How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2002, 03:59 PM
billpat

Angry Rebuilt transmission

After blowing a "transmission seal" I brought my 1992 SVX to AAMCO where I was advised I needed a rebuild of to transmission to replace burned down "clutches" etc. $3,000 later, after I got my SVX back from AAMCO, I noticed a chattering or vibration on hard acceleration from say 15 to 45 MPH. The tech at AAMCO told me thois was just a matter of :greaking in the new clutches", etc and "fixed the problem" by taking the fuse out of the AC slot and putting it into the front wheel drive onlyposition.

Since the AC fuse controls the radiator fan I nearly cracked the engine open from gross overheating, I. E., no fan running led to my temperature guage going out of range before I noticed the problem.

The local Suburu repair shop says no way does a rebuilt tranny's clutches have to wear in b before the vibration/hesitation I experienced will go away. They say AAMCO 's work should be discarded and I should purchase a new tranny from Subaru.

Any comments and advice?
Old 03-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Aamco is feeding you a line and hoping you'll swallow. Jump their fanny hard and fast, call the home office and be fair and firm. No name calling, just the facts. I know it can be difficult and it shouldn't have to come to this but it's also a heckuva a lot of money. If they balk tell them you're prepared to go to court and they better pray that your engine doesn't suffer any further damage or they'll be springing for a new one of those too.

Beav