How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-09-2005, 08:04 PM
The Molinator

Head Gasket...?

Can anyone let me know what a head gasket problem was likely caused by?.. AND/OR please tell me how common this (failed block test) situation is with our SVX's? Should I sell my SVX (for scrap, basically...as is) OR fix it up to wait for the AT to need rebuilding or ?....PLEASE ADVISE...!

THANKS! for your help.. . .

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
massive overheating, resulting in a warping of the head allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber.....

If the rest of the car is in good shape, just start looking for another EG33!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 AM
red95svx

Head gaskets are like any other gasket. Eventually they start to deteriorate, and when they do they allow coolant to pass through. As the gasket ages the problem gets worse. It could very well be that your headgasket problem was nothing more than worn gaskets. They don't last forever.

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 02:13 PM
The Molinator

Heat!

It's possible...But I don't think the engine overheated severely!...? The time it heated up the most based on my info...was when I was driving it a couple of miles from my ex-wife's place to mine...to park the SVX...right after I rented a car to use...while waiting for my mechanic to be able to start the head gasket job! It almost went into the red...but didn't seem to spike high even then...[however, when I got to my place there was a hissing...resulting from the upper radiator hose popping a leak from the heat!].

My point is...I don't think there was even half that much heat produced in the engine prior to that incident! Yet, the block test failed at THAT time!..??

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
It's possible...But I don't think the engine overheated severely!...? The time it heated up the most based on my info...was when I was driving it a couple of miles from my ex-wife's place to mine...to park the SVX...right after I rented a car to use...while waiting for my mechanic to be able to start the head gasket job! It almost went into the red...but didn't seem to spike high even then...[however, when I got to my place there was a hissing...resulting from the upper radiator hose popping a leak from the heat!].

My point is...I don't think there was even half that much heat produced in the engine prior to that incident! Yet, the block test failed at THAT time!..??

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

THANKS!
James,
Probably age + the final "almost to the red" event did it. Had the temperature gage been fluctuating for a while leading up to the "almost to the red" event?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
The Molinator

"hot Head"

Well...It just started to rise fairly rapidly (over several secconds)....while trying to get my SVX about 3 miles away ..from my ex's house to my house! I would turn it off when it got close to the red....it would cool off while coasting....then I'd start it ..to get it going a little...then coast again as it started to heat up!

BUT...the failed block test came days before this...and I never noticed any substantial heating on temp gauge...or any other symptom..like steam..or very poor perormance.. . . . .

THANKS!

P.S. Should I fix it...OR is it FRIED....Like someone suggested..should I get a new engine.. I've been offered a used engine (guaranteed 6 months - no labor of course) for $750...with "estimated mileage" of 120K out of a 1995 like mine...??? from a yard.. . . .
Old 08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
750 seems a little high, or is that an installed price?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
750 seems a little high, or is that an installed price?
-Bill

I think $750 for an SVX motor is a good deal. Our local junkyards want $1,000+ just for the 2.5 liters.

Dave
Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
I think $750 for an SVX motor is a good deal. Our local junkyards want $1,000+ just for the 2.5 liters.

Dave
Regional prices vary Dave. Not sure where James lives, but I agree with Bill that $750 sounds high. I've delivered an engine with barely over 100K to SC from MI for $550, course it was for a good friend here and I was heading to NC to visit family.

James, www.car-part.com is your friend

I would recommend replacing the headgaskets. I replaced mine after one failed. Removed the engine and did the job in my garage using the FSM directions. Parts were cheap (~$30 per gasket) and I checked everything for flatness while it was apart and found no warped surfaces on the heads or block leading me to believe the gasket failed due to old age and an overheating incident. A combustion gas in coolant test confirmed my suspicions and the dealers $1800 repair bill estimate in 2002 inspired me to repair it myself.

Todd
Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
and if Todd can do it, anyone can (j/k!!!!)
-Bill (wishing he had half the cool car tools that Todd has....)

My Locker
Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Head gasket failure?

I have to ask, why does the SVX have this sort of trouble.? Modern engines should not have this fault.
I think it has to do with the engine design. If you look at the engine, from the front, it has the block mounted to the frame, with two heavy twin cam heads, with gears, exhaust headers and pipes hanging out the sides.
All this is held up by the head bolts. As the car is subjected to vertical forces ( over high speed bumps) Inerta tends to move the heads up and down, streching the bolts and squashing the head gasket, till it blows.

This theory is renforced by the fact that the inlet manifold, that braces the two heads together, tends to work lose. ( a common idling problem).
I remember SVX Commuter had the two exhaust manifolds hit the road, over a big dip. The force squashed the gasket and the face of the head. Although this was a major force, it does show the flexabilty of the design.

Maybe there could be some sort of support bracket, running from the crankcase up to the heads to brace them, to prevent the movement.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 AM
The Molinator

BLEW my GASKET!

HeH! Harvey! I didn't know that....thanks for the info! Sounds like it IS relevant to this issue! ... . . . .

THANKS!

P.S. WHATAYATHINK HARVEY....Fix or replace engine?

P.P.S. HEH!...Is this a common problem with SVX's....NOBODY HAS REALLY STATED THIS IN ANY DETAIL....OR WITH ANY AUTHORITY...?

Last edited by James Scott; 08-12-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Mine have failed as I stated and John's (svx_commuter) have failed. Others have posted symptoms. Not sure if that qualifies as a common failure in what is an uncommon car. I'm not sure why it really matters if it is a common failure? I would think what is really important is whether YOUR headgaskets have failed. What type of authority do you want? Have you searched the site for headgaskte failure posts? Would this help you with the DETAILS or AUTHORITY you need? I've posted a verified test method to determine if they have failed, a parts cost for the gaskets themselves (also can be verified at www.subaruparts.com) and a cost for a Subaru dealership to do the job, albeit a 3 year old price. Not sure what else you need James???

Todd
Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
and if Todd can do it, anyone can (j/k!!!!)
-Bill (wishing he had half the cool car tools that Todd has....)
Your confidence in my abilities is duly noted my friend (along with your jealousy in my tool collection-where is the na na na boo boo smiley???)

Todd
Old 08-12-2005, 02:48 PM
The Molinator

Well! Todd!

I guess what I'm looking at...is ...if there aren't many head gaskets failing...then wouldn't it be more likely that something weird...OR more devastating (like cracked head!) has taken place to cause this problem!!!
I guess it seems to me that ETIOLOGY is very important so I can "sleep at night"....HA! It seems strange to me that a head gasket would just FAIL for no OTHER reason at 112,000 miles! [Without some specific abuse or mechanical or maintenance reason!]

Please don't take it personally....I APPRECIATE AND VALUE YOUR COMMENTS!

[Secretly, I'm hoping I'll wake up and find out I'm just dreaming about this failure....I REALLY DON'T HAVE AN EXTRA $2,000 to $3,000 to throw at my SVX right now!]

THANKS!