`ve fixed it! Just replaced coolant temperature sensor with new one.

But now i have 16 Power light blinks after starting the engine.. A little bit strange because i didnt drive a car since my last trip 2 days ago when everything was ok
how can i reset previous TCU code? Car was standing idle without battery last night
Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Me Deadly View Post
Thanks Nate, i`ve fixed it! Just replaced coolant temperature sensor with new one.

But now i have 16 Power light blinks after starting the engine.. A little bit strange because i didnt drive a car since my last trip 2 days ago when everything was ok
how can i reset previous TCU code? Car was standing idle without battery last night
Try checking the TCU codes as outlined in the following procedure. I'm not 100% how it works since you have a Euro market car, I assume with an "Econ" button instead of "manual"?
Harvey (Oab Au) will know best if this procedure will work on your car for checking the transmission codes.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54004
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Registered SVX

I own USDM 1995 LSi, so the procedure is the same like on link, i`ll check codes few hours later
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Registered SVX

i did a check. when i check for EXISTING codes, power light flashed infinitely. when i check for previous codes, it show me code 25.
after few attempts to check, power light didnt blink anymore after start, so there is no existing code in tcu. But now i have a new big problem - car hiccup after 2000rpm, and i cant raise rpms more than 2500 like i have craps in air intake on turbo engine. i have a QC, but i didnt touch wiring and resistor behind battery

heeeelp..
i remember yesterday, when i tried to start engine (about 20 attempts) the power ligh started to blink in the middle of process
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Me Deadly View Post
i did a check. when i check for EXISTING codes, power light flashed infinitely. when i check for previous codes, it show me code 25.
after few attempts to check, power light didnt blink anymore after start, so there is no existing code in tcu. But now i have a new big problem - car hiccup after 2000rpm, and i cant raise rpms more than 2500 like i have craps in air intake on turbo engine. i have a QC, but i didnt touch wiring and resistor behind battery

heeeelp..
i remember yesterday, when i tried to start engine (about 20 attempts) the power ligh started to blink in the middle of process
Based on your previous cam sensor wiring issues and these symptoms, I will tentatively suggest double checking your cam sensor. When I had one with the cam sensor starting to fail, it would have similar issues.
Will the car stay idling or will it die after a few seconds idling in park? Try unplugging the MAF and see if you are then able to rev the engine normally.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX

i remember when i unplugged MAF the car die as soon as i take off the connector
how to check cam sensor? measure resistance or how?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX

i've solved the problem! it was not in QC, it was in me) i've entangled wires between themselfes when making a connector to cam sensor. the car starts in any position of the connector, but runs good only in one