Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-30-2002, 04:34 PM

Licensed? I don't care about no stinking license!

Seriously, I don't mind getting my hands dirty, and I actually have a lot of the tools to do the work... I just don't have the space or the time right now... mainly the space. The only place I have to work is my parent's garage, and my brother has both of his BMW 2002s in there right now. I've even done an engine swap on one of them back when it was mine.

In the future I may be doing my own work on the SVX, but right now most of my "car budget" is going towards getting my 89 CRX prepped for autocrossing. The thing that really got me about this whole service/water pump thing is that what they were initially charging me would almost pay for a complete VTEC engine swap into the CRX.

And for you guys located in KC, there's a purple 92 SVX at Import Auto Salvage, off of 1-70 and 1-435, across from Royals stadium. It was hit on the left side, but everything is still there... all I've taken so far is the center console/armrest piece. They've pulled the engine and seats, but they still have the seats in the building... not sure about the engine.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Dammit if anything, the center arm rest would've been one of things I wanted. Got a tear in mine just aft of the lid.

Seriously though, if the water pump and belts were the only things that were critical to you, then I'd just spend the $160 to get them and do the work yourself. It really shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours. Most of our time was spent figuring out why we couldn't loosen the tensioner pulley (without first loosening the pulley bolt, duh!) and figuring out how to get bolts on the crank and cam pulleys loose and running back and forth to beg/borrow powered tools. If you have the tools to get those bolts loose, then it should take no time at all. Even the seals don't sound that hard, but we never got that far.

KuoH
Old 05-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Hater

i think its always in your best interest to replace/inspect/change stuff WYAIT - While You Are In There. save a few bucks now - pay more later. besides, you get a little peace of mind. enough to worry about with tranny and bearings.

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-04-2002, 09:25 AM

UPDATE!!!

Well, I just got a call and my car is ready. However, the price jumped from around $1370 to over $1800

They're claiming this is due to the cost of some bolts and covers. They're even claiming they did me a favor by not charging for drilling out some broken bolts, when they're the only ones to ever work on the car, so who would have broken the bolts??!!

I've already told them I'm not happy and that I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future, but what else can I do?