How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM
The Molinator

Engine mount Squeaking.. ??

I have a creaking sound .. when I accelerate from a stop .. turning either right or left.. FOR 2 TO 3 YEARS NOW!

No one was able to help me locate this noise here.. ? It got better after I replaced my driveshaft center bearing AND later C-clip U-joint replacements for that driveshaft.. but never went away.. seems worse lately.. again.

Could this noise be from engine mount failure??? It seems like metal against metal .. creaking .. like high-torqued bolts holding metal parts together very tightly .. loosening enough to create a metal to metal CrEaK!?

I decided to replace the mounts out of frustration.. until I saw the price! Yikes!

HeLp!?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Is there a way to specifically diagnose engine mount failure?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 05-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine mount Squeaking.. ??

if your engine mounts are bad then you can probably duplicate the noise if you watch your engine as someone power brakes in gear or just shifts from r to d. if it flops around your mounts are bad.

sounds to me like a bad control arm bushing making noise as the suspension travels up and down. you could hose em all down with wd40 and see if it goes away.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM
The Molinator

Are you talking about the lower A-arm ("control arm) bushing"? It's not replaceable.. is it? Looks like you have to buy the whole lower arm (with bushings) .. for $290 each!

Do I have someone drive the car.. at .. what? .. about 40mph .. with me watching the engine - hood up! .. THEN HE BRAKES, WHILE I WATCH FOR ENGINE MOVEMENT.. ??? [I guess I'm more senile than I thot! ]

I DO notice a clunk into gears sometimes when I start to accelerate, but then let off .. Clunks when shifting! I don't know if thats normal for me.. cuz I have the EcuTune TCU MOD unit.. . Does the constant increased pressure result in a too strong (clunk) shift .. at lower speeds/rpm's .. ??

I thot the creaking noise was maybe some tight metal parts (80+ ft-lbs) that were sliding very little.. while still held very tightly.. causing a metallic creaking sound.. ?? Like subframe to frame.. or some such high-stress-bearing components? But haven't found any such thing.. . Hmmm?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Hose .. the 4 front (lower arm) bushings .. with WD40?

P.P.S. Can the bushings be replaced? Aftermarket somehow? [Like my C-Clip U-Joints I put on the driveshaft.. ??]
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 05-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
C-Clip U-Joints I put on the driveshaft.. ??]
what u-joints did you use ?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:02 AM
The Molinator

U-Joints?

Was NOT easy.

From Canada.. search here for earlier thread about driveshaft/center bearing stuff.. . "Euro" something.. ??

PM me if you can't find. You need press, special technique to accomplish..

Subaru driveshaft NOT serviceable for U-Joints. New one ~ $500 and has to come with center bearing. This C-Clip "reman" technique costs ~ $35 x 3 = $105 for the U-Joints.. and about $95 for balancing after installations.. = ~ $200 total .. .

I can give you some tips if you do this .. I ruined the first U-Joint, attempting its installation! Oh.. You need a press, in my opinion!

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Found it.. www.euro-drive.com
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

A drive shaft shop can weld on a new u-joint and yoke with balancing for around $300. The good thing about it, you can then grease it and service it when needed.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Registered SVX

thanks jim
i was just curious
more then likely i will use ones common to a car here in aust
(holden commodore or il finally put my corolla to rest and steal the fairly new (about 4 years old but only did about 40k kms ) greasable ones out of it )
and get those bits welded to drive shaft .
im not even going to bother fixing the svx shaft
il just put the servicable ones on the liberty wagon shaft for my 5 speed

yeah dannmarr
problem is the closest "driveshaft" shops are probably 3 hours away