How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Pointless Conversion junky

EG33 "resto"

Well, I was looking for an EG33, and found one with ~150K KM on it.

Anyway, it seems that the engine has been out of the car (1993 Lsi that was "totalled") for about 2 years.

I have no experience with this engine, and so I have no idea what parts usually need to be replaced, or which parts break quickly etc. Basic EG33 housekeeping.

I'm going to be restoring it (as need be) to be in useable condition. (duh )

SO. The questions:
->What should I plan to replace outright?
->What parts should I check for issues?

And then any tips that anyone who has done this, that would be helpful for someone who has no experience with the EG33, would be Immensely appreciated!

1988 xt6 - EZ30DR swap in progress.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: EG33 "resto"

You should be basically set with just a "top end" rebuild. Aka, head gaskets up. I'm sure you will find that the factory cross hashing will still be visible, as is the case even with 200k+mile EG33's. They are very stout engines. When you do this, I would advise getting Cometic head gaskets if you plan on keeping the car for years to come. They are very pricey, but worth every penny if you intend on owning the car for many years. Also, make sure to get new head bolts and follow the torquing sequence closely upon reassembly.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-a-doobaru View Post
SO. The questions:
->What should I plan to replace outright?
->What parts should I check for issues?
GASKETS. There are a lot, change them all. Hoses as well. Just go on ebay and buy a bunch of silicone vac line in the diameters you need and go to town. Sensors you shouldn't have to worry much about, the short block you should have to worry about at all. Like Nate said, they are very solid engines, and during their service, typically not much was asked of them, so they are usually in excellent shape. Age will have affected them (the rubber bits mainly) more than anything else. You asked what things break easily on them, and the answer is not the engine, it's the trans.

+1 the cometic gaskets (I have a set in my garage) are noticeable very legit.

If you have more specific questions, ask away.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Registered SVX

how was the engine stored? if they capped everything off and stored it inside then you won't have to worry about much but if it was under a tarp outside with nothing capped off you will have more to do.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

+1 the cometic gaskets (I have a set in my garage) are noticeable very legit.

If you have more specific questions, ask away.
When you you have a set, does mean you have a set that I could buy from you?

Also, I'm not terribly worried about the trans, as the engine isn't going into an svx.

@1986nate, when you say "top end" what does that entail? I don't know a whole lot about engines.

@92snowmachine, it was stored outside unfortunately, knowing this, are there any things that I should specifically check?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

Also, I'm not terribly worried about the trans, as the engine isn't going into an svx.

@1986nate, when you say "top end" what does that entail? I don't know a whole lot about engines.

@92snowmachine, it was stored outside unfortunately, knowing this, are there any things that I should specifically check?
If you decide to take the intake manifold off, take the metal lines of with as one whole set or risk breaking solenoids like I did. They are attached to both sides of the fuel rail and if the lines are brittle (rubber hoses) the nipples on the solenoids will break off before the hose.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:

Nope. You can get them here: http://www.cometic.com/sportcompact.aspx You want the 98mm bore size, .066" thickness.

I know you're not worried about the trans, that was kind of my point. Out of curiosity, what trans are you planning to use?

Top end would mean basically taking off the heads, changing all the valve stem seals, headgaskets, changing all the other gaskets, etc.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX

since it was stored outside then you have to do a lot more cleaning. you will have to determine exactly what it needs when you disassemble it but i would plan on flushing out the fuel lines (and remove the injectors to clean them) because spiders love fuel lines. also will have to make sure you have no rust in the throttle body or on the plates. if there is rust inside the intake you might have to have it ultrasonically cleaned. clean out or replace all of the vacuum lines and replace the pcv valve. i would recommend to take off the oil pan and clean that out as well. moisture that gets into the pan doesn't usually show up because it forms sludge that sticks to the bottom and sides of the pan.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I know you're not worried about the trans, that was kind of my point. Out of curiosity, what trans are you planning to use?
Well, I know I'm being a moron, but until I can afford an ej trans, or find a reasonable solution, I'm going to be putting it behind the FT4WD that's in my xt-6. I'll just drive her nice and easy until I figure out a good solution. I'm hoping to somehow come across a 6spd imp trans for less than 2k, but I would imagine that that is being more than optimistic.