Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is it safe?

Can an AWD SVX be safely run with all the wheels off the ground?

eg. to diagnose brake squeal or tire balance.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Is it safe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

I had heard that this was a not so good thing to do. But, when Beav had my car up on the rack to diagnose the bearings, he ran it with all fours off the ground. I trust him implicitly, so, I would say it's okay.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-10-2002, 10:53 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Is it safe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

I think for a little while you can; Duff Subaru did for mine. I wonder if speed is an issue though? If not, I would like to jack up the car and see how fast it would go, with the wheels off of the ground to see where it's top speed is
Old 08-10-2002, 11:58 PM
sith

I seem to recall that one of the things that made running with all fours off the ground was the angle that the half axles (?) and all would be at. I have a memory of someone saying that it is much better for the car overall if you can keep the suspension in a semi-neutral position while you're running it.

Of course, this could all be figments of my imagination... sigh... i want my car back.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Trust me, it's easier to hear a brake squeal by driving past someone who is listening than to do it with the wheels suspended. Same goes for wheel balance - plus factor in that you'll be including half-shafts and driveshaft(s) and rotors.

It's a difficult issue to address after a few hours at TGI Fridays (hic) but the main concern has been safety, nobody wants anyone to get hurt (unless you're in a "daytime drama" - then you're on your own.) After that the next concern is the angle of the axle joints. I don't think it's a great issue with the SVX as long as the wheels are pointed forwards and the wheel speed is restricted to a reasonable level. There's no reason to run the wheels much past 45-50 mph - if a vibration doesn't occur by that speed it's probably just tire balance, lower than that is normally indicative of something not spinning true. When I spun "The Chief's" tires I was listening for a bearing noise, which is easy to detect at a low speed.

If you are set on doing this in the driveway please use jackstands and a huge amount of intelligence. If it means anything, I personally wouldn't attempt this on anything less than a frame contact hoist. Too much can happen too fast and so much can be lost or damaged. A rock can fly out of the tire tread and "put your eye out", not to mention what could happen if the car slipped off of a stand while cruising at 50 mph in the air. Professionally, I'm not scared of it, I just do it as a last resort and/or to confirm suspicion. Please be careful.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
For those who have run your AWD SVX with all 4 wheels off the ground (no FWD fuse) were the rear wheels rotating smooth or as if they were cutting in and out? Mine were not smooth!

I'm still positive that something is messed with my TCU or else my TPS is on the way out. The condition of my car has not changed for the last 3 or so months that I can remember (aside from the new door).
Old 08-23-2002, 06:59 AM
The Road Less Traveled

I had my car on a hoist when this was done, but we ended up putting a 2x4 against the ground, then to the wheel, to make the power transfer go from the front to the back. I do remember at one point the front's were spinning very jerky.

VK
Old 08-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
I had my car on a hoist when this was done, but we ended up putting a 2x4 against the ground, then to the wheel, to make the power transfer go from the front to the back. I do remember at one point the front's were spinning very jerky.

VK
If I recall correctly, mine were spinning smoothly. O'course, I was a couple of rooms away looking through a glass window.

(And, Beav, I was just assuming he was going to have his car on a lift -- but, then, we know what happens when we ass-u-me.)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Hmmm...perhaps I have a brake caliper that's not operating as smoothly as it could.

hehe, I'll get my dad to look into that