SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Unhappy axle boots

i found that my driver side cv boot has cracked and blown it's grease everywhere. they all need replaced so my question is: how hard is it to do, where can i get the boots and what's it gonna cost me?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I just did this job a week ago on miy 92. Took me about 4 hours total. I am very meticulous and calculating. I'm sure a professional or some other guys here could do it in about and hour.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being easiest and 10 being hardest, I'd rate this a 5. The biggest pains are getting the axle nut off (32mm socket needed) and keeping grease from getting all over yourself.

I paid about $30 to do it myself.
I bought the inner and outer CV boot Kits from Advance Auto Parts.
Inner Front - Powertrain Components (PTC) 61159 - $15 + tax
Outer Front - Powertrain Components (PTC) 61160 - $15 + tax

If you buy the parts from subaruparts.com you will spend around $40 plus shipping. If you buy from a local dealer you pay quite a bit more.

The boots were made of nice thick rubber, but the boot bands SUCKED !!! I had to throw away the small ones and use regular hose clamps because they were too small. If I had to do over again, I would buy the dealer boot bands and save myself a lot of headache. Also, you can recycle the bands if you're careful when taking them off.

Good luck. Marc

Last edited by svxcuseme; 08-24-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

cool. thanks for the info. i'll get to fixin it soon.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
A few points to remember:

Wash out all old grease with a solvent (clean paint thinner or brake cleaner). The reason is that some greases are incompatible and you don't want that inside your joint.

Thoroughly dry and liberally grease the joints and the inside of the boot. Apply a thin layer on the inside of the boot making sure to get it in all the folds.

I agree that the OEM bands are the easiest to install.

As long as the axles are out, price out having them balanced to make sure they aren't causing any extra vibrations.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

.... Or if your like me, you might just wanna replace the whole axle. Advance has a lifetime warranty one for like $70 or so. Keep in mind that once the boot breaks it lets crap in which isn't good for the bearing. Besides, you tend to get less greasy my way. If it just has a little hole in a boot though, we put silicone 2 in ours to fill the hole after I had a little mishap with the grinder. Seems to be holding nicely after a couple 1/4 miles and an autox.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
A few points to remember:

Wash out all old grease with a solvent (clean paint thinner or brake cleaner). The reason is that some greases are incompatible and you don't want that inside your joint.

As long as the axles are out, price out having them balanced to make sure they aren't causing any extra vibrations.

Doug
So I guess an entire halfshaft assembly is balanced all at once? Have you done this with your half-shafts? Any corrective weights added?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
So I guess an entire halfshaft assembly is balanced all at once? Have you done this with your half-shafts? Any corrective weights added?
I had it done once. The right rear needed a weight welded to it, the rest were fine. Oddly enough, the center driveshaft was the one that was the most out of balance when I had the U-Joints replaced on it.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I knew there was a tool for the bands! Depending on which bands you use for the boots, one of these boot band tools could be helpful.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW423.html#3232

Also, I replaced my XT axles with remanufactured ones from AutoZone about ten years ago. As soon as I got them in ,they both started knocking around corners, the job was too big and I was too tired of messing with them to take them back.

Replacing the axles is a great idea. If you go this route, get some recomendations on where to buy quality rebuilt ones.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme
Also, I replaced my XT axles with remanufactured ones from AutoZone about ten years ago. As soon as I got them in ,they both started knocking around corners, the job was too big and I was too tired of messing with them to take them back.

Replacing the axles is a great idea. If you go this route, get some recomendations on where to buy quality rebuilt ones.
I generally stay away from rebuilt parts unless I or someone local that I trust rebuilds them. I never seem to have any luck with over the counter rebuilds.

I've heard that the rebuilt axles just use larger joint bearings to fill in the worn out area, but that could just be a rumor.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Cool

i'm thinking i'm just gonna go with boots just cause my axles make no noise and all but i still might just replace the whole axle. any other suggestions on where to find the axles from somewhere other than advance auto parts? autozone doesn't seem to have them anymore according to the website.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
any other suggestions on where to find the axles from somewhere other than advance auto parts?
Anywhere you get 'em they can be bad from new. Its part of the rebuilding process it seems much like a rebuilt master cylinder.

Online I've heard good things about www.cvaxle.com but have never used 'em.

Last edited by benebob; 08-25-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The outer joints usually won't disassemble (or easily disassemble) so you'll need to replace both inner and outer boots as you'll have to remove the inner joint from the shaft in order to replace the outer boot. (master of the run-on sentence)

The band tool you'll want, as an occasional user, is the KD 3191 on the page listed above.

Half shafts are not normally balanced as they are small diameter and don't spin very fast at all. You'll never see an OE unit with weights or grinder slots on them indicating any type of balance process. Regular driveshafts spin 3-4 ( insert axle ratio for exact multiplier) times faster than the half shafts and are balanced for that reason.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Red face

the hardest part about this process is not having anywhere but a city street to work on it at. what sort of tools will i need to disassemble the joints?