How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-31-2005, 02:13 AM
The Molinator

HELP! $3000 later!!!

Please tell me your best differential diagnosis for my problem! I got my SVX back after head gasket replacement (and a few upgrades like phenolic spacers and aluminum crank pulley [ala Dayle] plus extra parts, like water pump/thermostat/knock sensors/spark plugs/timing belt/seals and gaskets)......AND it runs horribly upon acceleration..making air intake noise with very little power or acceleration! It also doesn't make the nice Porsche-type muffler sounds it made before...??? [Magnaflow with high-flow CAT installed ~4/04]

Otherwise it runs good....with smooth engine operation, low acceleration operation fine, and NO OVERHEATING SO FAR!

I'm worried this dysfunctional operation may lead to the same problems which resulted in a head gasket failure like I just had!!! Please give me your best guess differential diagnosis for this malfunction [It deteriorated into this very poor operation during acceleration when the head gasket problem developed about 5 weeks ago (AC partial - hot air - failures, poor acceleration WITH SUBSTANTIAL PINGING, and then OVERHEATING....in that order!). It pinged ALOT when trying to accelerate before.....now it doesn't ping noticeably, but still has almost no power or acceleration!

My differential diagnosis is:

1) Catalytic Convertor clogged somehow (although relatively new!).
2) FUEL PRESSURE Check =>
A) FUEL PUMP Weak - Not sure this is how fuel pumps go? [slowly]
B) FUEL FILTER - unlikely since changed about 1 to 1 1/2 years go
(20 to 30,000 miles)
3) TIMING - don't know how to adjust....?
4) TPS
5) MAF
6) SCAN TOOL to diagnose - which sensor, which malfunction

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 08-31-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 AM

What does the mechanic who did the work say?

dcb
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree, take it back.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:07 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth to me...

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth to me...
I actually figured it wasn't reinstalled correctly to begin with.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM
The Molinator

Guess What....?

My mechanic agreed that one of the relatively few explanations for the CONTINUED poor performance (no power, very low acceleration) was the CATALYTIC CONVERTOR BEING CLOGGED..... [he had heard a rattle during dismantling engine ...] I had noticed almost no Porsche-like noise from exhaust....

Took it to muffler shop this AM......IT WAS THE CAT! TOTALLY BLOWN APART FRONT OF "HIGH-FLOW CAT" (Dayle - 1 1/2 years old - part of Magnaflow exhaust system)....looking at back of CAT showed major clogging also... MufflerMan was worried forward CATS could have disintegrated into high-flow CAT... causing the failure...But later we decided it was a high-flow CAT failure evidently! Replaced it for $150....Back to my old SVX! Maybe even better!!! I still have to put on the ECUtune Stage 1 MOD (CAN'T WAIT)...[Last night in a last ditch attempt to correct the performance problem, I replaced the TPS (had the part for about 2 years...was going to solve another bizarre previous problem which ultimately went away [without ever really being diagnosed!]... so, I never installed....The TPS did have a spot [close to usual pedal (TPS) position] that the resistance would jump around....I notice the new TPS results in a smoother, more consistent acceleration!

Hope this may help someone else here! THANKS!

P.S. The aluminum crank pulley DOES seem to yield a quicker acceleration (RPM's) of the engine! not such a lag...
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 08-31-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: ps