Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lime Rock Again

Thought my season was over, but got a call from NASA NE two weeks ago saying that a spot had opened up in HPDE 3 at Lime Rock on November 3. I guess that means I'm now officially promoted to HPDE 3. HPDE 3 sessions have extended passing zones, and require no instructor sign-off to solo. I also can attend the open track sessions, that have no instructors and have no sessions, just unlimited track access for the entire day.

Here is a track map of Lime Rock:

It was a good day if very cold. I really worked on finding speed, especially in the No Name Straight, the Uphill, the Diving Turn also known as the Downhill. These last two turns are really a test of cojones. You can't believe how fast you can take these turns. Finding the limit is a real test of courage, because the limit is so high and the penalty for exceeding the limit involves an intimate association with the Armco. Here is a shot of me entering the uphill at the end of No Name. Because it is an uphill, the car is really compressed and there is a lot of grip. The only caveat is to have the car straight when you crest the top of the hill onto the straight right after the turn. If you are still turning, you have a good chance of spinning when the car gets light. With work, I'm hitting about 100mph at the end of No Name. Just getting to the point that I have to shift, because I'm hitting about 7200 rpm in third.

The other speed opporunity is through the West Bend, the Downhill and onto the main straight. With courage screwed up, I'm able to take the Downhill at maybe 80-85 mph. This translates into about 110 at the end of the main straight. Here is a shot of the West Bend. I passed the Miata on the main straight immediately after this shot:

I'm still having some problems in the Big Bend. The whole sequence through the Big Bend, the Left Hander and the Esses is complicated. The Left Hander is really a throw-away. It should be driven to set up to maximize early throttle on through the right hander onto No-Name. So, setting up the Esses has to start all the way back at the turn-in to Big Bend. Pretty complicated.

So my track tires are now in the basement for the winter. It was a very good year.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dan,
Sounds like you ended the season on a good note
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

Yes, it did. No off's in the last 6 track days. Car ran well the last part of the year. New tires and new alignment work very well. Starting to pass people again. Five months until first track day of 2008 at Lime Rock, again. Hope you get more track time in the new year. When you do, keep the shiney side up.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Very nice Dan, very nice

Todd
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I really want to do this next year....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Sicksubie:

Sports Car Driving Association (SCDA) does track days at New Hampshire International. NASCAR track plus infield road. I've never driven there so I don't know anything about the track. Lots of groups do events at Lime Rock. SCDA, NASA NE (PDA Driving School), etc. I would recommend that you go with a group that provides instructors. Cost at Lime Rock Park per day is about $250-275. A few things to do before you go out. Use a high performance DOT 4 brake fluid. Get good brake pads, especially front. I really, really like Axxis Ultimates. Would suggest you install speed bleeders on the calipers. I bleed my brakes before every track day. The speed bleeders make it a one man 15 minute operation. I would add water wetter to your radiator fluid. Your signautre doesn't say what you have done to springs and shocks, but a GC/Koni set-up handles very very differently from the stock set-up. Finally, tires. The SVX is a heavy car, so, a good set of Ultimate Performance Summer Dry tires, BFG G-Force KDW's, Bridgestone RE01-R's, Yoko Advan Neova AD07's , or Falken Azeni's would be a big help.

Dan

Last edited by shotgunslade; 11-10-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I have water wetter already in, those are the pads that I have, I am getting the Koni/GC set up ths winter, and I am running 225/45/17 RE070's currently.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Sounds like you are good to go. Look forward to seeing you out there.