SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
What's a good remote start for manuals?

Remote start with a decent alarm system. I have an astro-start on my car currently which no longer works. The auto-start has just stopped working, the alarm has been wonky for years, and the buttons for the locks have fallen off the transmitter. It just needs to be replaced.

Before you go and say remote starts don't work on manuals, they are quite common up here, so tell me what's goooood nyuggaaa.

I'm looking at the Viper site http://www.viper.com/Products/Default.aspx
but they don't really mention whether their systems are auto-specific, but when I look on Ebay people selling them say they don't work with manuals. I don't know anything about the auto starting process or why it works on one car and not another.

Also, FYI, my car probably won't be back on the road until mid to late January.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I think the reason people say it won't work with a manual is because first, you have to bypass the clutch safety to start it, and when it does start, the starter is turning the whole input side of the transmission because the clutch is engaged, instead of just the engine. Bunches more stress on the starter.

Obviously, it can be done, just don't forget to leave you car out of gear when you park it

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Likely won't work cause most manuals have a "brake" safety to keep them from starting without the brake engaged. I do like the Viper system anything that's owned by Directed really. Just check which one has a remote you feel comfortable with. The rest doesn't matter cause they all come with the same stuff. Then again you can always link any remote to the system later. I'd say find a shop that hooks them up by deleteing the "brake" saftey and your good. Most places won't do it cause of liabilaties that's all.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
There's plenty of places to get it done up here I just don't want to spend $600 to get one installed.

I'm also mostly wondering if anyone has a system they feel is just really good and easy to use, with decent customization like if I need to turn shock sensitivity up or down, can it be done easily.

This wil be for the 5mt SVX so I dunno if that safety stuff applies. I've already got the wiring done through the current system I just need to replace modules.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Bad for your engine and bad for the environment to let it idle to warm up. A good supplemental car heater with remote may be a better choice. Leaves more option open for the alarm system.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I disagree about the idling being bad for the engine, that's ridiculous street myth. I park my car in a garage during the winter anyway and I can withstand 20F degree temps without a heater so I'm not worried about letting anything idle.

I just like the convenience that it offers sometimes.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Go with the directed products. I have installed more than I could possibly remember, and directed products are top of the line. I wouldn't suggest installing it on a manual, strictly for safety reasons. However you can hook the neutral safety input to the e-brake wire, so the remote start will not function unless the e-brake is on. Any questions, feel free.
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM

Registered SVX
We have a Python alarm/remote start on our manual '94 prelude. It's worked very well for us, we've had it on almost 2 years now with no complaints. It's hooked into the e-brake so it can't start unless the e-brake is pulled, however it can start even if it's in gear. This happened once when the e-brake wasn't pulled all the way (the sensor just goes off the e-brake light, so it doesn't know how far it's pulled), and I left it in gear because it was parked in the slanted part of a driveway. Well I accidently hit the fob button in my pocket and it bucked and jerked it's way right into my mom's mustang. Other than that incident we've never had a problem, and it was my own fault for leaving it in gear, I just didn't trust the e-brake alone to keep it from rolling out of the driveway. I've solved that problem by just not parking in the slanted part of a driveway anymore.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Or you could just use wheel chocks. =D

Really the last thing I'm worried about is starting it in gear.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
Likely won't work cause most manuals have a "brake" safety to keep them from starting without the brake engaged.
That's automatics, not manuals. I have never once in my life owned a manual transmission car that needed the brake pressed in to start, only the clutch.

Some automatic's I've seen require you to press the brake pedel to start, but not many.

I want to get a remote starter for my car, but it worries me. I habitually leave the car in first gear(or reverse if i'm facing up hill), and virtually never use the e-brake. It really only takes one "oops" to make you regret the remote start.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!